PDA

View Full Version : Hands (foots?) down THE best foot throttle controller ever

4fiddyR
06-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Ok, what is the absolute best, smoothest operating, longest lasting, highest quality foot control there is? I am looking for something with sealed bearings in it that does not catch/bind/squeak/stick/get ugly/get crunchy/wear out. This is excludes the main cable of course, that is a whole other piece of the puzzle. I am looking for something that operates as smooth as an automobile throttle and does not feel like metal on metal grinding when I push on it.

I think ultimately, a fly-by-wire foot control would be the answer, but I am not finding any such thing so far. I am not talking about give and take, sacrificing strength for weight, or smoothness for looks. Although if it looked good too that would be a huge bonus.

If I can't buy one, I am probably going to have to have one custom made but first I am going to see if mine can be retrofitted with bearings or something. I am not a very patient person so I am hoping something exists that I can just buy outright. What have you got? :cheers:

If fly by wire is not an option immediately, who makes the slickest, most awesome smooth operating cables? Also, is there such a thing as a cable with a lubricating port on it because that would be a bonus I think.

Thanks in advance.

CRMERC
09-23-2012, 05:14 PM
In Control.

rev.ronnie
04-15-2013, 08:19 PM
I'll second In Control. I love mine.

Carter Powell
01-10-2014, 11:13 PM
In Control is the Mercedes of foot throttles. Their quality is fantastic and operation is butter smooth and quiet.

Carter Powell

jpf091959
01-13-2014, 11:34 PM
I have in-control with twin setup, one side binds and the other side is smooth. overall I like the foot pedal. I have had others, but the the in-control appears to have the most potential.

Long term I will fabricate a throttle by wire system. In the mean time I will re-design the way my in-control works. I don't like the pulley setup on the foot throttle and I don't like the compression spring at the motor, it binds unless the cable housing is perfectly aligned. I will re-rig it so the cable is a straight pull at the foot and incorporate a return spring at the motor that is more like a traditional throttle.

anyway my 2 cents.

Onetime
01-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Hands down "In-Control" is the best. Chances are if you're having trouble with one it's set up wrong.

Never seen any trouble with any of them and I've seen and dealt with alot of them.

Can't speak to the new "N-Control" ones.

Rich Owen
01-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Last 3 boats have had In-Control throttles and shifters cuz they're the best .

tux974
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
In-Control throttles and shifters cuz they're the best .

DITTO, that! Nothing like them!

Da Bull
08-10-2014, 10:57 AM
I`m on my third in-control with as many boats and i`m overall happy. However the one i have now keeps jumping the small wheels out of their track. It still works like that but it ain`t right. Not sure how to fix it but i`m thinking about new tracks with taller sides made from aluminum.

DB

Liberator*21
08-14-2014, 04:32 AM
Ok, I'm gotta speak up here only because I bought one for my boat (because of all the great talk about them), BUT...... wasn't very happy with it. First of all please understand, I'm an Retired Engineer who designed Jet Engine components for over 30 years at GE and looked at the In-Control throttle accordingly)...............

It uses nylon rollers from Home Depot for a kitchen drawer.....seriously !!!!!!, this is where I said "NO FREAK'N WAY !!!!!

So here's my take on the whole deal:

The engine end of the cable attachment link is comprised of 3 pieces that are epoxied together, that's a poor design, the spring housing is also made up of 2 pieces, brass and plastic that are pinched pricked together, no total containment of the rollers in case of something came loose causing a misalignment that would jam up the control, that's not what I'd call a great product for the $$$$$ they charge, certain aspects of the design are way overkill while others are surely lacking, although the concept is great, just comes up short. There's no total containment of the roller system for alignment or safety should anything ever come loose in the 2 pc linkage and the linkage allows the rollers to come out of their tracks.

I've decided to just make what I think would be a better product for less $$$$:

I've decided to make my own version of the foot throttle using better materials everywhere throughout its design and build using superior materials as "bearing grade" Delrin/Acetal rollers twice as wide as the kitchen drawer rollers they use, 1/4" stainless axles on the rollers instead of a #10 steel screw, pedal link to the rollers will be a billet one piece custom ball milled "I" beam design roller link, far more stable and provide perfect alignment all the time vs. their 2 rail cable clamping system. I wasn't impressed with the use of Home Depot 5/16 ID nylon washers on 1/4" screws, kinda cheap and sloppy. My one piece rail has a much more user friendly and positive cable retention system, instead of clamping the cable between the 2 piece linkage on theirs, mine provides a cable track cut into the linkage rod with 3 stainless retention screws. At the engine end, my spring housing is "ONE" piece unit custom machined and my engine cable control link is also "ONE" piece design. There is "NOTHING" in my design that will corrode or rust in a marine environment, they can't say that about theirs. I also use custom made Delrin washers throughout not the cheap Home Depot type over sized nylon washers theirs uses. Mine also offers 3 fully adjustable pedal positions that offer a custom fit angle for you foot based on how you sit in your boat. Working on the prototype now and should be offering these for sale this fall/winter.

I already have a few S&F members lined up for the first run of controls when they become available and have told them to go over my design with a very, very critical eye and post up truthfully on what they got for their money, which by the way will be "far less" than the In-Control units. I promise that you that you "WILL" get more/better for less money spent.

Stay tuned as custom tooling is currently being made, NC programming in progress, fixtures made, anodizing tanks built etc, etc...... May offer custom color anodizing for those looking for something to match their boats design (Bling-Bling). So if you want a smooth foot control of the highest design and build, hang onto your money a little longer as I'm ramping up to make these available before spring 2015 and the money you'll save will buy you a lot of fuel to start out the season.

