PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Boat Show

MagicFloat
01-10-2003, 10:38 PM
Pardon my ignorance if I should know anyway but whose 75H and other neat Mercs were on display at the entrance

Raceman
01-10-2003, 11:26 PM
I haven't been there yet, but usually the AOMCI has a display in conjuction with a wooden boat club. There are several possibilities if there's a 75H, but I doubt that it's a complete motor, more likely a correct mid & lower with a 75 powerhead. Bill Fennesy has such a 75H and he usually displays with those guys, but last time I saw his it was in boxes. In any case, I doubt that the engine belongs to a racer, but more likely one of two or 3 collectors around here that have bought some components.

Mark75H
01-11-2003, 01:19 AM
Probably Gary McNorius' stuff. Gary has posted pictures of his stuff here for us from time to time.

25XS
01-13-2003, 11:10 AM
At the Atlanta Boat show, the Atlanta Wood Boat Club and the Southeastern Outboarders Chapter of the Antique Outboard Motor Club, Int'l join together each year to provide a rather large display of antiques. It is always set up in the "free" area prior to having to pay for entry in the show and if you parked in the new parking ramp this year, Bill Fennessey's beautiful Mark75H racing motor was looming large at the bottom of the escalator.

Bill had a 75H, 30H, 20H, 20H conversion, "almost" a Lockwood Racing Chief, and one more motor that I have forgotten. There was a Yamato on a runabout there, but I'm pretty sure that was another guy who just got back into racing (AOF).

I have been told that Bill's 75H motor is a look-a-like, built from some castings done by Elmer Grade in Florida many years ago.

Tom

Raceman
01-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Tom, there was also a KG4H on a little runabout down there by the race motors.

As far as Bill's 75H, when I saw it several years ago, he told me something about his having been used for a mold to make some look alikes. He was alledging at the time that his was real. I kind of thought that was Bill's stuff because of that red Mk20 or Mk25 electric start (or whatever that motor was) Bill has the only one of those I ever saw.

25XS
01-14-2003, 07:45 AM
Yep, Raceman got it... The two motors I forgot were the KG-4H and also the Mark25E, a very rare and nicely restored electric starting version of the Mercury Mark25 outboard.

Do you suppose that a skilled outboard motorhead could slip a small supercharger under the Mark25E cowl bulge in place of the electric starter??? A supercharged "Mark20HS" could be the new Merc Nut skunkworks project.