PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum - Looking for used Allison - where to start???

copo9560
01-22-2013, 09:13 PM
I am considering parting with my old 69 big block Camaro and swapping it for an Allison Bass Boat. Have had the Camaro a long time but as I get older it is clear my kids have little interest in the old gal. Figured why not return to bass fishing, having owned Ranger and Champion boats in the past.

After some research, starting to look for an XB2003 with a 2.5 280. While this is a significant step away from a traditional bass boat, I have always wanted a fast boat - this model appears to be capable of achieving my goals and hopefully within an affordable cost range.

Questions:

1) What is best place to start looking for a used Allison? So far have not found a lot on internet but probably not looking in the right place.

2) What is the recommended maintenance interval for the 2.5? How reliable are these on a boat that is not always run at the limit.

3) Can someone with reasonable mechanical skills pull off a rebuild at home? I have rebuilt both auto and motorcycle engines at home and am not afraid to tackle something new.

3) Besides compression test & hours, anything else should I be looking for in a performance outboard?

Any suggestions appreciated,

Tom

Corona Mike
01-22-2013, 09:44 PM
I am considering parting with my old 69 big block Camaro and swapping it for an Allison Bass Boat. Have had the Camaro a long time but as I get older it is clear my kids have little interest in the old gal. Figured why not return to bass fishing, having owned Ranger and Champion boats in the past.

After some research, starting to look for an XB2003 with a 2.5 280. While this is a significant step away from a traditional bass boat, I have always wanted a fast boat - this model appears to be capable of achieving my goals and hopefully within an affordable cost range.

Questions:

1) What is best place to start looking for a used Allison? So far have not found a lot on internet but probably not looking in the right place.

2) What is the recommended maintenance interval for the 2.5? How reliable are these on a boat that is not always run at the limit.

3) Can someone with reasonable mechanical skills pull off a rebuild at home? I have rebuilt both auto and motorcycle engines at home and am not afraid to tackle something new.

3) Besides compression test & hours, anything else should I be looking for in a performance outboard?

Any suggestions appreciated,

Tom

Tom, Keep An Eye Out Here In The Classifieds Or On Allison Owners. Now, What You Possibly Will Have To Do Is Buy A Boat With A X-Brand Motor..Smaller Merc Or OMC...Then Look For And Buy The 280 That You Are Looking For...They Are Getting A Bit Scarce!...As Far As A Mechanic, I Live In Fla. And Use A Team Member Here....allisoon man... He's Very Good But, Kind Of A Haul For You. As Far As What To Look For, Without Taking The Motor Appart, Not Really. The 280's have had some slight issues with rods cracking...NOT GOOD ISSUES!...And The Plating Wears. Could You Rebuild It? Maybe, But I Would Get Some Help From An Expirenced Merc Master Mechanic The 1ST. Time. Good Luck And Welcome To Scream And Fly!!! Mike Tyler.

njj502
01-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Keep an eye on here & Allison owners like Mike said. You can also search craigslist. As far as the 280 is concerned plan on regular rebuilds since they are Nic bore motors. Don't throw out the idea of a 225 ProMax or 225x. With a little work these lil motors will haul.

Welcome to S&F!

Nick

copo9560
01-26-2013, 11:24 AM
I looked at Allison Owners and you both are right - great place to start looking. Prices are a little higher than I expected - appears used Allison's hold their value very well.

The 280's appear a little harder to find, need to do more research into the nic bore motors. Thanks for suggestion on Promax or 225x.

steve@scp
01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
allisons do hold their value extremely well.

i have a friend that buys and sells them occasionally. if you want i can pm you his number and get ya'll in contact with
each other. he might like your camaro for trade. :)