PDA

View Full Version : Peter Hunn's Vintage Culture of Outboard Racing

Mark75H
12-26-2002, 08:59 PM
I just got my copy today. It is mostly the story of the early 50's political conflicts in outboard racing. A bit gloomy, over and over he mentions the decline in outboard racing from some mythical early 1950's peak. It is based heavily on interviews with Charlie Strang, Claude Fox, Jack Leek and Craig Bowman. With respect to the politics and story metioned, it seems to be extensively researched. As far as boats and motors go, not much mentioned in this book . . . how do you go outboard racing without a boat and motor?

It has teaser references to OPC, but nothing solid. . . you will get more from the pictures than the text; not many 1950's OPC pics to learn much from though.

There are a few hints of a second issue or volume 2 which will certainly contain more OPC stuff, but will probably be limited to the early 60's marathons at Salton Sea, Parker and Havasu and a little about O.F. Christner's "Qunicy Looper" motors and König alky racers.

I recognize one picture as a copy of a copy of something I gave Craig Bowman early last year, oof! Either Craig held out on him for the source or he was too proud to ask.

Technical errors: not near as many glaring errors as Mr. Desmond's last book but a few I saw on my first look through:

Scott "Square Six" is completely misidentified

Identity of the 50's ish "tractor" (puller/prop in front) lower unit is probably completely wrong

The "GO-MAC" lower unit looks like an Eldredge to me; maybe Marshall combined the GO-MAC, König and Merc to make his

Hunn's "Old Outboard Book" third edition is a much better book . . .buy 2 copies of it instead of one of each.

Raceman
12-26-2002, 11:32 PM
I've actually enjoyed Kevin Desmond's book more than any of Hunn's. One of my friends found it in a book surplus store in an outlet mall for 3 bucks and I wish he'd bought all they had.

jjmalkow
12-27-2002, 04:41 PM
I agree Desmonds book A Century of Outboard Racing is much cooler!