PDA

View Full Version : Here's an old pro street project that probably won't ever get finished.

Raceman
01-05-2003, 10:54 PM
I've been foolin' with this thing for over 10 years and it's had very little progress in the last 5 since everybody says pro street is dead. A guy drove this thing in my store as a stocker back then and it had a rod knockin'. I always thought the proportion of the Vega was one of GM's best, except for the undersize rear fenderwells, and of course the anemic power options didn't help the pore' thing's public appeal either. Anyway, I had it in the shop whackin away with a torch and die grinder and a local guy that narrows some rear ends for the drag racers happened by and proceeded to tell me all that I was doing wrong and why my chassis design wouldn't work. One thing he told me was that nobody could but 33 21.50's under a Vega without having em stick out of the fenders because the rear would be to narrow to have any suspension. We blew that theory with this car, along with several others. Not only did I get those tires under the fenders, but also got a 4 link rear with coil overs and dual 3 1/2" exhaust pipes, courtesy of the local HD truck parts house up over the rear and out the back. It'd really be a pretty neat car if I could find the time/energy to get back on it. The picture really doesn't show how those 21.5 inch wide tires overwhelm the rear view. It looks like a steam roller.

Raceman
01-05-2003, 11:00 PM
The car's got a full chassis and cage, scratch built from 2 X 3 mild steel tubing and 1 7/8 for the cage. It's got Strange Struts in front and Wilwood brakes all the way around. Out back is a 4.87 gear in a 9" Ford. The motor is just a mock up at this point, with a bare block and heads, just to get it mounted right and get the exhaust done. The blower's an 8.71 and the injector will be an EFI if I ever get back on it.

Raceman
01-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Here's the side view. Damn, takin' these pics makes me wanna get back to work on this thing.

Barefoot Bob
01-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Looks like it going to ba alot of fun

QUICKSILVER
01-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Are you braggin' or is it for sale? I might know someone that will buy it.

Capt.Insane-o
01-06-2003, 01:20 PM
I've done quite a few vegas, they are fun little cars, the coolest one was with the Turbo 3.8, kinda roadracer kinda mad max. Shoot man, that bugger is almost done, don't stop now!

ken medendorp
01-06-2003, 01:43 PM
I had a pro street 69 vette with a482 cu in BBC with a nash 5speed ford 9" ran 9:80's alot of fun. Pretty hot settin in the stagein lane's in 95 degree heat that's when decided to go boating:cool:

vector mike
01-06-2003, 06:46 PM
I had one of those Vega things that I built. Never made it to the track before I tore it apart and put all the stuff into my S-10. Had to sell the S-10 because of a divorce but now have a 87 Street Camaro that runs 11.30's. I already posted the Camaro on here before but here are the pics of a couple of my old fast rides. :)

vector mike
01-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Here's the S-10.

Raceman
01-06-2003, 07:27 PM
"that bugger is almost done, don't stop now!"

It ain't a matter of stoppin' now, that happened several years ago.............it's a question of gettin' restarted. The problem is I keep buying projects and the new ones always are more fun than the old ones, then ANOTHER new one comes along, and the buildings just fill up with a bunch of taken apart, unfinished junk. As a matter of fact, I made a commitment to myself about a month ago not to buy any more projects until I get somethin' finished, then boom, the right Corvette came along and I had to jump. I have NO WILLPOWER.

FCnLa
01-07-2003, 02:47 AM
21.5" WIDE!!!!! Damn, that thing would hook in the rain!!!:)

A friend of mine use to have one. Not quite like yours, but it had a 350, 4 spd and a narrowed rear. N 50 14's on the rear. It was also tubed and caged. It was really cool with the std tranny.

I knew one more guy that had one with some kind of turbo charged all aluminum small cube V8. It was either an Olds or a Buick engine. It was not super fast, but was really cool.

Raceman, you sound like me. And I just found another boat!!!!!:rolleyes:

JungleJim
01-26-2003, 06:50 AM
Well, for my very first post here, I decided to drool all over your Vega. I keep telling myself.........Self, you gotta buy a tubbed, rolling chassis and transplant the 408!

Man, if my 408 will push my 3300 lb Chevelle to 11.70's (so far) just think what it'll do in a light weight Vega!

