PDA

View Full Version : Old Outboard Paint not racing question

Jeff_G
01-03-2003, 12:44 PM
I am looking for the paint codes for the old outboards, particularly some fo the Merc and OMC stuff from the 50's. Not looking for retailers. Anyone have any leads or can supply codes? Any paint brands are ok. Thanks

Mark75H
01-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Jeff, the paint codes for the old motors are unknown. Several guys have tried, but it seems like a pretty good unrestored mis match always kills the certainty of the repro codes; ie color under a serial tag, etc. One possibility is that they may not have been that consistant from paint batch to paint batch.

One thing I have not seen correct yet is the correct level of metalic in Merc paint colors. What was popular back then is out of vogue now.

This exact question comes up over and over on the antique boards...it should be on a FAQ "Sorry we don't know hardly any good paint code matches."

All that said the usual advice is look at some other restored motors and guess your best, don't sweat it, no one really knows for sure....at least not yet.

Raceman
01-03-2003, 11:06 PM
One problem is the metallics available now, compared to then. I got a Dupont rep to work on a match for my 55H (metallic green) and they could come up with a dead right shade, but the size of the metallic they could come up with still made it look all wrong, especially in good light.

Jeff_G
01-06-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys, I have a few old motors I am restoring and if I buy the paint from one of the few guys that offer it I will have more in paint that the motor. And am not sure of the match.

I have a tan and orange Merc, 1961 Cloud White merc and the two different green Mercs. Also a 1956 Evinrude with 2 grays and one white. I was told NAPA but checked my dealer and was told they have no listing. Have another 10 motors after them to do.
If you hear of anything please let me know.

Flat Out
01-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Peter McDowell of the Maple Leaf Chapter of the Antique Outboard Club has done extensive research on paints and finishes on old outboards.
He has paints formulated to his specs and sells them in either aerosol or bulk.
They are available for OMC and Merc. He is always adding new colours.
Info available one Antique site. Go to local chapters ,them Maple Leaf Chapter then Links.
Peter can be contacted at 905 470 7705 or
peter.mcdowell@sympatico.ca
Hope this helps