PDA

View Full Version : STV Modvp

Chummy
01-10-2014, 08:29 AM
Nice modvp saw it just a few years ago, this is Hank/Raceman/Halffast's old boat

http://lafayette.craigslist.org/boa/4270686238.html

PARKER RABE
01-13-2014, 07:39 PM
that bitch will never bring 28000

thunter764
01-14-2014, 10:20 AM
I bought it. Picking it up this weekend.

Instigator
01-14-2014, 11:15 AM

I thought that was the one you already had?? Or did you sell it and buy it back?

Or wanting one more x-raceman boat to screw an OMC on to give him even more heart burn?

I can't keep up with you ;)

Raceman
01-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Tim, if you stick another OMC on another one of my boats I'm gonna' come up there. There's one more of my STV's floatin' around somewhere if you want to have the whole set and then maybe you could start in on my former Allisons. The one you haven't had yet was solid red with a Mirage humped coffin hatch on the back (the first one I did) but somebody added some either white or black color on it. I sold it to Parker and I think Yammer had it at one time. Don't know where it is now. I had all three STV's at the same time and now don't have any.:(

Frank Molé
01-14-2014, 03:45 PM

go tim,looks nice...................

thunter764
01-14-2014, 09:02 PM
You guys picking on me? LOL, I feel the Love:D

Ok so here is the straight scoop on my STV ModVp ownership. I have owned two. One painted similar to this one and the one in racemans avatar. Years ago when I started looking for one I wanted an all original two seater pleasure version. The only two I could find were this one Hank had and one Paul was selling up near the border. Neither were available. So I bought the first one and fixed it up then sold it. Then I found the original hotboat magazine test boat and wanted to buy that one even though it was a little hacked up but he decided not to sell at that time. Then Duane called me and the stv/ frankenrude deal was on. Sold that in October, he wanted it turn key and I could not talk him out of it. About a week before Chummy posted this I had been doing my regular search for an original and found it. Wow, 28k,I thought the same thing as Parker..no way it could be worth that much, I almost passed out. I was about ready to call about the red rr with the monty e-tech when he lowered the price to 28k but it was still out of my budget and then the ad got deleted. So I took a chance the seller was not firm on the price and gave him a call. Well it looks like the most original STV ModVp I know the whole history on will be coming to NC. I hope my search is over. Norris I will try not to put an omc on it unless frankenrude falls back into my hands or the guy with the red rr has a buyer for the hull but needs a home for that sweet Monty E-tech/F1 combo or if Gary builds me a screaming V-8;)

BTW thanks to ChrisJustice for the history lesson on the boat and Lee Sanderson for helping me determine that the engine is NOT a true drag engine but a 260 modified to drag specs.

Now if I just did not have to drive 40 hours:rolleyes:

Onetime
01-14-2014, 09:08 PM
Ahhh! Short trip for the right boat!

Instigator
01-15-2014, 04:07 AM
So Frank is still on the old STV?

Ally101
01-15-2014, 05:36 PM
I thinks this is jack Kennedy's boat if it is I seen it 2 years ago and it was a clean boat and always had a cover on it. I would be surprised if its been in water since. I think al Clark at ALS performance marine did most of the rigging and motor work. But I could be mistaken

Raceman
01-15-2014, 08:01 PM
I thinks this is jack Kennedy's boat if it is I seen it 2 years ago and it was a clean boat and always had a cover on it. I would be surprised if its been in water since. I think al Clark at ALS performance marine did most of the rigging and motor work. But I could be mistaken

This is DEFINATELY the boat that Hank Hogan (BBH on Scream and Fly) bought new. I was the second owner. I sold it to Half Fast who sold it back to Hank. Hank did all of the rigging when new. When I bought it from Hank it had the 260 on it on a bass mid. I changed it to a 20" offshore and finally to a 15" mid when I owned it. When it left here it had a 260 with some Triecheal mods, a Merc 15" factory mid and a Sportmaster. I think the best I ever saw on it was 123 with the 260. It had cable and pulley steering but I think somebody changed it to something else. After Hank blew his other STV over on the Suwanee I know he had a drag powerhead left over. I don't remember if it ever ended up on this boat. Of the 3 STV Mod VP's I owned, this one had the straightest mold work and was also a medium layup boat which meant I could walk up and down the deck without the creaking and cracking noises my solid red one made. This boat had both the 2 seat rear hatch and a red coffin hatch when I sold it.

Instigator
01-17-2014, 07:57 AM
On the road now to get it..hope it is still as new and straight as you all remember or its going to be a long trip for nothing!

Very cool. Good luck on the road and be careful.

thunter764
01-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks Gary

thunter764
01-21-2014, 04:46 PM

That is correct. I just got off the phone with Al. Super nice guy. He did the work on the powerhead and said it was a pretty fresh motor. He confirmed what Lee said, it is not a drag but a 260 modified like an early drag, eyebrow specs, block stiffners, wizzard pistons etc. I ran it yesterday and it's pretty fat on the tune but pulled very well and sounds nasty. I am not sure it will work for my lake use so I may sell the powerhead and put on a 280 or 225. I ran it to 110 yesterday at 8800 with a 28 in a short distance. It likes to run wide open!