For now, I'll continue to drool......... I also have waaaaaayyyy too many unfinished projects.....JJim

scott reierson
02-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Hey boyz...I Need help and some input.

I got the itch to buy a 69 Chevelle. Something Cheap for appreciating fun. (Not like growth stocks). Nice mild drivers are 12K-15K. But not enough power for me. 15K and up are to nice for my use. I want a driver to pound on and act immature with.

I found a nice running ratty yellow 69. Not an SS. Its kind of ratty but everything is there. Nice stout small block runs like its 400+ hp. 350 turbo/cone? with 3800 stall/Manual valve body.

Full interior. Dash wiring is rats nest with no radio. Lights work. No horn. Good headliner, A little bubbly on the lowers but not bad. Straight body. Some original paper work. No AC. Heater works. Glass is good. Runs hard, Breaks tires easily Fun!

Small block. Motor doesn't smoke/Performer Cam/Trick Flow heads/10:1/Performer RPM Intake/pretty quiet gear drive/3:73's . Exhaust good. Glass is good. We drove it in 20 deg weather ran fine. No leaks, no blowby

Guys wants $10K I'm thinking $7K-8K. It feels like it could do low 13's high 12's. No I'm not kidding. I did a small amount of drag racing

I figure later I add a700R4 and a nice AC kit. General TLC etc. Stock look, no tubs. If I clean it up will it appreciate? Or does it need to be an SS?

Any thoughts appreciated. This thing trips my trigger but I don't want to make a mistake.

Scott 608-347-0027

Tom D.
02-12-2003, 08:57 AM
Scott,
Try a site called Team Chevelle at: www.chevelles.com/ It's like this site only for Chevelles. Great people.

Tom

GP-1
02-12-2003, 09:10 AM
Scott,

I'd say you're correct that 10K is definately too strong for a smallblock, non-SS car. It depends on how much you like it, but with some rust, and "rats nest" wiring, I'd be beating him up pretty good on price.. unless (and I can't really believe this is happening...) people are lining up to write him a check... Does he have any receipts for motor/trans work?

In any case... Good luck if you decide to pick it up..

Raceman
02-12-2003, 10:00 AM
I'm with you and GP, the 10K sounds a little stout, based on your description. It does amaze me though the prices that people are asking for mediocre cars now. I guess with decent paint jobs running 3 to 5K, it runs the price of everything up.

Checkmate's right. The Chevelle Forum is an excellent website and I've been playing there for a couple of years. The "Team Member" idea here, was something that I saw there and suggested to Greg. My screen name there is 2BluLS6's if you decide to play around. Team membership there is volunatary, just like here. There are a few other guys here that post there also, but I can't recall who they are.

The best advice I've got is to not get in a hurry and hold out for what you want. It's a lot cheaper to buy something nice than to take something that isn't and turn it into something that is, especially if it isn't exactly what you want anyway.

Good luck with your search.

mardyn
02-12-2003, 10:37 AM
R/M and others... I had a Vega back in late '79 w/ BBC 402 and later a 396... 400 Turbo & narrowed 12 bolt. Tried to drive it back & forth to college, and for general transportation... While it was an interesting project, it was a MASSIVE mistake to use the BBC. (Again this was a street car and my only transportation other than a H2 Kawasaki 750)... I couldn't get a radiator big enough to keep it below about 230 degrees, the uni-body twisted enough to crack the windshield ( I couldn't afford the frame connectors or roll cage), and the floorboards got so hot that I had to use styrofoam insulation under the carpets to keep from burning my feet...even with shoes on. Anyway, not one of my better ideas on a project, but much like you R/M, it all started 'cause one of my buddies said "You can't do that"...

David Berry

btw, I'll tried to post a pic of my latest creation... started on it in '92, went down to East Texas and drove it back to DFW yesterday... going on Hot Rod Magazine's Power Tour later this Summer.

This pic was taken a couple of years ago at Motorsports Ranch (a country club with a road race course rather than a golf course) over near Ft. Worth.

Tom D.
02-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Raceman,
I've seen you on there. My screen name is Sprinter. I've got a 71' GMC Sprint. Use it to tow my Checkmate around.

Tom