It will happen and be offered right here on S&F. :D

aggiestckl
08-14-2014, 05:21 AM
Hahaha this is really funny.. I'm a pharmaceutical engineer and I guess I look at certain things a weird way myself.. I bought this because of all the hype and couldn't believe the kitchen drawer roller either.. I remember telling my dad this as we were looking at it..I got a stainless roller with bearing from an autoclave drawer on mine..Put me on the list if you've got something coming out better

Liberator*21
08-14-2014, 05:39 AM
Hahaha this is really funny.. I'm a pharmaceutical engineer and I guess I look at certain things a weird way myself.. I bought this because of all the hype and couldn't believe the kitchen drawer roller either.. I remember telling my dad this as we were looking at it..I got a stainless roller with bearing from an autoclave drawer on mine..Put me on the list if you've got something coming out better

:iagree: LMAO !!!!! :D! Sure glad someone else see's what I see, thanks for sharing your vision as well.

I'll keep you in the loop when I get ramped up. I guaranty you, mine will be far superior and cost effective to theirs........

R.grover
08-15-2014, 05:41 AM
When can we some pictures gary? ill put a deposit through now :D

Greg G
08-15-2014, 06:46 AM
Stay tuned as custom tooling is currently being made, NC programming in progress, fixtures made, anodizing tanks built etc, etc...... May offer custom color anodizing for those looking for something to match their boats design (Bling-Bling). So if you want a smooth foot control of the highest design and build, hang onto your money a little longer as I'm ramping up to make these available before spring 2015 and the money you'll save will buy you a lot of fuel to start out the season.

Anyone can build a foot throttle so I'm raising the bar on ya! For whatever reason the days of being able to get a dual use foot/hand "combo" throttle are gone. Land & Sea had a model back before I was born, In Control (before it shut down) when it was actually in Mass had one and the picture below is Wildmans install of it, and then there is a race vendor in Europe who claims to have one but never returns any requests for a price.

As the Eagles said, "take it to the limit" .............build the worlds best marine combo throttle AND design it to work with Merc, BRP and Yammy wackers. ;)

Liberator*21
08-15-2014, 08:06 AM
When can we some pictures gary? ill put a deposit through now :D

Sneak pics coming shortly Rick. No up front $$$ needed, your on the list. I'll be in touch when I start going into production mode, still got some loose end to finish on the Proto-type and get the Anodizing line set up.

Da Bull
08-19-2014, 02:18 AM
As i mentioned in my last post My little rollers fail alot. Now that i know what your up to please put me on the list to. BTW in the mean time i`m going to put my old Ray Nydhal foot feed in the boat. It works good but is going in my race boat when finished.

DB

Liberator*21
08-19-2014, 03:08 AM
As i mentioned in my last post My little rollers fail alot. Now that i know what your up to please put me on the list to. BTW in the mean time i`m going to put my old Ray Nydhal foot feed in the boat. It works good but is going in my race boat when finished.

DB

DB,
You are on the list my friend.
Everything on my control is hand made from raw stock, not store bought items (except for the hardware of course). The look is similar, but that's where the similarity ends.
I'll be in touch..........:D

Onetime
08-19-2014, 10:46 AM
Have to chime in here. Reading all this on "In Control" throttles really makes me wonder.

All of the hardware on "In Control" was stainless, the rollers were contained in a track, the rollers were a commercial buy out product but were not drawer slide rollers. All the assembly hardware utilized NyLock nuts minimizing potential loosening.

I've been running these in all my boats since 1987 and never had a roller fail, a cable break, throttle hang up or jam, or parts of the throttle loosen. Every problem I've ever seen or heard of were always related to improper set up and I've been around hundreds of these throttles and shifters.

Just wondering if all the problems some of you are talking about aren't related to the new rip off copies of the original design. Are you sure you don't have "N Control" products that are now being produced?

More power to you if come up with a new foot throttle and you feel it's a better design, better quality, and for less money. Almost sounds like a political campaign statement! Looking forward to seeing it. There could be a place for it in the market as it sounds like the new rip off ones aren't as good as the original.

I wish you the best of luck!

Greg G
08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Here is the original McCoy, In-Control Inc.

allstock
08-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Not to rain on the parade here, but if a foot was to be that "frictionless", like a car with drive-by-wire, am I the only one that feels that in rough water you couldn't keep the damn throttle in one spot...unless you are wide open? A little but of throttle friction is a good thing, no?

hydr0_scrm2
08-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Anxiously awaiting the finished product :cheers:

Da Bull
08-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Mr. Onetime, I can`t speak for the others or my roller material and it is the first failure out of three In-Control foot feeds i have owned. My only problem is that the wheels jump out of the track. They can be forced back in place but will jump out again. I think i can repair the track myself but for the amount i paid for it i`m a little dissipointed. Maybe the new manufactorer will remedy this on his product.

DB

jpf091959
08-22-2014, 05:07 PM
I agree, I redesigned my twin setup and it is now smooth as butter.

Ok, I'm gotta speak up here only because I bought one for my boat (because of all the great talk about them), BUT...... wasn't very happy with it. First of all please understand, I'm an Retired Engineer who designed Jet Engine components for over 30 years at GE and looked at the In-Control throttle accordingly)...............

It uses nylon rollers from Home Depot for a kitchen drawer.....seriously !!!!!!, this is where I said "NO FREAK'N WAY !!!!!

