PDA

View Full Version : Tarp treatment (what do you use?)

FCnLa
01-19-2003, 01:14 PM
I had a tarp made for my Starcraft. The material seems to be of good quality. It does not bead water anymore and seems to seep a little water on the inside after a Louisiana deluge. I have asked the tarp shop (will not use them anymore) what to put on it? They say don't use anything and insist you are not suppose to use anything......I am thinking, "Bullshyt!"

There's gotta be something. What do you use?

Thanks, Paul:cool:

B.Leonard
01-19-2003, 04:16 PM
If you don't have a steel shelter, it's a never ending battle.

I would just spray it with canvas water proofing treatment. Any boat store should have it but it's fairly expensive ($20/gal) and eventually washes off.

I buy a good cover like you did then put a 15X20 grey tarp over it ($15) and anchor it just on the corners w/ bungee cords. The tarp breaks the sun and most water from a heavy rain, the cover underneath does the rest.

The grey tarps only last about 5-6months for waterproof ability, after 9 they either tear or you can see through them. So replacement is frequent.

For my Sea Ray (30' loa), I stretch close-line doubled up between to uprights fastened to the boat and drape a 30 X 20 over the close line. It works really good and completely water tight but good for only 5-6 months and those tarps are $100 each.

My next place will have an enclosed aluminum barn :D

-BL

FCnLa
01-19-2003, 05:31 PM
I have one of those on my picklefork. Cloths line would work good on big stuff. I made a frame out of pvc pipe for my pickle.

I keep this boat out in front so it cannot look like a band of gypsies moved in. LOL:cool:

I'll have to look in to that tarp stuff, I guess. I need a roof too......Thinking of one of those prefab type deals, but I'll probably fab it up myself.

:cool:

B.Leonard
01-19-2003, 05:53 PM
I had plans to build a gable-roof style structure over my boats in that picture. Had the plans all drawn up even had half the posts already in concrete. Then I decided not to build. The steel structures were cheaper and stronger. Decided not to setup a steel one here because it wouldn't help the property value, so I chain-sawed the posts down and decided to "tarp-it" for the next 5 yrs.

We'll be movin soon to a place with more space (outside) and I'll set one up there. Something steel and big enough to hold the Sea Ray.... and maybe a couple others :D

-BL

typhoon
01-20-2003, 03:38 AM
The canvas treatments only last six months at the best. I know because I have been putting them on people's covers(and trying to talk them out of doing it) for years. If you have canvas tarps, store your boat inclined. Just raise the hitch end of the trailer till the back hits the ground, or at least a few feet.
All you want to achieve is a bit of runoff. Canvas will never be truly waterproof, but if you provide a downhill slope for teh water to wick down, you'll never have any problems.
NExt time you get a cover made, specify Sunbrella Plus. It is an acrylic canvas, with a thin urethane coating applied to the back of it. Costs more, maybe a couple of dollars a metre but lasts longer and is waterproof.

Regards, Andrew.

H2Onut
01-20-2003, 08:21 AM
it is called Camp-Dri

Sold at sport stores

76baja18ft
01-20-2003, 08:51 AM
hey paul.. how about spraying it with scotchgaurd? like u put on fabric seats and such?