PDA

View Full Version : Carlson tunnels

LakeRacer99
01-16-2003, 04:00 PM
OK, I have seen quite a few Carlson 16ft Challengers and 14ft Contenders. I have seen 2 16ft Ebko Stinger tunnels and have a picture of an Ebko skibee. My question is this...

Are they related? I understand both the Carlsons turn to a flat bottom towards the transom. The Ebko stingers I have seen are full tunnel all the way back. A local fellow has what he is calling a SkiBee and I would guess It would fit right in the 14' Contender mold. He claims his brother is the original owner and all the paperwork says SkiBee. The decks are identical on the Carlsons and this guys SkiBee. The deck on the Stinger is higher in the rear and incorporates a wraparound windshield like a Hydrostream or Glastron GT-150.

What do you guys think? Anybody have a clue what I a babbling about? I am looking for literature on the Ebkos, I know the classicglastron site has good Carlson stuff.

Thanks for the help.

QUICKSILVER
01-16-2003, 09:32 PM
How do you find the classic Glastron site? I would like to see some of the older models. I think I know where an old Glastron tunnel is. If anyone is interested I will check on it.

Mark75H
01-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Yeah, check it out and let me know, I might be interested, esp if its a Glastron 2+2 or a Carlson CT-15

Glastron Carlson (http://www.classicglastron.com/gl-carlson-index-web.html)

preGlastron (http://www.classicglastron.com/gl-preglastron-carlson-index.html)

http://www.classicglastron.com/71maybea2plus2-lowerres.JPG

Raceman
01-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Not all of the old Carlsons go completely flat at the back. There's one at the lake with an old Twister on it that has the tunnel all the way to the rear. It resembles the boat that Sam's posted pics of before from the catalogue sheet, with the stacker on it. The transom is VERY short on this boat and required a lot of build up to mount the 15" Twister.

The Shooting Star I had went to dead flat bottom at the rear.

LakeRacer99
01-17-2003, 09:07 AM
Qkslvr...yeah keep us informed, I would be interested expecially if it were a CT15 or 2+2. Sam, how many 2+2 do you think were made, do you think there are some in Italy?
RM, I think the 2+2 and CT-15 are fulltunnels out the back.

Mark75H
01-17-2003, 09:18 AM
No, I don't think there are any 2+2's in Italy. I think the reference to Italy is just the fact that the 2+2 hull is a direct copy of something Molinari made, maybe even a raceboat.

I have no idea how many 2+2's were made.....Danny might know who to ask.

Jeff Ettinger
01-17-2003, 11:54 AM
I would be VERY interested in the Glastron Tunnel mentioned if it's for sale. The best I can come up with is that Glastron never made any production 2+2's. The prototype had a full tunnel and not enough pad width to make a good "production boat" & Glastron management lost interest. Might want to contact Art Carlson for conformation. Please let me know about the Molinari mentioned. Looking for a 21ft twin even if it's been damaged or converted to an I/O.
Thanks

Jeff Ettinger
01-17-2003, 12:00 PM
The Ebko was a copy of the Carlson ,with a full ( small width )tunnel, but about as heavy as it could possibly get. I don't think that Art C. was happy about his boat being copied. The only consolation he got was the ebko was a dog and didn't sell very well.

LakeRacer99
01-17-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the info Jeff. That is what I was suspecting. I wonder where the full tunnel ebko came from? Without the windscreen, the deck looks same as Carlson. I found this in an old magazine.

baddjonny
01-17-2003, 02:52 PM
bottom side trim flat ,no lifting strakes the only other little thing that the contenders had in the back if I remember rite was two tiny wedges at the transom and that stupid ski fin everyone I knew that had one would take off the main thing that always thru me was why the 16 was faster than the 14. this is in 1965-69.

two cents rode in a bunch of them when they were new. one of the best lookin hot boats ever made for the public. but now I'm 53 and should have worn a kidney belt back then. a friend with a 16 with x115 on it used to just walk away from my GW Invader 15' tunnel with a 90 merc.

jon b

25XS
01-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Here are pictures of a tired old Stinger near my home. It was for sale, but has since disappeared. At least I got some pictures!?