The engine end of the cable attachment link is comprised of 3 pieces that are epoxied together, that's a poor design, the spring housing is also made up of 2 pieces, brass and plastic that are pinched pricked together, no total containment of the rollers in case of something came loose causing a misalignment that would jam up the control, that's not what I'd call a great product for the $$$$$ they charge, certain aspects of the design are way overkill while others are surely lacking, although the concept is great, just comes up short. There's no total containment of the roller system for alignment or safety should anything ever come loose in the 2 pc linkage and the linkage allows the rollers to come out of their tracks.

I've decided to make my own version of the foot throttle using better materials everywhere throughout its design and build using superior materials as "bearing grade" Delrin/Acetal rollers twice as wide as the kitchen drawer rollers they use, 1/4" stainless axles on the rollers instead of a #10 steel screw, pedal link to the rollers will be a billet one piece custom ball milled "I" beam design roller link, far more stable and provide perfect alignment all the time vs. their 2 rail cable clamping system. I wasn't impressed with the use of Home Depot 5/16 ID nylon washers on 1/4" screws, kinda cheap and sloppy. My one piece rail has a much more user friendly and positive cable retention system, instead of clamping the cable between the 2 piece linkage on theirs, mine provides a cable track cut into the linkage rod with 3 stainless retention screws. At the engine end, my spring housing is "ONE" piece unit custom machined and my engine cable control link is also "ONE" piece design. There is "NOTHING" in my design that will corrode or rust in a marine environment, they can't say that about theirs. I also use custom made Delrin washers throughout not the cheap Home Depot type over sized nylon washers theirs uses. Mine also offers 3 fully adjustable pedal positions that offer a custom fit angle for you foot based on how you sit in your boat. Working on the prototype now and should be offering these for sale this fall/winter.

I already have a few S&F members lined up for the first run of controls when they become available and have told them to go over my design with a very, very critical eye and post up truthfully on what they got for their money, which by the way will be "far less" than the In-Control units. I promise that you that you "WILL" get more/better for less money spent.

RBT
08-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Would you consider a custom order for a dual use hand/foot?
I've tried contacting them too. No luck.

Onetime
08-22-2014, 11:06 PM
I agree, I redesigned my twin setup and it is now smooth as butter.

jpf091959 What ever happened with the props you were selling?

Liberator*21
08-23-2014, 05:23 AM
Mr. Onetime, I can`t speak for the others or my roller material and it is the first failure out of three In-Control foot feeds i have owned. My only problem is that the wheels jump out of the track. They can be forced back in place but will jump out again. I think i can repair the track myself but for the amount i paid for it i`m a little dissipointed. Maybe the new manufactorer will remedy this on his product.

DB

DB,
The original "IN-Control" manufacture was out of Mass. and I believe they're no longer in business, Diamond Marine now sells the "N-Control", their version. As I've said before, the design intent of the control is great, it just needs to be made a little better all around. The issue with the rollers coming out of the track on the N-Control has been dealt with on my model. The rollers are totally 100% captive in a track and can never come out of that track unless disassembled. The plastic washers used in the N-Control are nylon, while mine are 100% Delrin. Delrin is a high density plastic with superior wear characteristics and lubricity over nylon washers and my washers are properly sized for the diameter there on, i.e., 1/4" diameter axle uses a 1/4" ID washer, not like the N-Control that use oversized ID washers (5/16 ID washers on a 1/4" OD bolt) resulting in improper loading of the side surfaces that results in potential binding at times throughout the travel range. My rollers are almost 1/4" wide resulting in greater surface contact within the roller track for smooth and stable actuation and travel while maintaining alignment throughout.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/Foot%20Throttle/IMG_3995_zpsb82dec7c.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/Foot%20Throttle/IMG_3995_zpsb82dec7c.jpg.html)

I will be offering these controls over the fall/winter months as I'm not rushing to get these out for sale, they'll be available when I feel the quality, look and feel of this control meets my standards and hopefully yours as well.

I welcome all those that may purchase one (when available) to please post up and rate the control, good/bad/in different as that's how products are improved and made to the highest standards. I can test as much as possible but I can't cover all the bases like those who use the control because everyone who uses it may have a different situation that I can't test for, so bring it on when you get yours, looking forward to the user reviews.

Greg G
08-23-2014, 07:11 AM
I've tried contacting them too. No luck.

Interesting that you tried to contact Sjöberg Racing about there dual use hand/foot throttle. I have tried as well. I'm told that there unit is about 210 Euro or $280 without shipping. Not a bad price at all.<!-- / message -->

MODVP22
08-23-2014, 07:52 AM
Anything Gary does it top notch. You can rest assure that it will be the cat's meow when he's through with it

Liberator*21
08-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Anything Gary does it top notch. You can rest assure that it will be the cat's meow when he's through with it

Thanks Tom for the kind words, seems you know me oh to well......;). But you are right, I am a little anal on stuff I make and it's either 100% right or it goes in the scrap pile.

jpf091959
08-25-2014, 06:41 PM
I still have them, I really haven't tried to hard to sell them. I have a set of 28", I think I might hang onto the other sets.

Is Mercury still making the 225 2.5l?

jpf091959 What ever happened with the props you were selling?

Liberator*21
08-26-2014, 05:28 AM
I still have them, I really haven't tried to hard to sell them. I have a set of 28", I think I might hang onto the other sets.

Is Mercury still making the 225 2.5l?

