PDA

View Full Version : Buick

Ron V
07-17-2001, 09:15 AM
Tow Vehicle: 2000 Buick Century Custom with 3.1 litre SFI V-6 and 4-speed automatic w/lockup (tow in 3rd gear though); dark metallic green, Draw Tite Class II receiver hitch.

Trailer: Vanguard Hurricane drive-on with 3700 lb. capacity single axle and posi-lube spindles. Black enamel frame with pewter wheels, gray bunk and inner fender carpet, and 205/75R14 tires. Custom rot-proof step boards made from 1/2" plastic boards and 3M non-skid tape. Wesbar sealed-beam taillights. Fulton winch and jackstand. Ratchet-type tie down straps from West Marine that I don't know the brand of.

[Edited by V4Freak on 07-17-2001 at 11:44 AM]

Mach2
07-17-2001, 12:02 PM
Tow Vehicle: 97 Chevy Tahoe SS, 4x4, 5.7L V-8, dual exhaust, modified intake, 3.73 gears with locking diff, engine oil and trans oil coolers, Class 4 hitch, electronic brake controller (for towing race car), switch selectable shift firmness

Trailer: Oklahoma bunk trailer, single axle, no brakes, Goodyear Marathon tires

Looper
07-17-2001, 04:25 PM
V4,
I had a Century with a 3.1, and I know they are strong, but I hope you are towing about 1700#, instead of the 3700# cap!
The front drive traction would get light with that much.

My replacement for the Century:
2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew, 4x4, 5.4L.
Trailer: 2001 E-Z loader 2350 capacity, single axle roller trailer, upgraded wheels to 14", capacity to 2850, spare tire bungee-corded to tongue. Galvanized for the salt in the Chesapeake bay. Tongue hack-sawed 18" to fit in garage.

Ron V
07-17-2001, 04:56 PM
You're right, I'm towing about 1700-1800 lbs. total I think. About 100 lbs. of tongue weight. Front wheel drive is great for launching light rowboats on gravel ramps at rural fishing lakes. But for bigger rigs, the weight transfer is all wrong. The power of the 3.1 is more than enough, but I have to watch it that I don't punch it coming off the line or the traction control kicks in and almost snaps the half shafts. Coming out of the ramps has not been a problem though. I just didn't have the bucks for a 4WD pickup or SUV, nor to pay for the gas for one. I drive between 400-500 miles a week and the Century is comfortable as hell and was available as a program car so I got a good deal on it. Plus it gets 25-35 mpg's depending on where and how you drive. I don't tow that far anyway.

As a vehicle in general, I would highly recommend the Century to anyone who does not have heavy towing to do. Especially as a program vehicle. One of the tests I read on it said that it is serving a market of people who are living in the past and is serving it well. Couldn't have said it better myself. And the bang for the buck in the ways of combined comfort, size, economy, and performance is difficult if not impossible to beat, especially now that its cousin the Lumina is gone. For a 4-door sedan it's a ball to drive.

check88
07-17-2001, 05:59 PM
tow vehicle:2001 dodge ram quad cab slt 4x4 offroad package-(whew say that fast 5 times)360, auto, 4:10 axels (can you say 6 mpg)but it will tow my rig up and down the hills of upper michigan without even dropping out of overdrive at 70 mph+.
trailer:eagle tandem with surge brakes (useless)custom fitted bunks for step bottom of boat and a fancy black paint job to boot.

Scott Gilmore
07-17-2001, 09:47 PM
Where in upper Michigan do you live ? Scott

check88
07-18-2001, 05:03 PM
actually scott i live in southern michigan-oakland county to be exact. but we usually go up north every couple of weekends to go boating cause the lakes around here are all to crowded and way to many yahoo's with fat wallets and no brains.that means they can afford big horsepower but have no clue as to how they should use it.

tombrown
08-04-2001, 03:55 PM
I understand the weight transfer issue with front drive cars but I've had perfect luck launching on gravel ramps. Actually, I've only been on a concrete ramp once. The place I normally launch and retrieve is not really a ramp at all. It's just a dirt trail that goes into the water. Someone spread some gravel around on the shoreline and it turns to sand in the lake. The only issue I have is when a 4x4 gets stuck before me and leaves huge ruts. My Maxima doesn't have that much suspension travel.

Seriously, everyone assumes I will not get back up the ramp but I've never been stuck. The trick is to avoid being a moron with a full throttle start. I just ease into the gas. Also, I don't back too far in. Getting the back tire wet is OK, but I don't go deeper than where the water will touch the rear wheel rim.

One thing though, when I tow it really nocks down my fuel mileage. Unless I go really slow, I'm down around the 30 mpg (Imperial gallon) range.