PDA

View Full Version : What life jackets are people running at high speeds?

rgsauger
02-13-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm putting this in the Tech section and if it's wrong, then we can move it. BUT...as much emphasis is placed on getting our rides to haul balls, I sure would like to know who's wearing what in the way of life jackets. Hopefully, I will be in the 70's very soon and low 80's by the end of this year. I want to be around to brag about it and want to do things the right way - not just bubble gum and bailing wire.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone. :thumbsup:

Rob

flabum1017
02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Lifeline 'nuff said

http://lifelineracegear.com/main/index.php

F14
02-13-2013, 12:17 AM
agree, Lifeline!

BeefKid
02-13-2013, 12:20 AM
:iagree:

rhickox
02-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Lifeline as always..... But they aren't cheap either. Pay for good safety items or just go ahead and pay for a coffin.

rgsauger
02-13-2013, 12:54 AM
So all the time, every time? Or just when you are really letting it eat? I always wore a pretty decent life jacket when runing bass boats and such but don't have much seat time in small boats at high speeds. 80mph in a tunnel is a helluva lot different than 80mph in a Baja or Cigarette.

rgsauger
02-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Are you guys running the sport 160 or comp 170 series vests? Also, with some people in tripple digits, at what speeds do most people put on helmets?

F14
02-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Its got to be your call and I am sure its different for each of us. It can get ugly very quickly in a small tunnel but no other boat is a exciting to run. Always would have to be the best practice but I have to admit, I dont always, but I should. The Lifeline is very expensive but worth every penny. Be safe!

I run a 170 and I like a helmet over 90 mph

2.5_stoker
02-13-2013, 01:05 AM
lifeline and SRP seem to be the choices of the guys that race!

rgsauger
02-13-2013, 01:06 AM
So which lifeline? The 170 series? And I agree that the smaller ones are a huge rush that the big ones just don't have!

F14
02-13-2013, 01:09 AM
the 170 offers a high level of protection but is not very comfortable for me. A different series might be better.

rgsauger
02-13-2013, 01:12 AM
the 170 offers a high level of protection but is not very comfortable for me. A different series might be better. thanks. I see them come up for sale used from time to time. Any problems with getting a used one, that fits, that you see? What kind of top end #'s are you running?

F14
02-13-2013, 01:13 AM
That is what I did, good luck

Dave Strong
02-13-2013, 01:28 AM
Just go to a race event and see what guys use. Choice is simple.

Dave

rev.ronnie
02-13-2013, 05:03 AM
I wear a Lifeline 170, a Pyrotect full face racing helmet and Simpson single layer, fireproof racing gloves when I'm running over 85-90 as well.
You never want to get too "comfortable" running really fast speeds without gear. That's when you let your guard down and accidents happen. I even wear a helmet on extended river runs just because I have some hearing loss/tinnitus and my equilibrium gets thrown off without one.

I really advise people to wear racing gloves. If you are thrown from the vessel at speed, you can sustain serious tissue damage from shredding fiberglass and water impact. The "webs" between your fingers can get torn to hell in a hurry. I am so used to wearing them from my drag car that they are second nature for me in the boat.

I will be getting ballistic shorts this year as well. And ones that fit over "Depends" for my passengers.

resqu-u
02-13-2013, 06:11 AM
I use an SRP with leg straps, neck support, and impact panels in the sides.. If you come out you want the most protection possible. Flying Coast Guard search and rescue for the last 11 years has proven time and again that being over prepared is better than being under! Keep a comfy one for cruising with the family and put the protection on when your gonna get in it. It's money well spent on Lifeline or SRP.

Markus
02-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Lifeline + helmet

Saved my life once.

rgsauger
02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
I will be getting ballistic shorts this year as well. And ones that fit over "Depends" for my passengers.

