PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Panel

Bruster
01-12-2003, 08:34 PM
The Dash on my Taylor looks like Swiss Cheese. 2 speedos????
I don't want to repair and paint or gel the extra holes. I was thinking a carbon fiber paner about 6" wide and 5 ' long and about .060 thick would be the ticket. Throw in some new Gaffrig Carbon Fiber faced gages to finish the job. Where can I buy the Carbon fiber panel?

patchesII
01-13-2003, 12:19 AM
i think ro down in the houston area does carbon fiber work. may fish around a bit and find out more info

airide18
01-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Look under the post in the general disscusion forum,theres a guy that is lookin for the same thing and someone told hime where to get carbon fiber.

BarryStrawn
01-13-2003, 10:55 AM
Original thread is at http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26123

The sheets from Tap are only 48" so you will need to layup yourself. Probably better that way so you can make it as strong as you need it. The prefab panels are very thin and would need some kind of backing.

airide18
01-13-2003, 04:03 PM
How much do they cost?

Techno
01-13-2003, 06:10 PM
I'm not a big fan of something that doesn't stand on it's own merit. If you have to tell someone it's billet then whats the point? If you have to tell them it's carbon, same thing.
You can duplicate it with twill? weave glass and black. Or at the very least the weave you want in glass and 1 layer of unidirectional carbon for the color.
If you have to tell someone it's graphite why not cheat?
Something I find rather humerous is if it's glass everything possible is done to hide the weave, make it smooth. Graphite is left in the "rough".
BTW graphite is very very very expensive. For $3 worth of glass you spend around $70~? for graphite. The thickness for a dash doesn't matter, go with the thinnest or lightest weight cloth you can find. It's only cosmetic.

If this piece were in your hand it would look like regular woven carbon. There is roving, cloth and graphite in it.

Bruster
01-13-2003, 09:58 PM
all the unused holes first. I figured on plywood plugs and West System Epoxy with filler. I'll finish to the point of being paint ready so a .015" thick panel is OK. Problem with the material from Tap is that it is only 4' long, I think I will need a little more length, I measure it tomorrow night.
It should be pretty easy to fit the panel and epoxy in place. $80 + a few nights of work could be a deal!

BarryStrawn
01-13-2003, 10:17 PM
Techno - Did you have a question in there you wanted answered or was that a lecture? If your glass/graphite cost ratio is 3:70 I hope you get some K-Y with the graphite

airide18
01-14-2003, 07:37 AM
Man carbon is cheaper than i thought it would be!!!!

Techno
01-15-2003, 08:38 PM
BarryStrawn
It was a bug up my ass.
(Why do people have to say it's "billet" or "carbon"?)

I did check the link- link and am impressed with the price.- 50" wide!
If it can be found a graphite tape in the proper weave design would be the best course- price wise. You would get about the right size without waste, and at the cheapest cost.
something like this.
FG-CF5706 6" x 5.7oz 9.00/running yard
!http://www.shopmaninc.com/carbonpage.html But 6" is probably too skinny.
Just a thought, the edges might be lammed over something like wood trim. Something that produces an edge finish-shape.
Slight poddling bulges where the gauges are. If your laminating it raw, explore design elements other than a flat sheet, might be a twist in this line of thought.

While pulling the bug out I put my foot in. Just remembered I left the glass weave on my seat backs
Oh no!

BarryStrawn
01-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Techno - You need to just get over the carbon vs graphite terminology thing - it really doesn't matter and you will live longer:D And billet means nothing anymore. The Brits have a better phrase, "machined from solid".

I personally like the visible weave in a structural carbon layup for the same reasons I like a fine piece of wood that isn't painted. It just looks right. But when used for purely cosmetic reasons it does sort of bother me. Just a matter of personal taste.

I have never seen carbon tape for sale in the twill weave, just plain and unidirectional.

airide18
01-16-2003, 08:05 AM
How are you going to fasten it to the dash?Rivets,bolt,glue?

stvhelm
01-16-2003, 09:19 AM
hey, check out the vinyl too. the make vinyl decal to look like carbon fiber. Iv seen black and white. I think I heard other colors are available. check out my dash, it a decal with a thin black pinstripe around the edge to dress it up. fools alot of people;)

stvhelm
01-16-2003, 09:23 AM
close up shot

Bruster
01-16-2003, 11:09 AM
If we had a "Best Dash Board" contest you would be a winner!! That is too cool, great job, I'm impressed, I like it, well.... NICE JOB!

sho305
01-16-2003, 01:46 PM
No doubt about that! Helmut has it going there.

I thought I read about some black glass cloth? Maybe you could just dye a piece? No?:confused:

Bruster
01-16-2003, 02:31 PM
on the GPS! I like it!

stvhelm
01-16-2003, 02:45 PM
:D thanks. You should see the gps when Im alone and the tanks low on fuel. :D When I ran that speed I had a full 28 gallon tank plus a 6 gallon can, 3 people on board, chairs, cooler. I think maybe I burned 3-4 gallons. safe to say 30gal of fuel. Jimmy D w/Hst can verify that:D I was testing him;) I dont normally do things like that

sho305
01-16-2003, 03:48 PM
I can't find it. I found something about making it fake and tinting the resin or cloth. Did find some more prices here though: http://www.fibreglast.com on the cloth page.

Techno
01-16-2003, 05:25 PM
I use carbon and graphite interchangably not specificly.
Used to say carbon graphite until some one couldn't take it anymore and questioned that. I guess it's like saying aramid kevlar.

Any way. The vinyl idea gave me an idea. I think photos can be reproduced, seems this is how the carbon look was done. What about a picture of anything. Skies the limit. I did find a possible site so now I've got to rethink my "STV" stickers.

They also showed sample of regular graphics but didn't mention a price. If you wanted a flame job or whatever.http://www.huntgraphic.com/images/TRIBAL.jpg
http://www.huntgraphic.com/ It seems to say pictures and on whatever material and permanant. Near the picture of the printer.

PhastBoat
01-28-2003, 08:51 AM
I got a roll from these guys to cover up some screw hole on my bow where there was teak strips.
http://www.beacongraphics.com/carbonfiber.html