LakeRacer99
01-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Johnny, I am assuming the ad that I posted was of the Stinger hull which I said was a full tunnel back. The front part of the deck are the same back to the back of the windshield. The Ski Bee, I don't have a picture of, is identical to the 14ft Carlson contender.

QUICKSILVER
01-17-2003, 04:37 PM
I was tracking down the Carlson that I knew about. It must be a Contender or a Challenger. I know that it has the flat bottom at the transom and the two little wedges on the bottom. Should I look any further or is this not what anyone would be looking for. I talked to the last person that I knew owned it. He said he thinks the person he let have it still has it. I know that it has no paper work.

Dave S
01-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Was that Bobby Shaffer in the carlson?

baddjonny
01-17-2003, 10:29 PM
I used to hang out a skippy pezolds place alot and raced a 13 ' powercat tri hull in merrick in 67 came in thid u class still can't find any photos of the race. I remember my mom had to sign a release to let me race as I was 16 or 17. That boat was so thin it used to make a druming sound as it flew and flexed unblevible but never cracked the only wood in the bottom was on the flats of each sponson it depended on the shape of the bottom for strentgh . the seat was too far foward so I used to neal behind the seat with a cushon leaning over the seat to get it to really fly that was before power trim or it just came out .around 67 or 69 can't remember.
jon b

Dave S
01-18-2003, 09:13 PM
When I was young, my buddies hung out by Skip's place. Bobby's was next store. His X115 cranked, he later put it on a Charlie Craft that my friend later had a 150 Merc on. I had a 14 foot De Silva that used to be in Skip's showroom. I used a Mark 75H on it. Being young and impressionable, seeing Skip's great racing stuff, got me into better boats. Do you ever see Bobby these days? I haven't seen him lately. The last time was maybe 10 years ago. What's your last name?

Ron Hill
01-22-2003, 12:09 AM
FYI From July 1968 Powerboat magazine AD..

Ron Hill
01-22-2003, 12:10 AM
same ad..

Jason Huber
01-22-2003, 08:21 AM
Your blue boat is a beauty!! Nice hotrod!!...:cool:

Jason Huber
01-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Sorta' like Carlson's version of a B-5 blue Cuda' w/a 440 SixPac! :D :cool:

us1
01-28-2003, 10:38 AM
Here is mine. Why are they all the same color?:D

Jason Huber
01-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Diggin' that OE/period correct - hotrod steering wheel too!! :cool: but didnt' those all have L/H steer though?

us1
01-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Yes they did. I moved it to the right because when you turn a Carlson tunnel it leans heavily into the turn. They do not turn flat like a modern day tunnel boat. When I sit on the right I was ballast to keep the boat flatter in the turns. All the turns are left anyway.

Jason Huber
01-28-2003, 11:36 AM
AHHHAAA!!:cool: Got' to ride in a Challenger-like (no-pad) splash called a Sonic that my buddy's dad had. 125 Merc power, skiddish as all-hell/ lots of chine anything over 60... :eek: Scary-fun! :D Nice boat John! :)

us1
01-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Here are a couple more.

us1
01-28-2003, 11:53 AM
Try to ignore the trailer.

GLAGUNA
08-07-2007, 01:55 PM
does any body have any more pictures of ebkos or old ebko brochures?

LakeRacer99
08-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Welcome to the site and this old thread. Use the search button here for Ebko tunnels, I have posted in many threads on the subject. Since you are in Hastings, there should be a few up there, do you have one? We like pictures here.

Spreadeagle
08-08-2007, 07:46 AM
here's a pic of mine in action

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90201&page=2&highlight=spreadeagle

GLAGUNA
08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Hello everryone, I have been looking for more ebkos in the hastings area but no body seems to have ebkos here, I can post pics of my ebko seville that I am fixing up, I also have pictures of alot of the molds that are sitting outside were the just to make them or I can probably call MR. Bill Phillips and ask him if he still have the mold for the tunnel boats he made, I work in a fiberglass company I can probably make a coupple.