Just say'n............Why don't you guy's move to PM's on your props instead of High Jacking this thread................:rolleyes:

Liberator*21
08-26-2014, 06:21 AM
As an added note to this thread, depending on timing and interest, thinking of offering a retrofit kit for existing owners of the "N-Control" foot throttles that would like to upgrade to a new captive roller track, rollers and linkage/roller arm. Would make for a great winter project, you'd send me your existing foot throttle and I'll upgrade it and return ship to you via priority mail, should be able to handle it all once received within a week. Let me know if there's any interest in this and I'll see if it's worth the time to pursue.
Thx.............:D

Greg G
08-26-2014, 07:56 AM
So would you build a dual use hand/foot?

Liberator*21
08-26-2014, 07:58 AM
No, single pedal control only. Trying to keep it simple for now.

Greg G
08-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Bummer, the original In-Control Mass dual use throttle was $949 + shipping.

Liberator*21
08-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Bummer, the original In-Control Mass dual use throttle was $949 + shipping.

May look at it in the future, but not on my to do list for now, sorry.

R.grover
09-01-2014, 02:16 AM
cant wait to get one gary :D

whipper
09-01-2014, 02:29 AM
The one in my Allison GS is a Hot foot buy T-H Marine and haven't touched it in the 9 of witch i've owned the boat. In there since 2000. looks tough and is tough. Very comfortable for all day use with bare feet.

Liberator*21
09-02-2014, 05:32 AM
I've always had a Hot Foot as well but the extreme spring pressure on that pedal is (IMHO) not the ideal condition. I've never been comfy with it on long runs, that's why I've decided to go this route, something more in the line of what your car throttle feels like.

2.5_stoker
09-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Subscribed...not in the position to buy right now but have been kicking the idea of an N-control around...I like my L&S throttle over the hotfoot..I had a nicson that pivoted in the middle of the peadal...that was a pretty nice throttle just didn't like the sponsor mount (I didn't like having to turn towards the middle of the boat to get my foot down in the center sponson)

1BadAction
09-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Just say'n............Why don't you guy's move to PM's on your props instead of High Jacking this thread................:rolleyes:

LMFAO! You hijacked this thread first, fair and square, right? http://i.imgur.com/qYQYWe5.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/qYQYWe5.gif

Liberator*21
09-02-2014, 01:06 PM
LMFAO! You hijacked this thread first, fair and square, right? http://i.imgur.com/qYQYWe5.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/qYQYWe5.gif

Don't really think I high jacked, stuck with the same topic didn't I, haven't tried to actually sell anything on this thread either. Once that changes I'll post up a new thread, other wise we're just talk'n foot throttles.

Onetime
09-02-2014, 03:10 PM

Well excuuuse me! That's what threads do, they move around. I agree with 1BadAction, didn't realize this thread was exclusively yours.

Liberator*21
09-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Well excuuuse me! That's what threads do, they move around. I agree with 1BadAction, didn't realize this thread was exclusively yours.

Theres always somebody who wants to stir the pot........:rolleyes: !!!!!

1BadAction
09-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Theres always somebody who wants to stir the pot........:rolleyes: !!!!!

Need to keep my spoonin arm in shape you know. :D ;)

Seriously though, keep us posted on yours, would be nice to get rid of the rattle trap hotfoot in my boat, especially if they had the same bolt pattern so I didn't need to re-drill and re-glass the inserts in my throttle mount.

hydr0_scrm2
09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Shaun (2.5_Stoker), I'll definitely let you know how this new foot throttle works. I've got one of the initial prototypes reserved and going into my boat when available.

As former GE guy, everything Gary touches is well-thought out and highly engineered. This new pedal will be no different.

Da Bull
09-02-2014, 10:30 PM
As an added note to this thread, depending on timing and interest, thinking of offering a retrofit kit for existing owners of the "N-Control" foot throttles that would like to upgrade to a new captive roller track, rollers and linkage/roller arm. Would make for a great winter project, you'd send me your existing foot throttle and I'll upgrade it and return ship to you via priority mail, should be able to handle it all once received within a week. Let me know if there's any interest in this and I'll see if it's worth the time to pursue.
Thx.............:D

Absolutly! I would do this in a heartbeat because of the fact that i paid retail for my In-Control peddal and really don`t want to simply throw it away. Your repair/modification idea is spot on.

DB

Liberator*21
09-16-2014, 04:48 AM
DB,

Since you were the one to post the question of repairing an existing N-CONTROL foot throttle, I'd like to offer you a "FREE" roller track repair of your current unit. All I ask is that you pay for shipping to and from, then honestly comment on it once it's returned to you and you've had a chance to use it again. If your interested PM me and we'll set something up.

Thx

Liberator*21
09-16-2014, 04:54 AM
Added note:

In reply to someone who ask if the floor mount hole pattern is or will be the same as a "Hot Foot Pedal", originally I said yes, but after a long and hard look at the design it I can't really justify the extra material or weight to do so, so I'm sorry to say no it won't be.

There is no need to have such a large base plate (floor mount) with my unit. The Hot Foot type floor pedals requires it due to the very large return spring thereby naturally forcing you to exert more forward foot pressure. This pressure is spread out over a larger floor contact area, i.e., larger floor base plate/hole pattern.

Da Bull
09-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks Gary. You have a pm.

DB

Liberator*21
09-17-2014, 04:11 AM
Thanks Gary. You have a pm.

