PDA

View Full Version : gelcoat

cvp240
01-15-2003, 10:41 PM
hey , guys does many one what kind of gun i need to spray gelcoat ,want to do my boat .soon tannkkss:confused:

Backfire
01-15-2003, 11:59 PM
You could use a Binks 7, Harbor freight LPHV, 2 quart pressure pot, etc......single color?, flake?, multi colors?, clear coat?,painting the deck?, hull?, both?. Have you painted anything before? Ever used gelcoat? Do you think you will have to sand it after you spray it on? Are you ready to throw away the paint gun if you goof?
Backfire ;)

cvp240
01-16-2003, 07:56 PM
will be doing thr botton of the boat , yes i, done all kinds of painting hope i will not have to sand after .will paint it white

CrayzKirk
01-17-2003, 12:03 AM
Hi,

Everything I've read indicates it isn't for the amateur. Gelcoat is nice and smooth because it is sprayed on a nice and smooth mold before the mat, cloth, roving, knytex, etc. is put on top of it. You will have to sand, sand and sand some more to get it smooth. Then you can polish it. There are some very good marine paints that you may want to look into as an alternative.

Just my $0.02 worth and I've been wrong before...

Kirk

Backfire
01-17-2003, 01:01 AM
1) Don't use any bondo for patch work/prep. Marine Tex or glass puddy, resin with mill fibers or cab-o-sil, ect. Don't know what it is you are painting-what shape it is in, but what it looks like before you start, is pretty much what it will look like after you finish except for the color. If you want it slick, get it slick before you shoot it. Just some basics, I wouldn't paint unless it is 70 deg or better before you start and for 24 hours after. If you use a suction gun, the paint may have to be thined (styrene) to go through the gun. I would use a 35 tip, this stuff is thick.I would use Patch Aid or similar promoter with wax for the final or only shot. A two quart pressure pot with a 60, 65 tip will put it on right now, probably 2 pots, what size is this? With a pot regulator, fan adjustment, you can do a pretty fair job of laying it down fairly smooth but this ain't Krylon and you will have to sand it you want it smooth. You can sand it with 320, 240, 180--80 grit if you want, cause you are going to fill up the scratches and you don't want a half ass prep job that peels. Finish sand-wet sand with 600, unless it's real rough 400, 600, 800, 1200, compound with a real buffer with red compound then a finish compound. Catalyst at 2% well mixed as in air drill mixer- no sparks. You will use a gallon of acetone for clean up or more. Suction gun may be slow so you have to clean the gun every 2nd, or 3rd pot. Gel time probably 20-30 minutes, supplier should tell you. Visit a boat company if you can and see it done, from painting the molds to patch/touchup. Good Luck!
Backfire ;)

B.Mac
01-17-2003, 07:35 AM
My supplier has this reducer/ leveler mix that is suppose to give gelcoat a paint consistancy. I'm going to use a throw away paint gun. I'm going to practice the whole process on a piece of cardboard or something first.
Black gelcoat first.....
Then clear gelcoat with very sparse silver flake.......
Then all clear with Sand-aid (hardner)

cvp240
01-17-2003, 09:36 PM
i my going to do my liberator, the bottom is in need of some help for the sand on the river banks and hit something , didnt want to use paint on botton,

Racemore
01-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Prep with 80-120gt paper,Wipe clean with acetone,mix in cheap spraygun(once experienced with the speed it kicks you can use whatever gun you want),use gelcoat without wax/add mek,spray at 90lbs with alot of volume and fairly narrow pattern maybe 10 to 12"s,Spray 1st coat and let kick,then second coat(no wax) then 3rd coat with wax or duratec.To acetone as thinner fro the 1st 2 coats and last unless you go with Duratec which requires Slow Laquer thinner.Spraying gel will orangepeel and will require sanding and buffing to look right so it should be thick enough to sand and still have 20mils after finish for future buffing and wear.
Duratec is a additve that is clear and will make the gel flow much flater and won't gum up sandpaper like wax.It is also harder and makes the finish have greater depth,good **** man.
I'm going to post some resto and rebuild projects soon.They will give ideas on metalflake boats gone bad and major bottom repairs along with modifications like cut to full transoms for OB bracket application.Can't get my scanner to work so I'll have to get some one to scan and send them to me,coming soon.
If you need any info to help understand feel free to call.

Good Luck,Lonnie 904-813-8201 cell anytime,got free incoming :D :cool:

Steven
01-18-2003, 02:08 PM
i like the color on that 19. is that a bench seat i see in the front? just curious.

cvp240
01-23-2003, 01:54 PM
hey ,yes on the seat, was tryyingg to ,get going this week but to cold !!!! get guin on the way sanp on tool man did his last summer and is going to let me use it , tannkkkkssssfor the tippss