PDA

View Full Version : white gelcoat wet sand

stevo18
03-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I have a 2000 stv pro-comp and I repaired littlle dings and scratches on the bottom last summer by gel repair and wet sanding and buffing it. It came out nice and smooth but if you look at it in the sun you can see some of the sanding marks I used 600 grit to start and worked my way up to 2000 grit but I can't seem to get the right compound thats were I have troubles each time. So what do you guys recomend me to use It would help me alot.

The top of the boat is starting to fade a little and i wanna put time to bring it back all nice and shiny I want to use the same method that I did for the bottom but all the compounds that I tryed simply don't work or they burn everything. I don't wanna mess up my boat by doing a rookie mistake

thanks
steve

stevo18
03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
no one has ever wt sanded and buffed a boat before??

JohnR
03-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm no expert but here's what I did:

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23534&highlight=Buff

stevo18
03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
thanks thats exactly the kind of info I was searching for !!!!
gonna get to it in a few weeks!!!

JohnR
03-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Always glad to help.

rev.ronnie
03-15-2013, 04:50 AM
I just did the face of the transom on one of my boats. It had some rash from a previous jackplate. I figured I would hit it with 600 until I was happy, and if I burned through, it would go to the body shop anyway.

Well, I got it 99% perfect with the 600 on a DA. The went to 1500 by hand (wet), then 3M super duty rubbing compound, then McGuires rubbing compound on the buffer. It looks like new.

stevo18
03-15-2013, 07:26 AM
That's what I use to the 3M compound and its almost like sand and water mixed together that's why I'm gonna use it to do the first ruff pass and then get a lighter compound and swirl remover from McGuires + wet sand at first!!
thanks everyone for your info I will give you details when I'm done :cheers:
steve

JohnR
03-15-2013, 08:50 AM
I would suggest a glaze before the final wax. It really made mine come out richer and deeper.

stevo18
03-17-2013, 08:11 AM
ok I will check that out thanks

tony97gt
03-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Are you using a rotary buffer, orbital, or DA?

stevo18
03-18-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm using a Dewalt buffer with variable speeds I'm checking for the pads and compound materials that i will need for me to do the job this spring!! can't wait to bring it back to almost NEW!!!

tony97gt
03-18-2013, 08:56 PM
Right, but if it's a rotary then that's probably why you are burning through. Rotaries produce much more heat than a DA or an orbital. DA is in between a rotary and an orbital and will be safer than the rotary but faster than an orbital. Think I said that right.

Gelcoat is pretty hard and takes some heat to get worked up, but too much will cause problems. If you're not a body shop guy I'd say to invest in a good DA and get some experience with it. If you get a nice one you can use it on your car too and produce amazing results. I get all my stuff for the car and boat from www.adamspolishes.com. Their DA's have a lifetime warranty.

stevo18
03-19-2013, 07:45 AM
I was on the right track I just did not have the right finishing compound has for the buffer yes it's a rotary I just both it a few days ago I used to take my old rotary that I had but it was not the best it only had 2 speeds and it was way to fast for the first ruff compound pass. I used to detail and buff cars at a GM dealer at a young age but I almost never did gel coat. last summer I did all the bottom of my boat and it turned out nice but I did not use a finishing glaze and a swirl remover I was skipping steps to save time and trouble since its under the boat.
I'm gonna redu it all this spring bottom and top
Thanks for the link I will check it out to get materials.

LongShot
04-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Finish it off with your rotary with foam pad and 3M Finesse-it. I never wax mine after that.

stevo18
04-01-2013, 09:39 AM
cool well I bought some collinite 885 wax for it so I will try that but if its realy clean after the finesse it I will leave it like that!!! thanks for the tip.