DB

DB,
Got it, ship to address sent, thanks for allowing me the opportunity to repair your throttle........:D

Liberator*21
09-26-2014, 12:12 PM
First look at the N-CONTROL foot throttle rebuild. It's smooth, strong, will never jump out of its track, rollers are 100% larger, roller axle is 304 Stainless Steel. If interested in getting yours rebuilt, contact me.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/N%20CONTROL%20Proto%20Type/Rebuilt_zps0658e2ba.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/N%20CONTROL%20Proto%20Type/Rebuilt_zps0658e2ba.jpg.html)

Onetime
09-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Looks nice. Is that track a machined from solid billet?

Liberator*21
09-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Thx, track is extruded material to my specifications.

Onetime
09-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Extruded material made to your specs, I guess you're planning on making and modding a lot of these!
Is that a stainless cap on top of the extrusion?

Liberator*21
09-27-2014, 05:45 AM
Extruded material made to your specs, I guess you're planning on making and modding a lot of these!
Is that a stainless cap on top of the extrusion?

Yeah, having material extruded to custom spec's ain't cheap.....:eek:, but your correct in your assumption, I do plan on making/rebuilding quite a few as the price and quality are far superior to the other guy's product and I guarantee it for life, you break it, send it back and I'll send you a new one, nobody can match that claim. At the top is an aluminum cable mounting block as this control is top loaded. The only Stainless steel used is the hardware, i.e. screws, washers, nuts and hinge. All screws are socket head, not screwdriver types, makes for a much more impressive look and easier to tighten hardware. The prototype design is currently being tested and abused as we speak in 3 boats, the actual design (may) change a little but not by much if any depending on testing results, here's a sneak pic of the actual prototype that's under going testing:

Onetime
09-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Looks very nice. Best of luck with it. How much do expect them to sell for?

Liberator*21
09-27-2014, 12:46 PM
Under $300 + the trip.

jpf091959
09-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Hey, I like the fix.

I have a twin set up and one side worked well and the other would bind. So went the home engineering route.

I will show you how I modified mine. Works great, I can run the throttle with one finger.

I like the footpedal, but hated that whole cable pulley set up. I went old school. I took the peddle hinge assembly apart and inserted torsion springs at that the peddle. I cut a lever that gave me a better pull, while doing away with the pulley setup. I replaced the nylon roller with ABEC 11 roller blade bearings, they fit perfectly and are rebuild-able. I wish the original setup worked better.

I also through away the spring setup at the motor. I went old school back there as well. I installed a carburetor return spring back at the motor. There are a lot if places to mount from.

I also replaced the stock cable with a 33C. I love the whole set up.

I have plenty of adjustment with stops as well. I have been running it for almost two years and no issues at all.

Liberator*21
09-30-2014, 03:40 AM
That's a very impressive change out, looks great. Thanks for share'n. I had thought about the torsion spring too but decided to keep it simple as the torsion spring adds a little more complexity to the pedal and hinge, I'm try'n to keep cost down, but quality & reliability high and still be able to guarantee it for life.

jpf091959
09-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks, I believe my weak link is the bearing carrier and it looks like you have that figured out. I may have to order a pair from you.

I like what you are doing.

Bobbyclam
09-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Where do I sign up ?

Liberator*21
10-01-2014, 03:49 AM
Where do I sign up ?

I've got you covered when the release date comes,thanks for your interest, I'll be in-touch.

Liberator*21
10-01-2014, 03:50 AM
Thanks, I believe my weak link is the bearing carrier and it looks like you have that figured out. I may have to order a pair from you.

I like what you are doing.

Thank you, greatly appreciate your comments.

CRMERC
10-02-2014, 06:11 AM

I know Jim who made the in-control throttle and I can tell you he is far from a guy who takes short cuts. the first one I bought from him has got to be near 30 years old at this point and I still have it and it works fine.

bigboy
10-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Looks great.

How much does it weighs compared with a hot foot?

Thanks

Liberator*21
10-03-2014, 04:34 AM
CRMERC, (No disrespect met towards Jim), as I've stated in this thread before, the original concept/design on the IN-CONTROL foot throttle is beautiful "but" falls a little short of what I would consider a perfect unit. The Home Depot drawer rollers, and the open track are not the best idea and have caused problems for some users, foot pedal itself it too thick of material (wasted extra weight) for what it does and having to snake all that excess cable through the the pedal is not my idea of what it should be. I'll always say the intent & design were brilliant, but not totally fulfilling enough for me. So my bottom line is....

I'm building a better mouse trap !

Current Prototype being tested:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/Foot%20Throttle/Proto1_zpse289fa27.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/Foot%20Throttle/Proto1_zpse289fa27.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/Foot%20Throttle/Proto3_zpseff72ddf.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/Foot%20Throttle/Proto3_zpseff72ddf.jpg.html)

Liberator*21
10-03-2014, 05:52 AM
Hey Fred (fnsii (http://www.screamandfly.com/member.php?14207-fnsii)), I've replied to your PM, thanks for your interest.

Liberator*21
10-03-2014, 06:02 AM
Looks great.

How much does it weighs compared with a hot foot?

Thanks

bigboy,

My version weighs in at:
1.330 Kg/1330 g or 2 LB 15 OZ.
I did have the weight of a Hot Foot but can't locate it at this time (sorry) so I honestly can't quote you a value difference. If I locate it, I'll let you know.

patchesII
10-03-2014, 06:24 AM
A regular Hot Foot weighs just over 4 lbs

Liberator*21
10-03-2014, 06:50 AM
A regular Hot Foot weighs just over 4 lbs

Thank you......:-)

MODVP22
10-03-2014, 07:34 AM
CRMERC, (No disrespect met towards Jim), as I've stated in this thread before, the original concept/design on the IN-CONTROL foot throttle is beautiful "but" falls a little short of what I would consider a perfect unit. The Home Depot drawer rollers, and the open track are not the best idea and have caused problems for some users, foot pedal itself it too thick of material (wasted extra weight) for what it does and having to snake all that excess cable through the the pedal is not my idea of what it should be. I'll always say the intent & design were brilliant, but not totally fulfilling enough for me. So my bottom line is....