LOL!!!Classic!!! :D

rgsauger
02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
I use an SRP with leg straps, neck support, and impact panels in the sides.. If you come out you want the most protection possible. Flying Coast Guard search and rescue for the last 11 years has proven time and again that being over prepared is better than being under! Keep a comfy one for cruising with the family and put the protection on when your gonna get in it. It's money well spent on Lifeline or SRP.
Point taken! Thanks.

mariawhitetrash
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
I don't know if you can get them in the US but I use a Hutchwilco Race jacket, and I have another for my passenger. They have collars that buckle around your thighs to hold the jacket down instead of nut crusher straps, a built in back support, and are fully UIM certified for offshore racing. I also wear a Bell karting helmet that I had painted pearlescent orange, because landing badly and hitting my head scares the crap out of me! We have to wear both when racing, but I'm yet to drive my boat at all without them, not worth the risk. I'm not usually a health and safety kind of guy, but it helps encourage you to wear it when it looks cool! haha

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/524567_10151449919935076_2030818421_n.jpg

https://www.whitworths.com.au/products/18674_lg.jpg

Mr. Demeanor
02-13-2013, 12:38 PM
On a more budget conscious level for every day boating, still being rated for 100mph, and being CG approved, Mustang Survival has some offerings. The SAR series also is impact rated.
http://www.leisurepro.com/1/4/mustang-survival-high-impact-sar-vest-large

I have the Accel 100 which is also rated for 100mph. I know one of our members has the same jacket and added leg straps to it.
http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-Survival-Accel-100-High-Speed/dp/B0076ICYT4

Just remember to carry a CG approved jacket in the boat if you are using a Life Line. They are not CG approved even though they are superior jackets. You could get a ticket for just having one of those.

rev.ronnie
02-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Just remember to carry a CG approved jacket in the boat if you are using a Life Line. They are not CG approved even though they are superior jackets. You could get a ticket for just having one of those.

One of the guys out here challanged that in court up here and won. He got the ticket and the fought it.

I wouldn't waste the time though. Easier to carry an extra. You're required to have a "throwable" too.

pointer
02-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Had a surprise this past summer - not boating but waterskiing. My wife and kids had bought me a brand name neoprene ski vest for fathers day. Had a chance to try it out in July - at about 34 MPH on a 60' rope. First time I had skied in a few years and sometimes my brain forgets how old my body is. I was cutting harder than I should have been (at least in the first 10 mins....) and lost my edge crossing the wake. The landing by all accounts was spectacular, arms, legs and spray. When I finally surfaced the zipper on that fancy jacket had unzipped down to the waist buckle. I expected better from the jacket and admission for the next one from the spectators.
I was probably doing mid 40s. Food for thought.

pointer

mach351
02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
If my boat gets on plane, my lifeline is on. We are all the same...may say "I'm just going to take it easy" but if someone pulls up next to you, you're not gunna say "hey let's stop so I can put my jacket on" your gunna floor it.

2.5_stoker
02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
If my boat gets on plane, my lifeline is on. We are all the same...may say "I'm just going to take it easy" but if someone pulls up next to you, you're not gunna say "hey let's stop so I can put my jacket on" your gunna floor it.

wheres the "like" button when ya need it...im guilty of not wearing a jacket all of the time and have come into this exact situation...

transomstand
02-13-2013, 06:39 PM

Words to live by:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sonik
02-13-2013, 08:35 PM
I bought the 160 sport vests initially as they were more "affordable" than the 170......(not that I'm trying to put a price on my safety but we all have our financial limitations). The 160's are a great entry level jacket with leg straps and neck flotation, and aren't as uncomfortable as the 170 (important to me early on....at the time since I was only running ~80mph). BUT, I will be buying a 170 this year as the power/mph have both increased and, naturally, want the best jacket I can get my hands on.

I agree with Machs statement as well.....my jacket goes on no matter how hot, miserable, or distracted I am.....whether its just a cruise or top end rip. I make the wife do the same and she openly hates it...but understands the need. As has been said already......it does no good unless its strapped to you if/when you need it. :thumbsup:

rockyone
02-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Tell us about your trip to Key West- Hope you had a good time!

200valeroyt
02-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Only running low 90's, but i always wear lifeline jacket because I know what my intentions are before leaving. I've also been wearing the helmet more often, may look rediculous at times, but it definetly calms the wind down. And safer of course.