GLAGUNA
09-20-2007, 03:35 PM
I Found One And Bought It As Soon I Find Out How To Post Pictures Of It I Will Do It I Dont Have Pics Of How It Was Wen I Bought It Because I Broke My Camera And I Had To Choose Buying The Boat Or A New Camera The Boat Looks Very Nice Now It Is A 1969 Ebko Skivee Red Metal Flake With Partial Tunnel And A Merc 85 Hp.

LakeRacer99
09-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Sounds cool GlaGuna. If you get some pics, put them up here. We all love pics. I would like to see some of the molds.
If they have been outside, I doubt they would be any good to pull a part from though.

Raceman
09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
I've got an old Carlson tunnel that I REALLY want to give to somebody who'll do it. It's REALLY rough, and I've got more projects than I'll ever finish, but somebody who's got time and patience could make it happen.

Too many old glass boats get scrapped from lack of effort now, and I hate to make another one.

Dave S
09-20-2007, 06:50 PM
R Man just put a SM lower unit on with a Parker Ex housing and a T2x power head and list it on e Bay with no resever......:D But buyer must take BOAT.:eek: Or build a nudda building for storage.;)

Zonkercraft
09-21-2007, 05:05 AM
Now Dave.....,
You KNOW that the T2X powerhead will not bolt to the Parker mis-section, without extensive modification to the mid, & the powerhead. And Lord knows, we don't need another cobbled up motor on Ebay.:D
RM, how about a weekend free-for-all weekend. Get a large field, everybody that has a boat that needs a new home ( for free, or less than say....$500 total ) brings them, people show up, gets a look, and ...maybe a new project to work on, over the winter. Everybody is a winner!
Whatta ya think?????
Just my thoughts
Zonkercraft

LakeRacer99
09-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Now Dave.....,
You KNOW that the T2X powerhead will not bolt to the Parker mis-section, without extensive modification to the mid, & the powerhead. And Lord knows, we don't need another cobbled up motor on Ebay.:D
RM, how about a weekend free-for-all weekend. Get a large field, everybody that has a boat that needs a new home ( for free, or less than say....$500 total ) brings them, people show up, gets a look, and ...maybe a new project to work on, over the winter. Everybody is a winner!
Whatta ya think?????
Just my thoughts
Zonkercraft

I second what Jeff said...let me know the date, i'll be there.
I can alway come up with project boats, needing power.

Zonkercraft
09-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Thank you!
You know, this just may be a GREAT thing to do! If so, I need to find a big TRAILER! Got some things that REALLY need to find a new home.
Anybody got a big field/parking lot/football field ( just kidding! time of year ) warehouse/covered dome stadium, they would let is use????
Let's hear some more ideas!
Zonkercraft

Mark75H
09-21-2007, 07:17 PM
There has been a get together of racers and collectors somewhere in Ohio early every spring the past few years ... big warehouse, big swap meet.

It was started by some racers on hydroracer.net ... I'll see if I can find the name of the guy who set it up

Zonkercraft
09-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks Sam!
Sounds like it might work out well. I think it just may end up helping everyone.
Zonkercraft

Mark75H
09-21-2007, 08:16 PM
It was at Hangar #5 at the Zanesville Airport, the guy's name is Mike Marshall. Over on hydroracer he is: Raceboat61-S

cell#740-319-5040 home#740-754-2097

GLAGUNA
09-23-2007, 09:31 PM
I will post some tomorrow pics of it tomorrow.

brichter
09-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Now Dave.....,
Whatta ya think?????
Just my thoughts
Zonkercraft
I like the idea.......I think the Constantine super meet site (on a different weekend) would be a good location.......

GLAGUNA
09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
:) Here Are The Pics Of My Newly Rebuilt Ebko Skebee Tunnel Boat I Am Doing The Upholstery Next Week Sorry No Pics Of The Condition It Was In Before The Restoration.136028

GLAGUNA
09-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Here Are More Pics 136031

Mark75H
09-25-2007, 10:15 PM
How about a pic from the back showing the bottom? ... I've never seen a splash of a Carlson before, even the deck features were copied, that was bold! I was expecting something more like a Magnum/Rabco etc

GLAGUNA
09-25-2007, 10:17 PM
More 136035

GLAGUNA
09-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I Am Making The Radar Arch You See On Top Tellme What You All Think

Mark75H
09-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the additional pics. I've never seen that close a copy before.