I'm building a better mouse trap !

Current Prototype being tested:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/Foot%20Throttle/Proto1_zpse289fa27.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/Foot%20Throttle/Proto1_zpse289fa27.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/Foot%20Throttle/Proto3_zpseff72ddf.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/Foot%20Throttle/Proto3_zpseff72ddf.jpg.html)

everyone is thinking it, so I'll say it.....polished to a high luster finish or powdercoated:cheers:

Liberator*21
10-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Tom, leave it to you to bring in the "BLING-BLING" factor........ Polish to a high shine is possible "BUT" would add to much to the cost as the labor to do so would go against what I'm trying to provide, a top quality piece of equipment guaranteed for life at a working mans price point. Now that doesn't mean you can't buy one bare and spend all winter on the buffer.....:p, you and I both know our winters are long and cold.....:D. Powder coating will be available, single colors or mixed.

MODVP22
10-03-2014, 09:14 AM
hey as long as Orange is one of those colors...BLING-on. LOL!

Liberator*21
10-03-2014, 11:32 AM
hey as long as Orange is one of those colors...BLING-on. LOL!

Orange is definitely a color choice available just for you......

fnsii
10-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Gary, good to hear from you sent you a response. Thanks
Fred.

Liberator*21
10-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Gary, good to hear from you sent you a response. Thanks
Fred.

Fred, Sent you a PM back on your retrofit cost.
$69 + $16 for Return Priority Insured 3 Day Mail.

M/Order
P/Pal ($71 + $16, (3% P/Pal fee)

aggiestckl
02-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Sooo can I buy one of these retrofit kits? Did this come off the ground?

RussF
02-14-2015, 08:11 PM
Gary I'd like to put on the list for this.........thanks

harrells
02-15-2015, 08:55 AM
Add me to the list also.

Liberator*21
02-15-2015, 06:40 PM
Sooo can I buy one of these retrofit kits? Did this come off the ground?

Sending you a PM.........

Liberator*21
02-16-2015, 04:59 AM
Add me to the list also.

Your on the list....:)

RussF
02-16-2015, 04:09 PM
I'd like to be put on the list also.....................

Liberator*21
02-16-2015, 04:37 PM
I'd like to be put on the list also.....................

Your on the list as well, thanks for your interest....:)

Bobbyclam
02-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Gary ,Don't forget bobby clam

dwilfong
03-02-2015, 08:34 PM
Any word on when theses will be ready?

Liberator*21
03-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Currently fighting with the anodizing company who decided to jack up the price from the original quote.....:icon_bs:. Also going through a few redesign changes (pedal cable control) based on the feed back received from the proto-types. Still on track for late spring (at the latest) for the first dozen going out, although those maybe non-anodized models if I can't get this company to agree on the anodizing price they quoted me, I guess me being the little guy, they can screw with me as I'm not providing them major revenue (1000's of parts).

RussF
03-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Currently fighting with the anodizing company who decided to jack up the price from the original quote.....:icon_bs:. Also going through a few redesign changes (pedal cable control) based on the feed back received from the proto-types. Still on track for late spring (at the latest) for the first dozen going out, although those maybe non-anodized models if I can't get this company to agree on the anodizing price they quoted me, I guess me being the little guy, they can screw with me as I'm not providing them major revenue (1000's of parts).
I'm still in.....................

Liberator*21
03-03-2015, 04:35 PM
I'll post up some pic's of the first one (bare aluminum) once most of the updates have been incorporated from the proto types, probably next week. Biggest improvement is in the cable routing on the control itself, pics will show that. No cable looping like the brand "X" does, it's as clean look'n as it gets.

powerabout
03-03-2015, 05:21 PM
will this do OMC as well?

Liberator*21
03-04-2015, 05:56 AM
will this do OMC as well?

Thanks for your interest...........
Absolutely, the key is having a cable at the foot control end that has a steel sleeve at 9.525 mm/.375 diameter as that's where the cable is retained in the foot control using a clamping force. On the motor end it's pretty generic. You'll probably be using a new (recommended) or your original cable, removing the solid core stainless wire from within, modifying the ends per the instructions (no special tools) and feed the new stainless cable into your old housing after you've installed the spring housing, spring, and throttle arm. After that it's pretty much a walk in the park to set idle and WOT, lock cable in place and go burn some gas(setting idle & WOT is much easier with a second person present).............:D. Total install time, about an hour and a half tops. This is a "PULL" throttle, you must have a pull configuration.

NOTE: I highly recommend the use of a new cable as your old cable is full of crap from all the years of service and may likely impede the smooth action provided by the foot throttle. On one proto type tested we even found a stock cable that some one had filled with grease/oil over the years trying to get it to operate smoother. He bought the boat used so he had no idea, you wouldn't believe the crap that came out of the cable when we ran gas through it with a fuel pump to flush it out, don't do this as it was only done to investigate/research the problem so we could understand the root cause, cable was not reused !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

dwilfong
03-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Don't need any anodizing on one. Do you have a target price on one plain aluminum?