Mr. Demeanor
02-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Only running low 90's, but i always wear lifeline jacket because I know what my intentions are before leaving. I've also been wearing the helmet more often, may look rediculous at times, but it definetly calms the wind down. And safer of course.

Helmets and ear plugs will GREATLY reduce your fatigue after a long day of running fast.

baja200merk
02-13-2013, 10:46 PM

:iagree: Aint that the truth.... I'm guilty :o

I do try not to lie to my self "im gonna take it easy". 4500rpm might be easy on the motor but 90mph water is not easy on the body :eek: Chit, even falling off a jetski at a real 55mph ON gps HURTS...

madtunnel
02-14-2013, 07:51 AM
I have a couple of questions.
1 Some one said earlier that the Life line vest are not Coast Guard approved is that true??
2 Some one said earlier that the mustange is only good for a couple of years and the life line are handed down to generations. Why is that?

I wear a piece of crap vest now{ but it is coast guard approved} and am going to get one or the other Life line or Mustange but as some one stated befor My boat goes on plane my piece of crap vest is on. It just seams to me that ALOT of you guys think Life line or nothing. ????????

transomstand
02-14-2013, 07:58 AM
1 Some one said earlier that the Life line vest are not Coast Guard approved is that true??

True. The approval process is VERY expensive, needlessly adds more cost to the jacket, and is meaningless when it comes to saving your life. They are approved by every racing sanctioning body on earth.

rgsauger
02-15-2013, 11:16 AM
This is a great thread and I really appreciate all the feedback. From a $ standpoint, it sure seems that the Mustang vest offers a lot of value at roughly $150. Mustang High Impact SAR Vest 272300

madtunnel
02-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Agreed I ordered 2 of them this week for me and my nephew who rides with me for less than the price of 1 non USGA approved life line. It's not how much is your life worth but rather how stupid do you plan on driveing your boat. I do not race but do like going fast and feel this jacket will be just as safe as the high dollar ones:leaving:

This is a great thread and I really appreciate all the feedback. From a $ standpoint, it sure seems that the Mustang vest offers a lot of value at roughly $150. Mustang High Impact SAR Vest 272300

cb541
02-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Let me know when you get it in,I would like to try it one. I almost ordered one my self to try it out. I used have a LifeLine and it wasnt very comfortable for me.
Agreed I ordered 2 of them this week for me and my nephew who rides with me for less than the price of 1 non USGA approved life line. It's not how much is your life worth but rather how stupid do you plan on driveing your boat. I do not race but do like going fast and feel this jacket will be just as safe as the high dollar ones:leaving:

Scott in MN
02-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Doesn't look like the Mustang vest has leg straps......

Li'l Toy
02-15-2013, 06:07 PM
I went with two Lifelines, but looked into the Mustang as a jacket when I have more people in the boat. That same jacket is marketed under two names, and it does have leg straps.

Scott in MN
02-15-2013, 06:19 PM
I thought it odd that it would be 100 mph rated and not have straps, guess the description I read left that part out.....

RussF
02-15-2013, 08:48 PM
I thought it odd that it would be 100 mph rated and not have straps, guess the description I read left that part out.....

the Mustage pictured does NOT have leg straps....................you have to add them yourself

Fish
02-15-2013, 10:19 PM
i am another one who "if the ignition is on, the life line is on" (also kill switch).

if you are thinking about it in terms of "is this vest good enough?" you are thinking about it wrong. most of us who have been around a while have seen our share of crashes, seen friends hurt, seen friends die. Lifeline and srp have the rep they have for a reason, it can save your life.

first of all, these jackets are designed so that no matter how you enter the water, it will turn you over on your back and float you face up. this means even if you are unconcious you can still breathe. they will also stay on and not shred when you hit the water or go through part of your deck when your boat goes over. when you need a jacket is when the shi& hits the fan and there is no such thing as good enough at that point, you want something that will make the difference between life and death or at least give you better odds of it being one and not the other.

