PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Dodge Dakota

Psyco
07-27-2001, 09:48 PM
I bought my Dak new in May '93. It's a 3.9 V-6 w/auto. At present it has 229,000 miles!! You name it I've towed it...boats(12'john-24'Scarab),motor homes(20'),my race car with tools and accessories(app.5500lbs.). My secret to longevity? TRANSMISSION COOLER,electric brakes for larger tows(the truck actually stops better),a reciever hitch, and a good tune. The truck has NEVER left me stranded. I rebuilt the trans. last year, replaced the timing chain at 180,000 mi.(highly recommended for any make of vehicle),and put a new rack & pinion at 190,000 mi.,replaced radiator and water pump at 200,000mi, and that's about it as far as "major" repairs. With this many miles the poor old engine is startin' to show it's age. She's down on power an' startin' to burn a little oil. But that's O.K. I've got a fresh 3.9 on the stand waitin' for this one to finally give up. Dodge...Damned Old Dodge Go's Everwhere.!! And yes the truck still looks good,you'd never know she has that many miles on her.

[Edited by Psyco on 07-27-2001 at 09:50 PM]

jag
08-03-2001, 10:54 AM
I've got the same truck '93 club cab with 3.9L. I have 173,000 on mine. I LOVE THE TRUCK, it's never left me stranded either. I've put a new timing chain in at 100,000, new starter at 140,000, and a fuel pump two months ago. Have you ever checked to see if you'r belly pan gasket is leaking look down the throttle body with a flashlight and see if it's wet with oil on the inside of the manifold. I've been looking at a dakota message board and that's a problem with these motors. It causes some oil burning and loss of power. I checked mine and it's leaking I'm going to change it when I get around to it. Also if you ever have trouble with the motor pinging on regular unleaded install autolite 3923 spark plugs and a 180* thermostat it will take care of the detonation.

Psyco
08-06-2001, 10:56 PM
Change the tower bushing and intermediate shaft while you have the intake off. These are week points in these 3.9's. I'll get you the PN's here shortly.