PDA

View Full Version : Red Fish Tournament guys

steve@scp
08-16-2013, 04:30 PM
who all fishes any red fish tournaments??

seems that sport is really growing.

btw... I love eating those fish.. great when blackened. :)

Ted Stryker
08-16-2013, 08:32 PM
You shoulda fished for them in the 80's-through mid 90's, the best bass style fishing I've ever done... Catch 2-8lbs reds (which pull like stripers) till your gut hurt and your thumbs bled... Thousands, upon thousands, upon 10's of thousands of acres of fertile marshaland with a box full of johnson gold spoons... It wasnt a commercial sport then, and what fisherman dream of... Hit the mouth of the river cuts to the gulf in late october and smoke the bull reds... 15-25 pounders (which will kill bass tackle) left and right... They tap the bait like a crappie then pull like a riding lawnmower, oh man it was good...

Sorry to derail your thread, I just had to reminisce for a minute..

steve@scp
08-17-2013, 07:50 AM
ahh, the good old days. I had a friend of mine recently , sponsored by ranger boats, that went to Valencia, Lousiana for red fish.
they said they caught so many big red fish their arms and backs hurt for weeks.
yeah, a 5 lb red pulls like a 10+ large mouth. awesome fish for sure.

Corona Mike
08-17-2013, 04:51 PM
who all fishes any red fish tournaments??

seems that sport is really growing.

btw... I love eating those fish.. great when blackened. :)

You Are Correct! That's The Hot Lash Rite Now! They Are Paying Very Good From What I Understand You Just Have To Be Willing To Travel. We Have Them Here On The West Coast But, The BIG!!! Ones Are Over On The East Coast Around The Mosquito Lagoon! 20 + LBS Is Pretty Common....Catching One Of Those With A Spinning Rod Is Like Trying To Stop A Kenworth With A Zebco! Can't Keep Them But Damn That Is Some Fun $hit!

1FASTLASER
08-18-2013, 05:33 AM
What I would give to be able to try this one day. I have watched it on the TV many times and being a hardcore bassfisherman that I am the thought of using bass tackle and "bass lures" to take on these bruisers sounds like AWESOME day fer sure.

Ted Stryker
08-18-2013, 09:20 AM
1fastlaser, bass tackle is all we ever used... We'd buy the 5500 ambassadeurs of the late 80's early 90's vintage before we went down to the marsh, and plenty of those reels didn't make it home after the drag system had been ripped with reckless abandon for 3-4 days... The newer expensive reels like the shimanos and such can handle it fine but when ambassaduers cheapened with the ol' $49 ones, a week of reds would seal those reels fate..

From 1987-1988 ish, it became pretty difficult to come back home and be enthused about a tourny limit of 4lbs-5lbs bass when you just got through catching 25 reds that size that pull like 12 lbs bluecat and those are just the smaller ones in the flat marsh...

The other awesomeness is hammering an icechest full of speckled trout, not more than a couple pounds usually speaking but the quality of the fillets give up nothing to slab crappie or a small bass...

steve@scp
08-19-2013, 08:17 AM
the idea of catching a bunch of speckled trout sounds fun too.
how do those taste??

i'd love to go back to the coast and catch some again.

ridgerunner
08-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Went fishin in Cocodrie, LA for reds. My buddy forgot to bring the fishing gear so we Shakespeared-up at the Piggly Wiggly. Those $20 spinning reels with 12lb test landed quite a few 10 to 15 lb reds before breaking down. I think the first thing to go was the handle broke on one.. A lot of pull those reds, and LA is full of them.

captadhos
08-19-2013, 03:10 PM
Huge tournament here is Charleston, SC each year to benefit local and national charities. Check it out if you are in the area.

Glasstream15
09-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Tournaments here in The Great Northeast too. NE Florida that is. lots of Reds in the intracoastal and in the inlets. I've caught a bunch as far down (up) river as Palatka. Fun fishin'.

steve@scp
09-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I can't wait to get time to go back to the coast and catch them lil buggers again.

coosawkane
09-17-2013, 12:13 PM
I fish them a lot. Lots of fun and good payouts at most. It's a lot like bass fishing with the fast boats and big motors.

200fsflatsboat
09-19-2013, 10:16 PM
I do I fish flats masters and ifa ...

toyomirage02
10-23-2013, 12:57 AM
as mike says we have some good ones here but not like the la/tx boys have them from what ive see on tv,but yeah there good eatin i had a few the other night for dinner,were gettin some good snook right now too,there all coming back

sniper3726
02-23-2014, 08:47 PM
293003Here you go Steve , one hour to land it on 12 pound test , Hey and I may have been running a prop I got from you .