PDA

View Full Version : painting question?

Baldy
01-21-2003, 04:42 PM
Just bought this old cool looken tunnel boat last spring, but I want to change the color, the top is a bronze metle-flake but paint is cracked and dull looking, would like to paint a differant color, my question is can i just sand down the old paint and spray with a sealer, sand again and spray with another color and metle flake .

Techno
01-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Just like a car only simpler. No need for sealer unless there is something that needs to be sealed. I assume you are removing all the old paint. If not then the new paint will only be as good as the old.

Thats the short version. There are many combos you can do with it. Since you want flake you may want to look into the other hard to spray things like pearl and that kind of stuff. hard to spray meaning it needs to be even and not mottled. Light and heavier areas. Not that hard though just harder than a straight solid color. Also you can do some neat stuff with colored flake. makes it look a different color but sparkles too.

dan
02-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Priming and sealing is about adhesion and scratch filling. If you can sand a solid surface with 800 or 1200 you may not have to seal. Sealer fills 400, primer, with 25% reducer, will fill 150 in 2 or 3 coats. Sand primer with 400, seal to fill those scratches, base coat 2 to 3 coats and 2 to 3 coats clear.

Dan