GLAGUNA
09-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Let Me Tell You What I Know About Ebko
A Guy That Worked For Them Told Me The Story I Am About To Tell You.
There Was Tree Guys That Started Making Fiberglass Boats In A Garage On The Weekends In Juniata Nebraska The Guys Were In There Sextheens Or Seventheens Seems Like They Made Some Boats But No Money Of Off Them Then They Made The Ebko Skebee Wich Is What I Have Then From There They Redesigned The Boat And Made The Full Tunnel Ebko Stinger Then They Started Selling Some More Then They Rented A Bigger Bldg And Started Making Bigger Boats In The 80s They Were Making Some Very Nyce Boats With Good Quality I Know The Guy Who Sold Resin To Them And He Knows Boats He Told Me Ebko Was At The Time One Of The Best Boats Being Made And I Can See In My Seville The Quality Of Work They Did, My Seville Is In Good Condition Never Being Restored Or Anything And Let Me Tell You It Rides Nice It Feels Like A Cadillac.

LakeRacer99
09-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the additional pics. I've never seen that close a copy before.

now do you beleive what I was telling you about the Ebko's. I think it was on the AOMCI board that we were discussing that.

Chinewalker
09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Thought I would add this to the thread...

Mark75H
09-26-2007, 02:20 PM
now do you beleive what I was telling you about the Ebko's. I think it was on the AOMCI board that we were discussing that.

I certainly do.

GLAGUNA
09-27-2007, 07:22 AM
What Is That You Said About Ebkos Lkrcr99?

Mark75H
09-27-2007, 07:59 AM
He said there was an Ebco copy of the Carlson semi tunnel that tapered to flat at the back. I was only aware of the full tunnel Ebcos

LakeRacer99
09-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Ther was a guy on the antique outboard website who found what looked like a Carlson contender tunnel. Everyone was telling him it was a Carlson Contender and I offered the suggestion that it could also be an Ebko SkiBee. Sam had not heard about the Ebko tunnels, probably since he is coastal and we are midwest, like Ebko.

I may have already posted it in this thread, I didn't go back and reread the thread yet. but I had 2 Ebko stinger projects that I sold before getting started on them and a local guy here had an Ebko SkiBee for sale a couple years ago. During my research on the Ebko tunels, I met quite a few owners of the Stinger tunnels also.

GLAGUNA
09-28-2007, 07:45 AM
It Is Sorpricing To Hear That Some Of You All Say It Is Bold! That The skibee Is A Splash Of The Carlson If You All Of Know There Are Only Few Hull Desingns And So Many Companies Use Them, Obiously They All Coppy Each Other And If You Have Red About Bob Hammond He Was Selling His Designs All Over The Place Like He Sold His Designs To Rinker He Even Sold Glastron After All.
By The Way Does Any Body Have The Ski Fin That Came With The Contender? I Am Interested In Buying One For My Ebko Skibee.

GLAGUNA
09-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Do You Still Have The Ebko Broashure? Are You Looking To Get Rid Of It?LAKERACER99

GLAGUNA
10-04-2007, 12:57 PM
does any body know if there was any ebkos in racing?

LakeRacer99
10-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey GLA, sorry I missed your last few replies.

I wish to keep my brochure, but If I get my scanner hooked up again, I will make you a digital copy. Don't get too excited though, there is no skibee in the 1975 brochure and I have posted the only page with a tunnel in it.

I am sure you can get the fin from Rex or Glenwood marine. It would be the same as what is used on most flatbottom boats.

GLAGUNA
10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
thanks LKRSR99

GLAGUNA
10-10-2007, 05:59 AM
check this website out it is vintageraceboatshop.com and also check vintagehydroplanes.com

GLAGUNA
12-26-2007, 09:30 AM
IS ANYONE A LIVE THERE?:confused:

stokernick
12-26-2007, 09:39 AM
barely,just not looking at vintagehydroplanes,but very interesting!!

GLAGUNA
12-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Just Checking No Body Has Posted Any More Treads About Tunnels In A Long Time Does Anybody Know Were I Can Find One Of The Carlson 18ft. Tunnel With The V8 Engine In It? Or At Least Pictures