PDA

View Full Version : What is this??

P man
01-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Just found this pic on my computer does anyone know what class this is??:confused:
ps looks like a tight cource lol

Danny McManus
01-07-2003, 07:37 PM
cool pic P man!
...not sure but it may be early sport E class action...

David_L6
01-07-2003, 07:41 PM
That may be the Sammamish (sp?) Slough race from out in the northwest. I've seen a few pics of that race somewhere on the 'net, but I can't remember where offhand. Maybe at Charlie Williams site???

Ron Hill
01-07-2003, 09:23 PM
It is the Slough and it is Sport E. Up until 1976, many OPC boats were driven by kneeling. Lee Sutter won "R" at Dayton Ohio in a Kneeldown Marchetti and at the same race, John Rinker blew over his Sport e going into the first turn and broke his back.

As I recall, the OPC Commission wasn't that pleased that a kneeldowner, (Sutter) came into an OPC Nationals and went home witha title. AND, with Rinker breaking his back, the commission decided that everyone should have to sit down.

Don't hold me to the actual facts, but it seems, this rule came into effect at the 1976 National Meeting in Atlanta, GA. This was the same meeting that I tried, unsuccessfully, to get transom heights put in place, and require the Yamato two blade brass propeller as the only propeller...

I was basically laughed out of twon. So, I went home and made three blade Yamato props and sold them for $250 each, when a motor cost $425. 20 SSH and 20SSR did become National classes with all my rules but the brass prop.

About 1978, the OPC Commission decided you had to sit in the middle third of the boat....

So, I'm guessing this picture is PRE 1976, unless it ran as an "E" or "F" AND that was before they ruled tunnel out in HYDRO CLASSES...

Mark75H
01-07-2003, 10:30 PM
That's one of Bill "Mastertech" Kelly's photos. David and Ron are correct that is the Slough run. You find it on this page Mastertech OPC racing (http://www.maxrules.com/fixracepix.html)

2us70
01-08-2003, 10:58 AM
I drove most of my races in kneeldown boats and in the days before power trim was legal. In a light SE or D boat it worked as well as power trim and cost a lot less. I also drove sit down boats as well and found that in short boats you gave up some control. In boats longer than 15' it didnt seem to make much diference. I never drove a capsule boat so I can't speak to that issue but I cant fault the satety they provide.

Capt.Insane-o
01-09-2003, 11:40 AM
How friggin deep is that crick? I checked out the guys page and there are a couple pics where it's not too much wider than the boats! I think I was born in the wrong time frame, whatta blast that liiked to be.

Jeff_G
01-09-2003, 05:57 PM
We used to run a canal in Fla. like that, the Rim Ditch Canal. East side of Lake Ocheechobee. One year put the Jersey Speed Skiffs on with the OPC boats. I think it was Frank Tetro couldn't turn hard enough in the one pin turn and went up into the trees on the bank. They had to come totally off plane to turn.

Today we run a non sanctioned race in the Savannah River in Georgia that you can throw a rock across. If you swing too wide coming out of the first turn you either back off or hit the trees. Go wide and have to duck under the overhanging branches.

Race will be in June if anyone wants any info e-mail me.

Mark75H
01-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Capt, you think that was crazy? How hydros pulling the skiers down the slough? They did that too! These are from the collection of Bob Carver's photos called "Speed and Spray, the Art of Bob Carver" A very interesting photo book of various boat racing

Mark75H
01-09-2003, 06:56 PM
Like Bill Kelly says . . . not everybody made it past that bridge!

Carver used to hang out there and catch the rough action. Ironicly, this guy's name was Payne...

If you like these photos, you should buy a copy of the book. You will find many of the famous boat race pictures you know from way back were taken by Bob Carver.

Ron Hill
01-09-2003, 08:57 PM
I sold Bill Kelly a prop off ebay, He is living in Hawaii. That is an old DeSilva hydro FYI.