PDA

View Full Version : Old Livorsi Fuel Gauge turned into Digital Volt Gauge

Liberator*21
08-10-2013, 06:13 AM
I took an old Livorsi fuel gauge and gutted it using the housing to turn it into a digital voltage gauge for my 2 batteries. Able to tell at a glance condition and charging rates.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_3602_zps1270dc0e.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_3602_zps1270dc0e.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_3593_zps0c0d6777.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_3593_zps0c0d6777.jpg.html)

petehubbell
08-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Very nice work! PH

Dave Strong
08-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Nice work!!

Dave

Liberator*21
08-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks guys, apprecate it.

Euroski
08-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Where did you get the internals at?

Dave Strong
08-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Where did you get the internals at?

Just a shot in the dark but I'm going to say same place he got his EGT's.

Dave

texasvector
08-10-2013, 09:50 PM
those gonna look good with those egts. very cool

Liberator*21
08-11-2013, 04:21 AM
Sorry for the delayed reply, been been real busy. Internals came from "Ebay" where else.....lol.
Both digital units were ordered from Ebay, the bezel mount I made using .125 thick plexiglass and machined in the rectangle holes then painted the bezel white. Not a bad deal considering a total of $16 out of pocket investment. Gauge housing was donated by a fellow member, Emmett Calvert and the plexiglass was laying on the shelf.

Dave, these weren't from the same supplier as my EGT's, but rather shipped directly shipped from China. I hate to send money over there but let's face it, you just can't buy this stuff here in the states for anywhere near what they sell them for. Besides if you could find it here, it'll cost you 5 times as much and still be made overseas, so ya can't win........lol.

tux974
08-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Gary, nice work!! Like thinking out of the box :thumbsup:

Liberator*21
08-11-2013, 05:53 AM
Gary, nice work!! Like thinking out of the box :thumbsup:

Thanks, you know us retired guys have to keep our brains active or they send your a$$ off to a retirement home.........LMAO...;):D

Liberator*21
08-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Update, installed and wired.............works great and looks right at home with everything else !

I didn't give it much thought on how to wire these up so they'd key on and off with the ignition switch at first, it seemed so simple of an idea.......but, I'd like to add that this electrical install was an challenge (at least for me), how to reading 2 batteries on separate circuits and being able to have the displays come on with the ignition key. If your contemplating this mod, wiring sketch is available.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_3610_zps30025c6d.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_3610_zps30025c6d.jpg.html)

tony97gt
10-15-2013, 04:17 AM
Gary, what did you use to cut the slots in the plexiglass? I'm trying to figure out where to get a small piece of plexi and be able to cut the slots as precise as yours so it doesn't look like crap. Just ordered the two LED gauges. Found an old livorsi gauge on eBay for $10, gonna buy that. Just need to figure out the plexi.

Liberator*21
10-15-2013, 04:40 AM
I have lots of small 1/8" plexi panels here so that wasn't a problem, the problem was making it round. Being that it was so small, I couldn't chuck it in my lathe so I jig sawed it on the large side, then ground it down on my disk grinder/sander to the scribed line and dressed it by hand for the final fit. Now comes the interesting part, how to hold it and cut out the 2 rectangles....:rolleyes:.....one could use a coping saw to rough out and a fine file to finish to do it if no other means were available, but I have a vertical mill in my shop with digital readouts and used a 1/8" dia. end mill and lots of coolant to keep the plexi from getting hot. Laid out a drawing on my CAD program on where the slots had to go to make them symmetrical in the plexi and centered as well as fit into the gauge cup, covered the plexi in blue painters tape, 2 layers to keep from scratching it, put in on the mill and went at it. It was allot to go through but the finished gauge stayed true to the dash lay out and blended right in.

I water proofed mine by using a hot melt glue gun all over the exposed back and sides, then the final install was with hot melt glue into the plexi which is painted white "ONLY" on the outward face that way the hot melt glue had a good bite on clean/clear plexi.

Fish
10-15-2013, 05:24 AM
looks great gary.

Liberator*21
10-15-2013, 05:32 AM
Thanks Fish, as always.....all that I do is a true labor of love for my boat.....http://www.bassboatcentral.com/smileys/wink.gif:)

Dave Strong
10-15-2013, 05:40 PM
I have lots of small 1/8" plexi panels here so that wasn't a problem, the problem was making it round. Being that it was so small, I couldn't chuck it in my lathe so I jig sawed it on the large side, then ground it down on my disk grinder/sander to the scribed line and dressed it by hand for the final fit. Now comes the interesting part, how to hold it and cut out the 2 rectangles....:rolleyes:.....one could use a coping saw to rough out and a fine file to finish to do it if no other means were available, but I have a vertical mill in my shop with digital readouts and used a 1/8" dia. end mill and lots of coolant to keep the plexi from getting hot. Laid out a drawing on my CAD program on where the slots had to go to make them symmetrical in the plexi and centered as well as fit into the gauge cup, covered the plexi in blue painters tape, 2 layers to keep from scratching it, put in on the mill and went at it. It was allot to go through but the finished gauge stayed true to the dash lay out and blended right in.

