PDA

View Full Version : What about the old ski tunnels w/ center pod?

LakeRacer99
01-16-2003, 04:08 PM
I have collected photos of different brand tunnels from the late 60s-70s tunnels. I am curious as to which ones could run good numbers and which ones were tanks. Before anybody says, I know, too much trim or power and your swimmin.
I have been interested in these, but they were what was hot when I was born so, lets here about them.

I'll ask about:
Magnum Missle, Raco Hustler (MM clone), Speedliner, Carlsons, Ebko Stinger, Mikken?, Tunnelflite, GW Invader...

I'll limit this to pleasure tunnels.

Mark75H
01-16-2003, 04:39 PM
The Carlsons were known for fast straight line speeds. If you look at one in person you can see what's up with them. The tunnel is too narrow and they are just a flat bottom at the back.....nothing to steer with. I think Art Carlson was the first to break 75 mph in the ¼ mile with a 100 hp gearshift motor.

Let's throw in the Switzer Shooting Star with these too, since they are all close kin.

Ray Neudecker
01-16-2003, 05:43 PM
The Magnum Missels, Switzer Shooting star and clones were either dogs or if real light very easy to blow over. The Carlsens were quick and fast, not much in rough water. Speedliner ski boat tunnels were the best of the pleasure tunnels for all around use.

Mark75H
01-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Switzer Shooting star and clones were either dogs or if real light very easy to blow over

Ray, could you clear something up for us?

I don't recall hearing anyone ever mention a Shooting Star going over and they were definitly not dogs.

Switzer Star record (http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&photoId=nIACwcO8Is25HDeNvJH2kmKRzeX3kXY!iUFbvQ3uZIgNX*Cz26HIjlHXNREvNaZudNGQ!BSAn0gQ)

Without looking it up I think someone else later upped this record to a little over 92 with another Shooting Star

Ron Hill
01-16-2003, 07:35 PM
HEY! Was the question w/center pods? W means with. Carlson's and Shooting Stars were flat at the back.

First center pods I ever saw, and I think I "Coined" the word were on Sleek Crafts, Eliminators, Horizons and the that Phil Percival designed...Oh, Southwind.

Where I became Region 12 Chair for APBA, I met with the Parker Enduro People and purposed Five Divisions. (The race was dead because the last race had few inboards and on four factory boats...).

Division IV was APBA VP (V Pleasaure and any Modified V hulls, Outboard powered and Any Inboard Flat Bottom. There were guys like Steve Buckalew and Dick Knight that had Southwinds that were not true V hull with 1500 XS and I thought we'd get these guys to come race... Dick Knight did come and he and Tim Soares were the winner that year...

I lated defined the Cent "POD" to be anything equal to of below the outside runners. LAter, we added it had to be like 8" wide and was to be measured at the transom.

The center pod was designed for Jet Drives to get more water to the jet. Ron Edhie, built the 19' and 21' Daytonas for Bob Leach at eliminator. Phil Percival was doing about the same at Sleek after Southwind went out.

Carlson never built a POD boat until the Star Craft thing.

Mark75H
01-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Look at the header inside the thread: What about the old ski tunnels w/out center pod?

LakeRacer99 went back and added "out" inside the thread even though the outside one still says "w/"

Ron Hill
01-16-2003, 09:22 PM
Well, I used to teach reading....Now, I don't teach much!!!! Want me to e
dlete my post??

Mark75H
01-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Nah, it confused me too. I just read it over and over until I understood it.

LakeRacer99
01-17-2003, 12:06 AM
sorry guys, I edited it later and I guess it doesn't change the title.
Thanks for the information so far.
I have seen some nice Carlsons, they are really popular in the south, might be the drag racing thing.
Lets here about some more, what about Duo or the Starcraft.

PowerCat14
01-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Hey Ron the Tim Soares you talked about is he from san bernardino .I raced stock cars with the soares clan

Ron Hill
01-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Yea.. Larry is the OLD MAN... about my age...Tim teamed with me in the 1978 and 1979 Havasu Classics... John is the car racer...Joyce, Larry's wife always work at the races scoring...NICE FAMILY!!!

Laker
01-24-2003, 01:51 AM
Dont forget John Janaky Of DAH ProPellers fame running a Switzer Shooting star alittle over 100 MPH with a Stock 1976 Evinrude 200hp powerhead! For his title in the Evinrude 100MPH club! He even had carpeting in his "Family boat" :D :D ;) :p

Hooty
02-01-2003, 08:51 PM
I've got a '79 17' Speedliner with a '76 200hp. 'rude and it's more fun than pants pockets with no bottoms.

c/6

Hooty