Liberator*21
03-07-2015, 05:37 AM
Don't need any anodizing on one. Do you have a target price on one plain aluminum?

Under $300 + the trip.

RussF
03-07-2015, 06:21 AM
Under $300 + the trip.

sounds great

Liberator*21
03-07-2015, 07:09 AM
Not look'n to make a fortune, just providing the best control for a reasonable price. I thought I had a CNC machine lined up to do some of this work but that didn't pan out (to date), so it's all made by me here in my shop on manual equipment one part at a time. There maybe times where none are available due to this as I try to make parts in lots of 1 run yielding about a dozen parts then onto the next part. Worst part is deburring everything, eats allot of time up..........:(. Should be starting a new post on the Foot Throttle by months end in the PARTS FOR SALE section, detailed pics included. I'll post a link up here when that happens.:D

I stand behind what I make and sell that's why I support my product by stating:
Warrantied for life to the original purchaser, you break it, I'll replace it "FREE", shipping included !!!!! Nobody else supports a product like this............

dwilfong
03-09-2015, 03:04 PM
Sound good will be looking forward to it.

bucudanbp
03-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Nice Product. I'd like to be put on the list please.

MODVP22
03-22-2015, 09:52 PM
any new info on release date? Gary I don't wanna have to put this old one back in Colin's boat ;)

Liberator*21
03-23-2015, 04:47 AM
any new info on release date? Gary I don't wanna have to put this old one back in Colin's boat ;)

No worries Tom. Sent you a PM as well.

Liberator*21
03-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Many are asking what would come with the kit:

*Billet Foot Pedal throttle assembly
*25' of Stainless Braided Cable
*Motor end Return Spring Housing & Spring
*Throttle Rod and Stainless Thrust Washer

(see pic below as an example)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/Foot%20Throttle/EZ%20FOOT%20KIT_zps6rwmobik.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/Foot%20Throttle/EZ%20FOOT%20KIT_zps6rwmobik.jpg.html)

Bobbyclam
03-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Gary
looks ggggggreat can't wait !
kit is a good idea .
let me know when u want
me to send $$$$
bob

Liberator*21
04-02-2015, 11:03 AM
I keep getting ask if the bolt pattern on the mounting base can be the same as a Hot Foot. The answer is yes & no with additional costs and changes in pedal position (read on). Here are some pics the help you understand why, these are based on the pedal faces being equally aligned, it should help answer your questions.....

Base Bolt Pattern

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/7f201d6f-5142-46be-8c18-c6bfa34f3b64_zps3xpt5dhc.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/7f201d6f-5142-46be-8c18-c6bfa34f3b64_zps3xpt5dhc.jpg.html)

With pedal pivot points equal, you can see that the pedal would have to be moved way forward in order to attempt to duplicate the Hot Foot bolt pattern, that alone would be a comfort issue.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_4136_zpsqyw72vs6.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_4136_zpsqyw72vs6.jpg.html)

Front view look, with pedal faces equal, you can clearly see why it would be a problem to somehow add the Hot Foot bolt pattern and keep the peadal faces the same. Totally can be done but it'll cost allot extra and I'm trying to stay away from "EXTRA $$$$ COSTS". But if your willing to pay we can talk later as it will take an adapter plate with the Hot Foot B/Pattern that the EZ FOOT would bolt to, it's actually a DIY project you can handle yourself if needed. The Hot Foot B/Pattern will barely fit on the EZ FOOT base plate but at a cost of about 3 1/2 of forward pedal positioning.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_4135_zpsedctxfwo.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/IMG_4135_zpsedctxfwo.jpg.html)

One could make an adapter plate from 1/4" Alum. Plate with the EZ FOOT bolt pattern and H/FOOT bolt pattern as shown below. Adapter plate would bolt down first, then EZ FOOT would bolt onto the adapter plate. Obviously, new holes would be needed in the EZ FOOT base plate (as noted below).

Example;
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/New_1_zpsp8rnvolr.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/New_1_zpsp8rnvolr.jpg.html)

Liberator*21
04-08-2015, 06:06 AM
Probably my last update before I start a new thread in the "PARTS FOR SALE SECTION". I'm working with a local powder coating vendor right now about a total powder coating of the EZ FOOT. The difficulty is in the linkage arm holes, they will not powder easy because you'd have to hit them from both sides at approx. 4 angles, (90, 90, 90 & 90) and the powder build up on the square surfaces would be very thick presenting clearance issues of some components while trying to get the holes 100% powdered. We're experimenting right now on different ways to possibly do it, if we succeed, the offering to powder the "ENTIRE" pedal will become available.

As it stands right now, the pedal itself can be powdered $10, (if we succeed....) the entire pedal assy can be custom color coated for $40, certain custom colors maybe higher. Wait/delivery times will also increase due to full powder coating. I'm trying to offer you everything you might want in a custom pedal, but if it's not gonna be totally right, it's not gonna happen.

Liberator*21
04-10-2015, 04:32 AM
All those on the "I'M INTERESTED or I WANT ONE LIST" have a PM waiting for them. Assembling this weekend. shipping next week....:cheers:.

Thanks everybody:)

Liberator*21
04-10-2015, 05:29 PM

Tom,
Colin's EZ FOOT KIT, S/N0001 is shipping tomorrow (Bitch'n Satin Black Pedal, looks great :reddevil:).

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/S_N%200001_zpso9eiaasf.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/S_N%200001_zpso9eiaasf.jpg.html)

MODVP22
04-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Tom,
Colin's EZ FOOT KIT, S/N0001 is shipping tomorrow (Bitch'n Satin Black Pedal, looks great :reddevil:).

