PDA

View Full Version : Best hull for first outboard boat?

imq707s
07-23-2001, 07:03 AM
I've been driving/racing inboard/outboard boats for years now, but I'm thinking about getting rid of my current 25ft skiboat w/454 and getting a smaller outboard powered boat. What is a good fast hull for an outboard? Are any of the new bassboat hulls decently fast? I know that Allison makes a great hull, but they're pretty pricy. Any recomendations? What about older Hulls?

Raceman
07-23-2001, 07:25 AM
For outright speed the Allisons and Bullets are hard to beat in a bassboat and of course Allisons are a great choice in V bottoms too as are HydroStreams. A lot of people including me think a modified tunnel like an STV or Mirage are a better choice. There can be an argument made that the tunnels are more of a blowover risk, which may very well be true, but the V's have their danger zones as well. Tunnels are generally easier to drive fast and friendlier in rough water. I switched after years of V bottoms and ain't goin back.

Fl Boy in ILL
07-23-2001, 07:32 PM
IMQ,

Hopefully you live in an area that you could take a ride in several different boats to decide what YOU like, we all have opinions. I had Hydrostreams for a long time and had one come apart, decided I wanted training wheels and bought a Mirage copy, I hated it. I have went back to V Bottom Allisons and i love em. Come to Firewater and try some. good Luck

Rick C

HydroStream6
07-23-2001, 09:40 PM
I drive tunnels and Vs. The tunnels are definitly more "user friendly" so to speak, but you can get into trouble very fast. They give little to no warning before you're screwed. A V hull usually is more forgiving, and gives you more warning time b4 you blow over.

Both hull types can get extremely fast. Tunnels usually have better rough water ride comfort though.

Really you should drive both though, and see what you like. It's really a personal preference.

OLD BOB
07-24-2001, 06:41 AM
I have had fast bass boats for over 20 years and so I have tried a lot of boats. The guys are right about the tunnels being drivable, but I don't think any one is currently building a bass tunnel. Back in the 70s, they were tried, but did not do well in the rough. (2'to 4' waves.)
The Allys are fast, but some fishermen do not like the layout. The Bullets are more fisherman frendly. I drive a Stroker because I could have it built like I wanted it. The quality is excellent and below 80, a grandmother could drive it. It takes a driver above 90 however. The builder says that my boat will run over 100, but I am currently trying to grow larger testicals before checking that out.
Old Bob

Ing
07-24-2001, 05:47 PM
All the previously mentioned boats are great for their intended and limited uses such as protected lakes or rivers but put an Allison or HydroStream in the ocean or large inland lake and you'll be spending more time at the dock than on the water. Go to the Progression website (progressionboats.com) and call Kevin the owner. The Progression 22' is THE best quality 22 foot deep vee made anywhere, period. It has a 24 degree deadrise off the keel pad. The boat is made of the best materials available and vacuem bagged at each stage of layup. A 22' with stock (warrantied) Mercury 250 EFI will run a honest 80 mph in the snarliest of water conditions. All for $45K. You can not go wrong with a well built, outboard powered, true deep vee (don't get suckered into a stepped hull). They are forgiving in handling (easy for the family to drive) and reliable. I don't know how many times you've been stranded on a lake in a single I/O powered boat but I know I'll never waste money on a single I/O setup again. The reliabilty of the O/B is so much better and in the long run worth the extra cost when servicing is needed. I've got extensive offshore experience with both cats and vee's and the type of boat I've outlined is the way to go. The lake I live on gets a 2'weekend chop with occasional 3'wakes. I can't count the number of times I've watched some pickle fork or flat bottom vee drive come putting by looking for sheltered water.

Good Luck

[Edited by Ing on 07-24-2001 at 08:51 PM]

MirageMark
07-24-2001, 10:46 PM
Here's the general break-down, the way I see it.....

If you want the fastest bassboat hands down, but don't plan on fishing much and plan to play mostly,,then you're looking at an Allison XB 2002.(not much fishing room and real fast)

If you want one of the fastest bassboats and want to fish a little more, but still plan on playing alot, then look into an Allison XB 2003. (a little more fishing room , still pretty fast, 100 mph capability)

If you want to fish a bunch and still want to have a fast bassboat to play with sometimes, then look at the Bullets. Lots of fishing room, especially the 21ft boat.

NOW, if you don't care about fishing, and all you want to do is play,,,then you should really consider a Mirage or STV. On the lake or river, it just doensn't get any faster than the two boats mentioned above. They are both easy to drive, setup, and enjoy. Only thing is, other than the Euro STV,,there ain't much room in the boats.

That's my opinion in a nutshell,
Mark

Psyco
07-27-2001, 09:25 PM
Laser Boats of Texas makes a good fast boat for a whole lot less than you Ally's or Bullet's. You can get fishin',sking, or race boats in both V-bottom and Mod V. I have a 16' racer that I get a kick out of driving. It's very forgiving and a real blast to drive when on the pad. I've driven a 19' racer before and REALLY enjoyed it. Be careful when buying a "Bass bote". Most don't have a pad like a performance hull and you'll be disappointed when your'e looking for more speed later. Laser is located in Roanoke, Texas near Fort Worth. Their phone # is 817-430-1271. I checked with them a few months ago and a 19' V-hull was about $6500.00. Tell'em a By-U-Boy sent ya!