PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to this site

ec2407
01-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi yall my name is max and I'm new to this sight. I just got me a 180 VT stratus tunnel hull speed boat. The boat a 200hp mercury high performance outboard.i was wondering what yall thought about the boat or if anyone has any suggestions. Thank yall for ya time

Corona Mike
01-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Welcome To Scream And Fly! There Is PLENTY Of Great Info On The Site. I'm Pretty Sure There Has Been Some Discussions On The Stratus VT's As Well As Several Other Tunnel-V's. Good Luck With Your Boat And Be Safe! Mike T.

Dave Strong
01-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Welcome, many have started with less. Good luck be safe.

Dave

tux974
01-17-2014, 06:59 AM
Max, welcome to the site, you will fit right in with that very nice rig! :thumbsup:

Flatlander
01-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Welcome Max..... I used to own a 18VT Rocket that looked just like yours. It had a 200 on it also. It was a fun boat! The major problem with these is the flotation foam in the rear of the boat. It tends to to get water logged and very very heavy. I spent several days laying under the rear deck cutting and digging out foam. I probably pulled out a hundred pounds or better. Luckily all the wood was still in good shape. I also reinforced the transom while I was in there. After getting the foam out, the boat ran well. I don't know the exact speed, but it was indicating a little over 80 on the speedo. Once you get them up and running they are pretty stable...mine tended to have a little rock side to side off the sponsons. Be safe and enjoy your new boat.

ec2407
03-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Hey thanks everybody... hey mr. Flatlander, once you pulled out the flotation foam did your boat pick up speed, and if so how much???

Flatlander
03-20-2014, 07:02 AM
When I first picked up the boat it really wasn't set up for speed. The motor was low and it had a ski prop on it. I immediately removed all the wet foam, reinforced the transom, replaced the motor with a modified XR6(approx 200 HP), added a nosecone and ran a 27" SRX (also a 25" Predator Eagle). So to answer your question, I'm sure it picked up speed, but I can't tell you how much. I easily pulled out 100pounds of wet foam though. Crawl back under the rear deck and on each side the foam is about 1 1/2 feet thick (if I remember correctly). Take a long sharp knife and cut out a deep block and feel down inside to see if it is wet. If so, you know what you will have to do...

Hey thanks everybody... hey mr. Flatlander, once you pulled out the flotation foam did your boat pick up speed, and if so how much???

Stoker1
03-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Looks like you was out on Deer Point and Bear Creek?

ec2407
03-29-2014, 12:42 AM
Thankyou Flatlander I'll definitely give that a try and yes stoker1 I was running out on deer point lake I live in bayou george...