PDA

View Full Version : Yet another car project

Raceman
01-08-2003, 05:18 PM
I've been about to bust a gut to post this one, but being superstitous, I didn't want to post pictures until at least the transporter picked it up.

This is the first car I've ever bought sight unseen, based on the description of a knowledgeable seller and a bunch of pictures. If you don't think firing fair sized cashier's checks off to strangers, based on long distance calls and e mails will pucker yo' spinkter, you oughta try it.

Raceman
01-08-2003, 05:25 PM
I haven't even seen this car yet, but it's on the truck, in transit, and paid for, so I hope it's AS represented.

Here's the bio: Original paint, absolutely no paintwork ever. Factory mechanical fuel injection, with original injector and original engine. (not restamped, numbers matching or any of those crap buzzwords..........THE ORIGINAL ENGINE PERIOD) Car was bought from the estate of the original owner fairly recently. It includes the original dealer's invoice and original window sticker (not a repro)

It's gotta come completely down, but should make an unbelievable car when finished, given it's drivetrain, total lack of damage and pedigree.

Tomorrow's gonna be an anxious day waiting for the truck.

Raceman
01-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Here's a rear pic. Dang, this guy's shop sho' is a lot cleaner than mine ever is.

stratos
01-08-2003, 09:43 PM
looks like you found ya a nice unmolested vette gettin kind of hard
to find old cars that havent been modified anymore good luck on your project

Tom D.
01-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Sweet find! Very hard to find, no damm near imposible to find one today like that! Is the motor in it? Nose looks high.

Tom

Raceman
01-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Good eye Checkmate. Yes, it's out. Injector is headin' off to a restorer on Fri.

FCnLa
01-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Gotta love a '62!!!!! Wow, that is some car! I love Corvettes. I use to have a 66 Coupe with a 300hp 327 and a powerglide. Bright Orange!! The only thing I did not like about it was the auto tranny (wanted a four speed).

What horse power is it? The '63 had a 375 horse power 327 for the largest horse engine (if I remember right LOL).

I would like to have a mid sixties Vette again. Have to be a '65 or up though. Gotta have those huge disk brakes!

:cool:

Raceman
01-08-2003, 11:27 PM
62 was first year of 327. The big carb motor was 340 horse and the fuelie was 360. The same motors carried over into the first Stingray body style, which happened in 63. In 64 these two engines were upgraded to 365 for the carb and 375 for the fuelie. The upgrades included the 30 30 Duntov camshaft, which was used in all solid lifter small blocks from 64 through all the 302 Z28's in 69. (the 350 cu in Z28 in 70 got a camshaft upgrade.) Other differences between the 62/63 engines and the 64 foward were the change from AFB to Holley carb and the newer ones got the heads with the 2.02 valves, while the 340/360 used the smaller 300HP valve sizes. All of these engines had the 11:1 pistons. A very similar engine was also introduced in 65, a 350 horse 327. This engine was EXACTLY the same as the 327/365, except a hot hydraulic cam was substitued for the 30 30 Duntov solid lifter cam. It was actually a better street engine and survived after the 365 was dropped in 66.

trbocharge
01-08-2003, 11:38 PM
lotsa luck with your new project..........

XS4U7566
01-12-2003, 12:57 PM
Keep us informed of your progress are you going to restore it and drive it or show it good luck Greg.

Tom D.
01-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Love the "Corvette" valve covers and of course the FI.;)

Tom

sms
05-14-2004, 08:54 AM
I ran across Raceman's old 62 Vette thread. Any update on this cool car? I had my 59 out this week for a few hours. Gotta do this more often for sure.

Raceman
06-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Nice looking 59 SMS. I've got an original paint, one owner one in that same color combination, but the paint is WAY too far gone to try and salvage, but I ain't even thinkin' about takin' it apart until I get something else back together.

I haven't made much progress on the 62. We've stripped most of the remaining original paint (original paint cars are so easy to work with) and just have 1 door and the top left to do. I haven't started with the engine yet, or sent the injector off to the guru, but I did finally send the bumpers to the plater. I dread standing on my head under the dash to get the windshield off and with all this stuff layin' around in pieces it's too easy to just work on something less aggravating. This seems to be 65 GTO week. Who knows what brain wave will determine the agenda for next week? They're all a helluva long way from finished and that's what makes it overwhelming.

sms
06-16-2004, 10:06 AM
You need to find a 12 year old kid to help you with the windshield. You can't get under there even when you get the motivation! Staying topside is the better job anyway.

sms
06-16-2004, 10:20 AM
BTW Raceman, is your one owner car a 59? If so what's the chassis #? We're filling a 59 registry. Mine is 6021.

See it at http://59vette.cjb.net

WharfRat
06-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Hey Norris, I'll send ya my 14 yr old for the summer, he loves working on stuff like that (he actually has some experience as well):D :D

But you gotta feed him !!!!:eek:

tripledude
06-16-2004, 01:24 PM
That's quite a find. The uncle that bought my GTO when it was new also bought a 62 fuelie when new. Fawn beige--never a favorite color of mine. I was in junior high and at his house one day. His son/my cousin had a bunch of kids over hanging in the garage. Of course, they all had to rub against the vette while drooling. When they left, my cousin and I decided we had better dust off the car or his dad would see all those rubmarks. Then we went to hang out somewhere. Awhile later we were walking down a sidewalk and we hear the fuelie "whistle" come roaring down the street. Uncle pulled up to the curb, slammed on the brakes and yelled,"WHO'S been dusting my car?" We both came up just short of an ass whippin' that day!! I don't recall much else other than it taking awhile to find someone that really knew how to work on the injection. He also had Bucron cheater slicks on all four corners. Almost twenty years ago, a buddy bought a restored 62 vette from the owner of Valley Head Service in California. Back then, they were building Indy car heads amongst others. The car had been used for buildup articles in Popular Hot Rodding. A great deal of care was used in preserving the factory waves in the body. The car came with a HOT 350 and fresh original fuelie motor. He dragraced it a few times and broke into the 12's. Then the stock motor went in. It did well in show competition and then went in the garage. It's been out maybe half a dozen times in the last ten years.

Raceman
06-17-2004, 06:37 AM
I bought a 63 split window out of an old warehouse about 20 years ago, and that guy had a fawn beige 62 also. It was 250 horse and powerglide and I wasn't interested at the time because of the color and engine/trans combo, but tried about 5 years later to find it since it was very original. No luck, long gone. One of my 63's now is tan, a similar color and I'm gonna have a hard time not chaning it when I get around to doing the car.

Raceman
06-17-2004, 06:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sms
[B]BTW Raceman, is your one owner car a 59? If so what's the chassis #? We're filling a 59 registry. Mine is 6021.

Yes it is. I don't have any idea of the number or how early/late the car is. It's buried in storage. In straight axle Corvettes I've got the 59, a red/white coves 60, and the 62 fuelie.

I'm also aware of another 59, an orignal engine, original paint, one owner fuelie, that hasn't been cranked since the 60's. It was drag raced then and is still sitting on the M & H Racemaster tires that were on the back. They guy put the slicks on it, but remarkably didn't pull the manifolds and put headers on. I've tried to buy it for several years but he's very eccentric and won't even discuss it. I think I'll end up with it one day and will probably display it in present condition, since the paint is probably presentable if the years of dust are removed.