PDA

View Full Version : Huge Collectors Lot Of Vintage Boating Memorabilia

Tysonpitt
03-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Largest amount of stuff I have seen in one place.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/4391543265.html (http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/4391543265.html)

LaveyT
03-28-2014, 01:28 PM
That's some cool stuff, Greg, you know you gotta have it!

Mark75H
03-28-2014, 04:43 PM
A drop in the bucket. I have this times approximately 15

I have 2 chests and a file cabinet full of historical literature from the 1920's to present

A huge amount of the historical pics you see here on Screamandfly, other websites and Facebook came from scans from my collection.

Without seeing all of it, its hard to justify his asking price.

Dave S
03-28-2014, 07:36 PM
HeeHee.... but Sam.....your stuff is in a cellar and it's raining out side.......ya better get movin.....

Mark75H
03-28-2014, 09:30 PM
I'm using a sponge ... and your old issues of Powerboat :D

Tysonpitt
03-29-2014, 10:58 AM
That would be like asking you to take a picture of every single piece of literature you have to justify it. Its a lot from a certain time period. The posters, clock sign alone are probably worth half the asking price if not a little more. The literature between $5 - $50 depending on the piece, who wants and how bad they want it. At the end of the day you can always make an offer.

Mark75H
03-29-2014, 10:02 PM
I mean, there's no picture of the whole stack. I agree it would be unreasonable to scan or photograph each one ... but there is no way I would expect anyone to make an offer on my collection without seeing how high the stack is.

The lighted clock is a relatively new item ... not sure it has that much value yet. Like new versions of similar OMC posters sell for $30 or so on eBay if you want one. (I only see 2 Merc posters, are there more?) I'm pretty sure the clock and posters could not bring $250 on eBay, esp as a package. Having to take the whole package devalues each item quite a bit, same thing with large groups of motors.

Suppose it was a collection of motors and the ad said ... here are some pictures of some of my old motors ... I don't know exactly how many I have and neither do you, but I'd like to have $5,000 for the lot. Could be 20 motors or 2,000 motors ... could be 15 race motors or 500 race motors ... might just be 5 race motors and 1995 5 to 20 hp motors ... Make sense yet? How high is "up"? On the other hand, he might even be short changing himself ... there could potentially be a single item worth $575, if he were to clearly show it. I have occasionally found a few diamonds in the rough - but there were clues that made me take the risk.

Who would take the risk?

Dave S
03-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Add stuff is cool but hard goods get the cash. Do ya want a old pix of 75h or a 20 40 75 H.....I like the real goods. Give me a real race boat not a pix......But I do buy old paper work and books.....1890ssss and younger.