at blingmaster, one of our members and a good friend to many of us went over at about 70mph. he had a "good enough" jacket on. even though 70 is considered cruising to most of us, between contact with the deck and the impact of the water, his jacket shredded. had another member here not been coming the other direction with a passenger who dove in the water and happened to bump into the guy who blew over as he was sinking, he never would have come up.

another member a couple years ago was making passes at a get together. left his lifeline on the beach right next to his fiance because he wasn't gonna go that fast. he blew over. i and 4 other people spent well over an hour in the water diving down trying to find his body. it was deep, really murky, the current was really strong; we never found him. law enforcement finally found him late the next day. idk if he would have lived through his crash, but a lifeline or srp would have brought him to the surface where we could have found him, tried to save him, gotten him medical attention instead of what happened.

i am not gonna say you will automatically survive a bad crash with a lifeline or srp, but i will say you have a much better chance in a lifeline or srp than anything else. There are a lot of members on this board who can testify to that first hand. bottom line, is your life worth a few hundred or even the difference in price between a good enough jacket and the price of a lifeline or srp?

just my $.02, off my soap box now.

rgsauger
02-16-2013, 04:15 AM
Sorry about your buddy, Fish. That story really sucks. Points made and taken...

transomstand
02-16-2013, 08:03 AM
There are a lot of members on this board who can testify to that first hand. bottom line, is your life worth a few hundred or even the difference in price between a good enough jacket and the price of a lifeline or srp?

With some of absurd comments I've read here, it may not be worth the extra hundred for some, probably not worth saving anyway:rolleyes:

We'll just have to continue on with those who know, and those who think they know.

Dave Strong
02-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Most people are willing to spend $500-1000. on that " majic" prop. So its beyond me why anyone wouldn't spend the money on something that could save their life.

Dave

mariawhitetrash
02-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Most people are willing to spend $500-1000. on that " majic" prop. So its beyond me why anyone wouldn't spend the money on something that could save their life.

Dave

That is a very very good point!

I'm surprised how many pictures and videos there are on here of people running big speeds without a helmet too. I actually prefer driving wearing one, no wind noise, you can see without your eyes streaming, and can talk clearly to the passenger/navigator through the intercoms

tux974
02-17-2013, 07:39 AM

Amen, we are all guilty even in our family cruisers!! ;) It is just like we all say, this is a fun run not a race....but BTW who made it there first :confused::D
Lifeline or SRP for me :thumbsup: Lifeline saved me once and hoping to never test it again :nonod:
PS: Kill switch for the driver and passenger are also a must for me!

madtunnel
02-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Well I got my Mustanges yesterday and I tell ya they look great. I think my dad summed it up best with what he said about them.

Well son they are nicer than any vest I ever had. I can't wait to whear it but hope to never try it out :D

rgsauger
02-23-2013, 02:45 PM
MAdtunnel, which Mustangs did you get? Do they have leg straps or will you add? also, are these designed to turn you face up if unconscious or do you know?

Fish
02-23-2013, 11:19 PM
for those of you shopping for a jacket, check out this video. if you have a short attention span, start at 3:50..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsWXGpGiRRs can the good enough ones do this and stay together/stay on?

stokernick
02-24-2013, 10:27 AM
If that doesn't bring you to your senses then go ahead and take your chances!! For what?? A couple hundred dollars!!!!!

gary slagle
02-24-2013, 12:45 PM
those mustang jackets look like the ski- fishing jackets with a small neckroll-collar that are sometimes available at wallyworld. mercury marine had some at their dockstore, i got one for christmas several years ago ,has leg straps also.they claimed 100 mph approved... they do NOT compare with a lifeline or srp even tho they are coasguard approved.i sometimes wear my merc jacket due to the comfort factor,my srp is somewhat comfortable, alot better than the lifelines i have had in the past . as stated in this thread, any lifejacket is better than none ,YOU GOTTA WEAR IT!!kinda reminds me of our florida helmet law as i see many riders without one ,or some salidbowl at best , or a helmet straped to the seat as the squid blazes down the road....i dont like pain or sand in my face,i wear an arai.bottom line is as stokernick states above, life is worth more than a few hundred dollars, well said nick!:iagree:

madtunnel
02-25-2013, 10:18 AM
I purchased the ones you have pictured on post 44 or so. no leg straps but may add them? I do not believe they will float you face up.
As mentioned earlier I DO NOT intend on driveing a hundred mile an hour evry time i get in my boat. It has nothing to do with is it good enough Cause I believe the Mustangs are good enough for the type of gatherings I plan on attending. If I plan on makeing several hundred mile an hour passes then I will where a life line.

