PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Tech My "Mythical" 2.4 Merc....

MooreRacing
08-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Well.... Here goes!

So I have posted this on another site, and some folks suggested post'n it over here too, maybe you guys could help too!

I would like to find some "Back-up" or history, an "ad", or maybe some literature on the motor I have..... I know what it is, but most folks are sceptical!

Are you ready...it's a 1978 2.4 OFFSHORE that at the time was "Advertised" as having 250hp! ......Yeah I know, I already know what your going to say, I've heard it all before! I've been called a liar, been told I pieced the motor together... And, that there is no way in hell to get that kind of horse power with vertical reeds! I can't prove the horse power, and if you guys say it's impossible....then it's impossible, I can only tell you what Mr. Mercury told my Dad in 1978 when he bought it brand new! The power-head had NEVER been taken apart or altered untill two weeks ago when I took it apart to "Fresh'n" it up! ALL the parts-n-peices in the pictures below came on it new, from Mercury, in 1978! .....Here is something else to add to the story, which is not in my favor, I lost the orignal cowling in the Colorado River the first time I took it out over 15yrs ago! So long story short, I have no proof other than Hard-to-see pictures of what it said on the side decal, but it read: Blackmax - MERC not Mercury - 2.4/OffSHORE

**UPDATE**
1. I just re-read this, and I kinda sound like an A-Hole, sorry didn't mean too... Up until I posted this on here, I was always told not only "NO" about the horse power, but that my 2.4 couldn't of came from Mercury in 1978, or with a 20" Offshore Mid, or that blocks with Vert. reeds were 175hp....and on, and on... Get's old quick! So I guess I expected the worst before I gave you fellas a chance!

2. ALL, and when I say ALL, I mean ALL, the goodies in the pictures came on the motor from Mercury.... The Cut heads, The flywheel, the 2-stage reeds, the 20" Offshore mid! The only other things it came with NOT in the pictures, are the Tach and the Cleaver....

It would be AWESOME if some one had "Hard" proof for me, or history on it, or....I don't know, something that I could show folks and say "YES" it did come this way!

Here's the pic's..... I can only add "Five" per post, so stay tuned!262031262030262029262032262033

MooreRacing
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
262038262037262035262036262034More picuters....

MooreRacing
08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
More pictures.....262039262040262041262042262043

MooreRacing
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
More pictures....262045262044262046262047262048

transomstand
08-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I think this is at the Miami boat show. I have the literature somewhere. There was never any published horsepower that I know of for that motor. At the 1978 New York boat show, the "rumor" was about 230.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/transomstand/24formula.jpg

outasite
08-22-2012, 04:23 PM
I bought mine new I still have it.At the time everybody had there own idea of the horsepower.We were told 240.I'm sure any horsepower numbers people heard were eather leaked out the door at merc, or whatever the dealer felt the customer wanted to hear.But I will say in 1978 it was a HOT ROD nobody could come close, and for a few years my 2.4 viking combo ruled.The 500-600hp jet boats would come lookin.GET SPANKED.Dealer cost was around $5000.They came standard with merc race tach, and a cleaver prop, and holly blue pump.Still have the prop.they were inline props 14''dia.---BTW hp numbers then were powerhead!(By your serial # yours is a very early production)

MooreRacing
08-22-2012, 04:34 PM
I bought mine new I still have it.At the time everybody had there own idea of the horsepower.We were told 240.I'm sure any horsepower numbers people heard were eather leaked out the door at merc, or whatever the dealer felt the customer wanted to hear.But I will say in 1978 it was a HOT ROD nobody could come close, and for a few years my 2.4 viking combo ruled.The 500-600hp jet boats would come lookin.GET SPANKED.Dealer cost was around $5000.They came standard with merc race tach, and a cleaver prop, and holly blue pump.Still have the prop.they were inline props 14''dia.---BTW hp numbers then were powerhead!

The hp rating at the power head, I just found out about not to long ago... Guy that looked at the photos while back said it looked like a 225hp block in the holes, but with vertical reeds in the front.... It got me thinking about it, and I've been wondering if this block turned into the later 80's (Rated at the prop) 225hp motors? ...just a thought, but I don't know...maybe just grasp'n here!

MooreRacing
08-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Something else.... Might sound crazy, but I also have an '86 200hp, and when I first ran it...it seemed like it pulled alot harder than the '78! My Dad told me I was full of shat, it couldn't pull harder than his "Old Race motor" but, sure seemed like it! ...am I crazy? Maybe just cause it was a newer motor with Horz. reeds and better fuel delivery vs. sat-to-long tired motor with Vert. reeds and bad fuel delivery? ...or am I over thinking that?

MooreRacing
08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
Something else.... Might sound crazy, but I also have an '86 200hp, and when I first ran it...it seemed like it pulled alot harder than the '78! My Dad told me I was full of shat, it couldn't pull harder than his "Old Race motor" but, sure seemed like it! ...am I crazy? Maybe just cause it was a newer motor with Horz. reeds and better fuel delivery vs. sat-to-long tired motor with Vert. reeds and bad fuel delivery? ...or am I over thinking that?

...Guess I'll have the anwswer to my own question here die-rect-ly, right now I'm put'n new C-Clips around the up-n-downs and going through carbs, electrical and seals to stop the bleeding, then give it a another go-round!

