PDA

View Full Version : Unlevel running attitude

dbersuch
12-12-2013, 01:53 PM
I have a '94 21' Gambler bass boat. My question is, once up on plane, what would cause a boat to be 3 or 4 inches higher in the water on the starboard side? The boat levels out at speed with full trim but anytime you slow down enough that the boat settles into the water a little it leans to port. Anybody ever experience this before?

specboatops
12-12-2013, 01:57 PM
^ your beer belly;):smiletest:

Really though, batteries, gear, look at where everything is located and try to move a few things around, I also own a Gambler ( SuperSport ) it's more of a ski boat than a fishing boat, mine was similar until I moved stuff around some.

dbersuch
12-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Actually it's my side of the boat that rides high. Does it even if I am in the boat alone. Batteries are actually more towards my side of the boat as well.

specboatops
12-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Move batteries to opposite side, betting your problem will be solved. Do you have the plaining pads on your boat / I know a few of the newer Gamblers have those, was going to ask how youliked them.

dbersuch
12-12-2013, 02:27 PM
I do not have the planing pads. Boat has a good hole shot, just rides a little crooked until you really get up on the pad.

rock
12-12-2013, 05:23 PM
You could do some measuring to be sure the motor is on there correctly. Bought a Hydrostream once and just about couldn't drive the thing till I figured out it wasn't staying square due to slop in the hydraulic jack plate. It rode funky also.

Rock

dbersuch
12-13-2013, 07:52 AM
It does have a fixed plate and a spacer for 9 1/2" of setback. Maybe something is off center.

jaybluez
12-14-2013, 07:56 PM
I had an allison that did the same thing. I now have a bullet and does the same thing, think it has to do with weight distribution and rotation of the prop. I never gave it much attention because simply trimming the motor up a little and the boat levels out.

I have heard of the jackplate not being level causing the same problem but also affected the driveability at high speeds.

Lockjaw
12-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Mine does that when I am going slow unless I trim up the motor.

dbersuch
12-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Does the installation of a LWP make the factory speedometer unusable?

rock
12-18-2013, 07:06 PM
I have seen them with cast in tubes to make the speedo work.

dbersuch
12-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Is there much speed to be gained with a LWP if you don't have a hydraulic jack plate?

rock
12-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Hydraulic plates do the same thing as fixed plates, just easier and quicker. If you are in the 80 mph range the cone should help. If you are not there it could slow you down.

dbersuch
12-20-2013, 09:46 AM
It runs low 70's now according to the factory speedo.

steve@scp
12-21-2013, 09:29 AM
prop torque is most likely the cause. what prop are you running?
3 blades do that more than 4 blades.

dbersuch
12-21-2013, 10:09 PM
I have run a 24" trophy 4 blade and a 25" turbo 4 blade. Both give about the same top end according to the factory speedometer.

Motv18
02-19-2014, 08:57 PM
The heavy side falls off whatever lifting feature you have first. I all off to starboard. Check the edges of the ribs chines ect for sharpness. Ever notice a lot of solo driver turn port when coco min down this is why.

bobthebuilder
03-03-2014, 04:11 PM
I had a Skeeter 19ft ZX model that did same issue.. I found by careful measuring hat the engine was sitting off center.. I re-drilled the jack plate and move it almost 1/2 inch to the right... It was definitely 1/2 inch toward the left (port) looking at it form the back of the boat which made it pull to the right so steering corrected it rode high on the starboard side.. After moving the engine to the center it drove just fine! I also now own a GAmbler and it drives great as it is...

dbersuch
03-04-2014, 01:59 PM
I think I figured out what the problem is. I had the boat off of the trailer a couple of weeks ago to do some repair to the bottom. The flat area between the two outside chines has a built in hook at the very back edge and the one on the starboard side is about twice as big as the one on the port, which would push the starboard side higher in the water. Is that something that could be ground off and not weaken the bottom?

Motv18
03-04-2014, 03:29 PM
That's your anti chine wAlk hook. I think some have it helps keep the bow down a bit. Yep, it normally can be removed you will gain a few mph if it was one that's designed in. Ally's have one. Chine walk might increase though.

If it is not one with the hook designed In Might be time to talk to a pro.

dbersuch
03-04-2014, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't have thought they would even be in the water at full throttle. The boat does chine walk a little now, maybe because one hook is bigger than the other?

Motv18
03-08-2014, 06:41 PM
The designed in ones are on the stern side of the pad. A lot like the trailing edge of a prop blade. Anywhere else would be hull damage or sagging or some kind of structurall flaw. Hard to say for sure though without hand on it.

1FASTLASER
03-09-2014, 10:25 AM
I've silently been watching this thread. My thoughts where a imperfection in the running surface. Gamblers have always been a super sexy boat to me. I know in the past they had some small issues but coul not remember what year model they was. Then someone mentioned the motor being mounted slightly off and a light went off in my head. It's been about 4 years ago I helped a friend of mine straighten out an issue on a Blazer VLX 150. It was experiencing very similar issues. Found out after very careful measurements where made that it was the motor being mounted incorrectly. My buddies boat you could actually see it in the prop and boat wash. When slightly off of WOT you could see the spray favoring port side and leaning like yours. Nail it and the boat would level out for the most part but was still visable in the wash. Have u let someone else run ur boat and looked at the wash???

dbersuch
03-09-2014, 12:26 PM
No I haven't done that but will do it next time I can get to the lake, needs to warm up a bit here in Kansas so the lake contents become liquid again! What is the procedure for measuring if motor is centered?

Motv18
03-09-2014, 01:44 PM
A lot like propshaft to pad. Even harder with setbacks and jackplates. A quick one is measure each side along the mount in three spots to some transom feature. Another is sorta visual. Measur from skeg to transom cap joint adjusts stearing so it's even. Look down keel. Found a off square transom this way once it was tin boat though. Back when we had to drill our own. Crooked was standard.

bobthebuilder
03-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Check it out like 1Fastlaser said.... I have found 2 Skeeters now where the motor mount holes were drilled off center. One was almost 1/2 inch to one side! It's called poor quality control at the factory. I fixed the one I had by re drilling the aluminum jack plate. I just went up and inch and over to correct it. Then lower the jack plate an inch and it was great after that..

bobthebuilder
03-09-2014, 03:16 PM
I forgot to mention I filled the wrong holes with JB-weld-Quick! So i would not ever use the wrong holes again.

olboatman
03-09-2014, 05:49 PM
I forgot to mention I filled the wrong holes with JB-weld-Quick! So i would not ever use the wrong holes again.
:thumbsup:Good point! Some things we may have learned by experience!!! LOL Gary:D

bobthebuilder
03-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Well I might not know much because of lack on enough money to do what I always wanted to do... It would have taken millions! LOL But I have been messing with boats for over 40 years.. I found most things out on my own.. there wasn't any S&F or computers or anything like this most of those years.

olboatman
03-10-2014, 05:27 AM
Well I might not know much because of lack on enough money to do what I always wanted to do... It would have taken millions! LOL But I have been messing with boats for over 40 years.. I found most things out on my own.. there wasn't any S&F or computers or anything like this most of those years.
:thumbsup:Experience is by far the best teacher! I guess its just part of growing old. Gary:eek:

Greg G
04-21-2014, 10:21 AM
prop torque is most likely the cause. what prop are you running?
3 blades do that more than 4 blades.

So if you have a very slight lean that requires you to drag a tiny amount of trim tab on one side switching to a 4 blade prop might help level it out?