MAdtunnel, which Mustangs did you get? Do they have leg straps or will you add? also, are these designed to turn you face up if unconscious or do you know?

madtunnel
02-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Let me ask all you Life line guys something. How many people ride with you when you run high speeds?

How many life line jacets do you have in your boats?

Do your passengers have on life lines or do you just give them good enough jackets? I am pretty sure every one on here is on some sort of boat budget or another. If I can get 2 jackets that are rated at 100mph for the price of one then call me cheap for at least trying to protect my passenger that happens to be my nephew. Yes that blow over was a terrible accident but what if he had on another brand of jacket and still walked away then what would be said. The bottom line is where a life jacket period.

RussF
02-25-2013, 10:46 AM
I have 3 lifeline.......................smal........med............large................I started with the Mustang

stokernick
02-25-2013, 10:53 PM
I guess if you wear all three at the same time you'll be alright, especially since you spend most of your time on land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p:reddevil::reddevil::reddevil::o:o:o

madtunnel
02-26-2013, 09:07 AM
I want to applogize for my little rant yesterday but I feel you guys are detearing new guys from buying better equipment just because it's not life line. When I posted there were 1,016 veiws and now there are 1,182 or some thing like that and only 1 responce to the question. {Thank you Russ} Happy and safe boating to every one.

RussF
02-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I guess if you wear all three at the same time you'll be alright, especially since you spend most of your time on land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p:reddevil::reddevil::reddevil::o:o:o

all I can say is ........I like too talk to people

tux974
02-26-2013, 05:25 PM
i guess if you wear all three at the same time you'll be alright, especially since you spend most of your time on land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p:reddevil::reddevil::reddevil::o:o:o

LMAO!!!! Russ, you will have to proven him wrong this year....you'll have tow him when he runs out of fuel :p:reddevil:;):D

RussF
02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
LMAO!!!! Russ, you will have to proven him wrong this year....you'll have tow him when he runs out of fuel :p:reddevil:;):D

yup ................I NEVER RUN out of FUEL......................I also have good ropes to tow.......................:eek:

stokernick
02-26-2013, 06:53 PM
yup ................I NEVER RUN out of FUEL......................I also have good ropes to tow.......................:eek:

I always have a tow rope, and, Tony, remember, if you never run your boat you'll never run out of gas!!!:p:eek::o

tux974
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I always have a tow rope, and, Tony, remember, if you never run your boat you'll never run out of gas!!!:p:eek::o

You have a point....:o:D:smiletest:

RussF
02-26-2013, 07:03 PM

we'll see this year..............................:reddevil:

frederick55
03-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Most of us have seen this vid, but when talking about the importance of face up floatation and torso protection, it doesn't hurt as a reminder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

robertpitter
07-04-2013, 11:28 PM
definately lifeline

BeefKid
07-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Most of us have seen this vid, but when talking about the importance of face up floatation and torso protection, it doesn't hurt as a reminder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

yes jacket is crucial! and that is not how anyone should be running over a wake at all especially in a v bottom... tunnel prob would of stuffed and hurt him more but that was a stupid (showing off) act in that vid :nonod: imo

revlimiter
07-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I run what im willing to wear everytime I turn the key.I have a hard time believing that everyone saying Lifeline is wearing it everytime you turn the key.The fact is there not as comfortable as a regular ski vest.The lifeline does you no good laying under your dash if you need it regardless if your running 5mph or 100mph.When it comes to wearing a vest Im brutaly honest either the damn thing is on or its off,key on vest on.