PDA

View Full Version : roller trailer marks

DaveS8984
07-26-2012, 12:08 PM
hello fellas,
can somebody please point me in the right direction. My trailer has rollers (which will be replaced by bunks ASAP) and has left black marks on the hull. The boat is new to me and the black marks have got to go. Is there a product that will take them away. Ive yet to wax the boat will that take them off?? thanks in advance for the help.

afr
07-26-2012, 12:14 PM
we just wipe them off with acetone then hit them with some spray wax / quick detailer
compound works to

DaveS8984
07-26-2012, 12:45 PM
ok cool, thanks. AND since i see your a pro, could you edu-ma-cate me on the metal flake on my checkmate. the top portion is in great shape and bottom is faded. will it shine up with wax? or what is the procedure for wet sand? will that make it shine again without having to clear it?

Ziemer
07-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Magic Eraser should work also. I would think a good cleaner wax will take it off also.

DaveS8984
07-30-2012, 12:49 PM
anybody on the wet sand process?

laser380
07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
I would not wet sand the hull unless you plan to keep cleaning it more often. Wet sanding will basically remove all the marks but will also leave the fresh gelcoat open to fouling a lot worse. Go to the parts store and get some "Scratch out". Miquires makes it and so does Simoniz. Good stuff to remove light blems. It will remove the marks with light rubing. Do not have to work real hard to get them off with it. Then rewax the areas you used it on.

Ziemer
07-30-2012, 07:30 PM
anybody on the wet sand process?

Try this first:
http://www.autogeek.net/medicutco85.html

With a good buffing wheel, this does an amazing job. It starts coarse and works its way down to a finer and finer abrasive. If this won't get it out, think about wet sand.

pyro
07-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Yep... Swirl removing compound on a rotary buffer, finer and finer grades until it shines like glass, then put some good wax on it, keep it wiped down and re-wax often to keep the scum from sticking.

DaveS8984
07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
hey guys im needing the most help on the metal flake. the gel is in awesome shape just those few marks. the flake is real nice at the top but towards the bottom it definately fades out. the boat only has about a 4 inch strip of flake. i read about wet sanding and spraying clear or any other ideas?

Ziemer
07-30-2012, 07:44 PM
hey guys im needing the most help on the metal flake. the gel is in awesome shape just those few marks. the flake is real nice at the top but towards the bottom it definately fades out. the boat only has about a 4 inch strip of flake. i read about wet sanding and spraying clear or any other ideas?

Sorry, meant to say try the stuff I posted on Metalflake first, then use wet-sand as last resort. ;)

DaveS8984
07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
si, comprende. thanks cant wait to try it...

pyro
07-30-2012, 07:51 PM
If you're going to half-ass it, just wipe it down with transmission fluid. :D

Spraying clearcoat is never a good idea. Paint is less durable than gel. It will almost always eventually weather, flake and peel. There's probably already a good deal of factory clear gel over the flake, and it's very workable. Over the years, as it repeatedly gets wet, the water dries and leaves the calcium deposits behind, like hard water stains. Years of this buildup along with surface oxidation turns the surface white. All you need to do is buff away the garbage and re-polish the surface and it will shine again. It shouldn't require any sanding... besides, sanding may work it down to the flake, which will destroy the surface beyond reasonable repair. Start with the least invasive mothod, which is a slow rotary buffer and some medium compound. Don't use any coarser compound than necessary to remove the oxidation. Use a clean buff wheel for each subsequent step of finer-grade compound until it's shiny again, then wax it.

DaveS8984
07-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Ok thats a response i was looking for. Thank you for the advice. I didnt really want to wet sand and clear but i saw on snf people trying it. I am a novice when it comes to boat repair, but not operating so i need all the help i can get. Pyro i love that pic of the stream how the sun is shining about a qrtr of the way back from the bow. Beautiful!!!