PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Lower Unit

Dave S
12-28-2002, 08:20 PM
Look what Santa left me!! I must have been a good boy?? :D Well, maybe not. :confused: Because it doesn't fit my motor!?! :eek: Well, it is a CLE, so it must be modern. Right?? :p Hey Sam, what did you get? :D

Mark75H
12-28-2002, 10:57 PM
Dave, do you want me to tell you what bolt pattern is on the top and what motor it fits? Raceman has one and I am negotiating to buy 2 of those...yes we know what they are. Don't you?

PS: hope you don't get any grease on Trish's nice red table cloth

A.Acosta
12-28-2002, 11:15 PM
do you know someting about this one

A.Acosta
12-28-2002, 11:26 PM
is this any good

Mark75H
12-28-2002, 11:34 PM
Anthony... that is a Hubbell. The overdrive unit is more commonly recognized than this direct drive (14:15) type.

I would say it has no practial use as a racing lower unit, but has some historical interest as a collector piece. Value: unknown, not much... but don't thow it out as scrap.

There was a later type with a longer top flange and top adapter and the housing went almost straight up from the rear seal area to the plate. This gave it a much more modern appearance. Jim Parker assumed this unit after Hubbell went out of business.

DaveS tells me his Hubbell is cracked above the rear bearing/seal area....probably why the later version is reinforced above the propshaft.

Barefoot Bob
12-28-2002, 11:36 PM
Now those are lower water pickups

A.Acosta
12-28-2002, 11:42 PM
key 1/4 0f inch wide and it goes from the back to front of the shaft

Mark75H
12-28-2002, 11:48 PM
No, Bob this is a LOW water inlet:

omc-v4
12-29-2002, 10:09 AM
The first one is a peterson O/D. I have a L/H & R/H you had to have the 2ft long stacks and a real light set up to get you going. Pre 67 Johnny sanders driver Alan Yaw owner ran twins on a 3 pt PowerCat hydro. They fit 58 v4 50 hp-68 100hp.Hard to keep them sealed. They will fit v4 stingers too but would not hold up with that much power. Anybody know the name of the team Im talking about.

KEVIN NICHOLS
12-29-2002, 10:24 AM
I HAVE TWO OF THE OVERDRIVE UNITS THE TOP FLANGE ON MINE ARE AN EGG SHAPE ,LOOKS LIKE THEY FIT A JOHNSON V-4 IT HAS A 2 PIECE DRIVE SHAFT WITH A COUPLER I HAVE TWO OF THESE POLISHED AND READY TO GO HOW MUCH ARE THE WORTH.....

Raceman
12-29-2002, 11:08 AM
Damn, I guess those aren't very rare. I've got two of em also. Mine are both new, never bolted on. They have the short stub of a driveshaft also, but I don't have the top shafts and only 1 blade. It's a 2 blade round ear bronze with NO rake. I got em with a pair of X115's, but the guy I got the engines from said he didn't know if his dad ever planned to stick em on those engines and wasnt' sure when/why they had em. One of the engines on my want list is a 60 model 75HP Johnson, the all white one with the gold bands on the cowl and orange emblem front and rear. I figured when I find one I'll stick one of these gearcases on it for display since they're probably not worth much.

Backfire
12-29-2002, 09:19 PM
omc-v4
You talking about Abilene Marine team?
Backfire ;)

omc-v4
12-30-2002, 01:35 PM
Yes you are right.

Dave S
12-30-2002, 07:19 PM
It's good to see some OMC fans. I'm a "Merc Man," but my buddy would beat me with his V4 and Overdrive. He had 90 ci, I only had 66 ci. The Walter Peterson unit I have had the numbers 123. I believe this is how many they may have made. I did not know they made right hand units. I didn't know that they had a seal problem. Early V4 Evinrudes, I believe, had a 2 piece drive shaft with a coupler. So this unit would work with that drive shaft. These facts are not known for sure because I am a "Merc Man." ;)