PDA

View Full Version : Stringer Question

RayH
01-27-2003, 05:49 PM
As I mentioned in another post "Floatation", I'm in the process of replacing my floor in a '73 Sidewinder, I mentioned "no suprises", I might have been alittle premature on that statement...... Closer inpection of my stringer reveal air pockets in the glass towards the end of the stringer. I opened the pocket and found my stringer was rotten and wet at the end (about 4"). So I opened more of the stringer, about 2', still wet. Currently, I have opened other areas of the stringer that had air pockets or hollow rinkles in the glass, and have cut out about 12" of the stringer. I also discovered the stringer is redwood. I'm attempting to dry the stringer out and plan to scarf in about 2' with new redwood. Then glass the repaired section and add glass to the entire stringer. The stringer is a 9' 2x4. Am I taking the right approach? The redwood stringer suprised me, I expected hard wood. Should I cut the entire stringer out and replace due to the wet wood? The glass is about 3/8' thick around the stringer, is the support/strenght coming from the glass or the redwood? Alot of questions, but I appreciate all advice.............

sho305
01-27-2003, 07:55 PM
If I were doing it, I'd rip and tear until all was dry.

Techno
01-27-2003, 08:17 PM
The wood is giving the strength.
The glass around it is also a strengthener.

If scarfing in looks like too much work cut out the whole thing and glass in a new one. The rest of the stringer could also be punky.

If the glass is good just cut the top off and slide the new wood in. Bond it in and glass over. Right now your working from an investigative viewpoint. look the job over as if you needed to replace the stringer and you might come up with an easier method.

RayH
01-27-2003, 08:34 PM
I've drilled holes through the glass to inspect the wood, it appears wet to about half the lenght. If I replace it, should I use redwood or something else?

ImbadBob
01-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Ray, you don't have an e-mail listed. I might have something that would interest you for stringer replacement. It's still in the shake down mode. No long term results yet. Later, Bob

Liqui-Fly
01-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Use marine plywood. It will be much stronger and rot resistant. Hopefully you'll be able to find some and not have to buy a whole sheet.

David

RayH
01-31-2003, 02:00 PM
Bob, I opened my email address, sorry, still new to the in's and out's of this forum. If you have anything, I'm interested!! This weekend I'm cutting the stringer out. I'll be getting my supplies today...... Summer is around the corner no time to waste.

Thanks, Ray

RayH
02-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Well...... I've completed the finishing touches to my completly new stringer. All the glass is complete, the new floor cut to fit and nearly ready for installation and glass. If I say so myself, a much better job then originally built in '73. (should hold me till 2033)

Thanks for all the advise. This was one project I don't care to do again real soon. Now, I can get back to the orginal plan of hull work and paint............

RayH
03-10-2003, 12:54 PM
It's very interesting reviewing my original thread of Jan. 27th. and where I've gone with this project. It's turned into mushroom!!

I've replaced 3 of 5 stringers, added the new floor and floatation and just discovered my transom is totally rotten. I now have the transom torn out and have cut the last two motor mount stringers out. Hopefully I'll have all replaced by this coming weekend. Then I can start on the hull. By the time this project is complete, I'll have a 30-year old NEW boat............. so far I have about $500 in supplies and $10,000 in DIY labor.......

delawarerick
03-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Do you have any pictures I have a 73 sidewinder and its a shell. I dont think there is a floor. Think pad if you have the rounded bottom it will be a chime walking beast. What kind of power are you installing? Rick

RayH
03-11-2003, 12:34 PM
Rick, I have pictures but have never posted one, not sure how. I've had this boat for 18 years. I'm running a mild 455 with a Berkley Jet, A/B Impleller, and Jet-o-vator. I does have a rounded bottom/vee and will run about 60 to 65.......never GPS'ed it. As for chime-walking, never experienced it. It is the best riding jet I've been in, that's why I'm spending the time on it. I've seen other Sidewinders but none like mine. Mine was built in Anderson, Ca. Most Sidewinders I've seen have windshields, where mine doesn't and seems to be wider then most. From inside rail to rail it just over 6'. Plenty of room, however the current seat arrangement was back to back. I'm changing this also to have partual buckets for driver and passenger and side bench seats for back passengers.

If you can post a picture of yours, go for it......I'll try to figure it out and post.

Ray