MercNuts
08-22-2012, 05:14 PM
I had a new 2.4 Offshore the first year they were available. Im not for sure if it was 1978 or 1979. As they left the factory there was no difference in the internals of the powerhead from the consumer 2.4. I think mine had plastic reeds and aluminum flywheel but that was many Mercs ago and I cant say for sure. The big news was the cowl, the mid section and the solid mounts. I heard everything from 220 to 230 on the horsepower estimates back then but that was crankshaft horsepower rather than at the lower as everything is rated today and they never approached 250 for sure. I would say for sure that your 86 200 would have more power for sure. I bought a new 225 the first year they were out whichwas 1980 or 81 or 82 and it was faster on the same boat than the old Offshore engine was.

outasite
08-22-2012, 06:23 PM
If you look you'll see .100 on top of the heads they were cut at merc.I put a seven pettel front on mine back in 82 (blown warranty 225) Maybe slightly less bottom end but really woke it up above 6000 rpm.When your ready for nitros, I have the modified vertical reed manifold for ya.

VELOCITOY
08-22-2012, 08:29 PM
...nice Mota..but, what kind of boat is it bolted to.?.pretty sweet ride...

MooreRacing
08-22-2012, 10:02 PM
...nice Mota..but, what kind of boat is it bolted to.?.pretty sweet ride...

Thanks Brother! That boat WAS a 1978 Witchcraft - Black Sabbath, bought as a bare hull and two bucket race seats.... Same day as the 2.4!

....you don't wanna see it now, broken transom and been sit'n outside for the better part of 12yrs!

baja200merk
08-22-2012, 10:15 PM
200 or 250 still cool history :thumbsup:

MooreRacing
08-22-2012, 11:19 PM
I think this is at the Miami boat show. I have the literature somewhere. There was never any published horsepower that I know of for that motor. At the 1978 New York boat show, the "rumor" was about 230.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/transomstand/24formula.jpg

I would give BOTH test-ee's to have that freakn cowling back! ...look how freakn cool they looked! ...you've gotta love Black, Chrome, and Red!

.....I'm not cry'n, there's something in my eye!

Hoss Marine Propellers
08-23-2012, 09:59 PM
WH-3 carbs ..... that was early.
Where did the 2 stage reeds come from? I didn't think they made those till later?
The cylinder walls sure look good for an old motor.

My 2.4 offshore was a '79.
I still have the original cowling, offshore mid, block & carbs.... somewhere? (buried under a pile of junk parts, I'm sure?)
I'll have to resurrect it someday and see if I can put it back together with original era parts?

MooreRacing
08-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Where did the 2 stage reeds come from? I didn't think they made those till later?

My 2.4 offshore was a '79.
I still have the original cowling, offshore mid, block & carbs.... somewhere? (buried under a pile of junk parts, I'm sure?)
I'll have to resurrect it someday and see if I can put it back together with original era parts?

It came with those two-stage reeds... My Dad said they were more of a caramel color when the motor was new.

MooreRacing
08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Two more questions:

1. When I put the motor back together, should I just use the settings for the 200hp? I have the shop manual that I got with it, and it's dated 1979 and only covers a stock 2.4 200hp.... Should I get a different manual?

2. Should I replace the Rings on the crank while it's a part? (Think thats what you call them, look like labby seals on a compressor) I guess the manual probably says what to do, just kinda wanted someones opinion!

Thanks

WATERWINGS
08-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Yea....what HE said ^

I kept sayin', "man that thing is clean"....

Da Bull
11-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Just saw this thread and WOW! Bring`s back lot`s of memories for me. Mercury did make some strange limited number motors. I blew up my 1983 2.4 and had a race the next weekend and would have lost the piont lead if it were not for a friend. Snap Robertson with Robertson Marine in Crosett Arkansas told me that he had a dressed drop on 2.4 power head just sitting around his shop and that i should come pick it up and run it till we had our motor built. I picked it up and figured i should put new head gaskets on just for good measure. What i saw inside the cylinder`s was strange. The block was the old style bolt pattern of the 70`s but the ports were same as my 1983 block with finger ports. This didn`t jive in my head so i made a few call`s. I found out that it was one of 14 special 2.4`s made for certain people in Mod-VP. This serial number was intended for the 1981 St Louis Mod-VP National Challenge race won by Allen Stoker. It never made it onto a boat and was a left over.
Your motor sounds like it may have been a predecessor to this motor. It certainly is a gem to have. Hang on to it. It`s probly something you would want to pass along to your kids.

DB

Laser LTV
11-14-2014, 10:50 AM
I would give BOTH test-ee's to have that freakn cowling back! ...look how freakn cool they looked! ...you've gotta love Black, Chrome, and Red!

.....I'm not cry'n, there's something in my eye!i have one I'm thinking about selling.

Slimm
11-14-2014, 12:52 PM
i have one I'm thinking about selling.

MooreRacing, ya better get a nice sharp razor and some real hard liquor....looks like you might be taken up on your offer..lol

Slimm

Laser LTV
11-14-2014, 06:02 PM
That was pretty good Slimm! I just got home and looked at mine and it has V2000 on the back vertical down the center. Anybody know what that means?

CVX20SPRINT
11-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Thanks Brother! That boat WAS a 1978 Witchcraft - Black Sabbath, bought as a bare hull and two bucket race seats.... Same day as the 2.4!

....you don't wanna see it now, broken transom and been sit'n outside for the better part of 12yrs!

I was looking at your first picture and thought it said Black Sabbath on the bill,but thought my old eyes were playing tricks on me.