PDA

View Full Version : 83 switzer 93 200 2.5EFI setup

ferris
07-17-2001, 09:47 PM
I have an 83 switzer w/93 merc 200 2.5EFI. Recently I bought a 26p Trophy. The handling greatly improved as well as the speed. Currently I can reach 70mph(GPS) @ 5600rpm. Next I'm wondering if a jackplate would help performance. Now the motor has no setback and is as low as can be. I'd don't mind springing $ for a plate, but don't want to ad a low water nosecone if possible. Water press is fine now, but I'm concerned with raising the motor height. How close to the hull can the prop centerline be before a lowwater pickup is needed, on average. I thought about raising the motor on the transom now and seeing what that does, but is the setback worth the expense? thanks!

Jimbo
07-18-2001, 04:24 PM
I have a 1991 GL21 Switzer with a 7 inch jackplate on it. This helped the overall performance of the boat ( bow lift and resulted in 1.5 to 2 MPH speed increase. The motor is a stock Merc 200 with the prop shaft 2.75 inches below the pad. I still have good water pressure by blocking off the top two water pickup holes on the side intake area. My best prop is a Merc chopper2 with 26" pitch, gives me 73.5 MPH on my GPS. I also have a Merc tempest 25" that gives me 72MPH but is a better all around prop than the chopper. I too am looking for more speed. I know I need more power but if anyone on this board is familiar with this boat and has some speed tips I would appreiciate it. I have heared that years ago guys were running in excess of 80MPH with 235 OMC's on this hull. Is this true?

ferris
07-18-2001, 05:57 PM
My boat is an ss20b. I'm not sure how simular yours is, but send me a pic if you got one. It's hard to find Switzer owners. Also I considered getting a hydralic steering system. Any suggestions?

Jimbo
07-18-2001, 08:32 PM
I get by with a Merc dual cable "Ride Guide" steering system. The newer hydrolic systems are getting good reviews from the guys that have installed them in the last couple of years. I heard the "Sea Star Pro" system works well. To save money and put more of your money into a jack plate or other improvements --- you could try to install a small torque tab on the starboard side of your lower unit skeg. This will make your steering easier. I will try to get a picture to you. In the meantime --- the boat is a 20 foot long ski boat with a rear bench seat and two bucket seats forward, a closed deck , pad V bottom that weighs about 1150 pounds with seats,gas tank and steering.