I water proofed mine by using a hot melt glue gun all over the exposed back and sides, then the final install was with hot melt glue into the plexi which is painted white "ONLY" on the outward face that way the hot melt glue had a good bite on clean/clear plexi.

Dam Gary you got way to much time and money, one day I will join your special club. ;):D
Nice job as always.:smiletest:

Dave:cheers:

Liberator*21
10-16-2013, 04:47 AM
Dam Gary you got way to much time and money, one day I will join your special club. ;):D
Nice job as always.:smiletest:

Dave,

Being that I'm now retired, yes your absolutely right about having way to much time, but dead wrong on way to much money.........LMAO !!!!!!!!

Dave Strong
10-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Dave,

Being that I'm now retired, yes your absolutely right about having way to much time, but dead wrong on way to much money.........LMAO !!!!!!!!

As long as your having fun, that's all that really matters. :D;)

Had ice in the test tank at work yesterday AM. Still have 10 or so boats to winterize, people just wont learn. :nonod: Just something not right about wearing long underwear to go work on boats. :eek::rolleyes:

Liberator*21
10-16-2013, 10:20 AM
:nonod: Just something not right about wearing long underwear to go work on boats. :eek::rolleyes:

I just about fell off my chair when I read that........that's seriously funny, but in your case so, so true.....;)

tony97gt
10-29-2013, 12:54 AM
Got my digital meters in the mail today, and I won a livorsi gauge on ebay today too. Going to have to figure out something to make the small panel to go inside the gauge though.

Liberator*21
10-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Got my digital meters in the mail today, and I won a livorsi gauge on ebay today too. Going to have to figure out something to make the small panel to go inside the gauge though.

Great to hear, let's see some pics of your project as you go......:cheers:

Greg G
10-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Dang Gary, very cool work there. Can you figure out a way to make a digital trim gauge for 15" ROS mids? How did that tow mule of yours end up btw?

Liberator*21
10-29-2013, 06:47 AM
Thx. Its still a work in progress......

Dave Strong
01-22-2014, 10:34 PM
WTF Gary looks like you gots a stalker. :eek:;)

Dave :smiletest:

Liberator*21
01-23-2014, 05:14 AM
WTF Gary looks like you gots a stalker. :eek:;)

Dave :smiletest:

Dave, when your as good look'n as me, that's only to be expected..........LMAO !!!!!!!!!:D

On a serious note, I see that there's been a small scale cyber attack with spam on S&F.

Dave Strong
01-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Dave, when your as good look'n as me, that's only to be expected..........LMAO !!!!!!!!!:D

On a serious note, I see that there's been a small scale cyber attack with spam on S&F.

Cold weather is going to your head Gary.lol

Dave

Liberator*21
01-24-2014, 05:03 AM
Cold weather is going to your head Gary.lol

Dave

Thanks Dave, just what I needed more of. Haven't been out of the single digits in over a week now. It's -2 as I type. I think all my 2014 boat gas money is going to be spent on home heating....lol. I realize this stuff is somewhat normal for you guys in Canada, but "WOW" it sure as hell isn't for us. This is the coldest winter I can recall in all my years........burrrrrrrrr...:D.

Dave Strong
01-24-2014, 01:00 PM
It has been way colder than normal here to, I feel your pain. Good thing now the temps are back to normal, hope it stays that way.

Dave

1BadAction
01-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Awesome job, but how did you get the gauge apart? Did you just cut it open or?

Liberator*21
01-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Awesome job, but how did you get the gauge apart? Did you just cut it open or?

Gently pry the back side of the lens cover holding the lens in a little at a time like your working your way around just enough to pop it off, can be reused without issue. The cover is crimped on under a small flange on the gauge housing, you won't need to pry to much area before it comes off. To reinstall, place lens cover back onto the gauge housing, place lens cover onto a towel on a flat surface, then using a piece of wood or plastic bend the cover where it was pry'd up back down to crimp it back under the housing flange. Easy-Pee-zee

1BadAction
01-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Hmmm... Sounds easy enough. Thanks Gary.

Liberator*21
01-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Hmmm... Sounds easy enough. Thanks Gary.

It was allot easier than I thought it was gonna be......:smiletest: