PDA

View Full Version : Paint or Gel Coat??

Cycix
01-09-2003, 03:17 AM
I was considering refinishing my boat and wanted some opinions on what was the best. The boat currently has chipping clear coat and beneath is a layer of gel coat with large metal flake in it. The boat will probably be ran completly on fresh water eg. lakes/rivers. I am looking for about the same scheme but with some different colors. What do ya think?

Backfire
01-21-2003, 11:15 PM
You may want to gel coat (that's three coats-backcoat, flake, and clear) if you have the proper equipment and a paint booth instead of a garage, have worked with resin/gelcoat before, understand the products you will work with, spends hours and hours sanding before you paint and hours and hours after you paint, and hours of buffing, are you a good spray painter? If you can't answer yes to all that, you may want to just paint it.
Backfire ;)

Eagle One
01-22-2003, 12:48 PM
If you want to keep the current colors I recommend you get a small amount of clear Gelcote and fill the nicks if they are not too severe. After sanding the patches smooth and sanding the entire area to be painted with 400 w/d paper you can top coat with a good urethane such as Dupont Omni or any other brand. Just be sure to use a slow all over paint and hardener to get the high gloss and no orange peel. If you want to changer the colors you can fill the nicks with polyester spot putty and use a good acryli enamel with plenty of urethane additive and get a very good ,very durable finish. We use Dupont Nason with # 483-11 urethane additive and it stays wet looking for years. see all our Products at www.eagleoneperformance.com
Eagle One

Cycix
01-25-2003, 06:30 PM
I was wanting to change colors. I thinking maby a metalic paint would be good, in the colors of brite copper orange, and plumb purple. This is a photo chopped version of what I kninda want to do. What do ya think.

Cycix
01-25-2003, 06:35 PM
here is a side view.

Eagle One
01-26-2003, 04:14 PM
There are a lot of metallic a well as pearl and fire mist colors in the urethane and acrylic lines . Visit an auto and or marine Paint dealer and you'll find thousands of colors to look at.
Eagle One