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/S_N%200001_zpso9eiaasf.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/S_N%200001_zpso9eiaasf.jpg.html)

that's puuuuurrrrrrddddyyy

Liberator*21
04-11-2015, 07:21 AM
As it stands right now, all those that were on the list, shipping will be honored @ $10, the actual shipping is $15, so going forward $295 + $15 to ship (my mistake :o).

I made a mistake and guessed at the shipping cost, my bad, sorry for the error.

Liberator*21
04-13-2015, 05:33 AM
I'd greatly appreciate from those who purchased my control to post up some feedback on the new thread listed below.........good-bad-or in-different, their all welcome and only make for a better product.
Thank you all again for your interest and support....:cheers:

Ok guy's I've moved to a "MISC PARTS" page/thread, click link below:

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?306020-EZ-FOOT-the-best-in-class-Working-Man-s-Foot-Throttle&p=2746031#post2746031 (http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?306020-EZ-FOOT-the-best-in-class-Working-Man-s-Foot-Throttle&p=2746031#post2746031)

Liberator*21
04-16-2015, 05:57 AM
sounds great

Yours has shipped.....enjoy :)

Liberator*21
04-16-2015, 06:00 AM
Add me to the list also.

Scott, your control shipped this morning, thank you....:)

MODVP22
04-16-2015, 09:31 PM
that's puuuuurrrrrrddddyyy

It arrived and Colin brought it over last night. Oh man, that thing is NICE! I can't wait to do the install, and get it going. I really like the hard plastic heal piece.

Liberator*21
04-17-2015, 04:05 AM
Thanks Tom, I thought you'd like it. Trust me you and Colin will be amazed at how great a foot pedal can feel.....:D. Please provide feedback upon install and after as there maybe room for improvement and I'm always open to user suggestions.

RussF
04-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Gary I received mine today ...looks great now for the install next............thanks

Liberator*21
04-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Gary I received mine today ...looks great now for the install next............thanks

I'm glad your pleased with it, thank you....:)

Liberator*21
04-18-2015, 04:41 AM
My "HOT FOOT to EZ FOOT" adapter plate so you don't have to drill new holes in your boat, here's my HYDRO DYNAMICS HOT FOOT to EZ FOOT adapter to keep you foot in the exact same location after the swap:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/Adapter20Plate202_zpsdwsluze3.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/Adapter20Plate202_zpsdwsluze3.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/1-Junk%20Pics/Adapter20Plate201_zps4qioo80o.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/1-Junk%20Pics/Adapter20Plate201_zps4qioo80o.jpg.html)

Liberator*21
04-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Please note, I only do retrofits on N-Control models "W/OUT" the external spring attached to the roller system. Those are way to time consuming to correct and maintain the original spring set up. Thought I'd share a customers N-Control Retrofit, these are the only models I retrofit:

From/To:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/N-CONTROL%20Retrofit/IMG_2473_zpszpvs0hni.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/N-CONTROL%20Retrofit/IMG_2473_zpszpvs0hni.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/N-CONTROL%20Retrofit/11dfb9b8-d751-456c-b507-71258ac677db_zpshbldh8vq.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/N-CONTROL%20Retrofit/11dfb9b8-d751-456c-b507-71258ac677db_zpshbldh8vq.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/N-CONTROL%20Retrofit/IMG_4157_zps1u9bcrvb.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/N-CONTROL%20Retrofit/IMG_4157_zps1u9bcrvb.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/90profx/N-CONTROL%20Retrofit/IMG_4158_zpsixrdp2hr.jpg~original (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/90profx/media/N-CONTROL%20Retrofit/IMG_4158_zpsixrdp2hr.jpg.html)

Carter Powell
08-14-2015, 04:16 PM
I was wondering if the hand throttle portion of the original In Control system was still available. I have that in my boat and it is great.
Many thanks, Carter Powell

Liberator*21
08-14-2015, 04:21 PM
I was wondering if the hand throttle portion of the original In Control system was still available. I have that in my boat and it is great.
Many thanks, Carter Powell

Carter, I'm not gonna be of any help on that question, but I seriously doubt it as I've never seen it advertised anywhere.

Carter Powell
08-14-2015, 11:41 PM
Gary:
If I sent you the parts off of mine do you think that you might be able to fabricate another one for me.

Best wishes, Carter

Greg G
08-15-2015, 07:01 AM
Carter, I believe you have the dual use "hand and foot" throttle combo that In-Control Mass offered for a while? Way before that I think Land and Sea offered a similar dual use but not nearly the same quality. You are lucky to have one, you don't see many out there. If Gary can't fab those parts for ya, you might pm Wildman as I believe he installed a couple of those units on his boats and might have some info and leads for you. If not there is a supplier that offers a dual use unit that I have to dig up.

Greg G
08-15-2015, 07:04 AM
You might also start a specific thread to find folks who have them. "Wanted - Hand+Foot Dual Throttle Users" lol. Those folks are out there :thumbsup:

Liberator*21
08-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Gary:
If I sent you the parts off of mine do you think that you might be able to fabricate another one for me.

Best wishes, Carter

Carter,

Greg mentioned a good "PLAN B"..............

Please email me some pics of what'cha got and include some detailed info as to what you need and let me take a look at it. Send to EZFOOTTHROTTLE@gmail.com

Regards,
Gary

4fiddyR
07-01-2020, 02:13 PM
I just wanted to update that I got one of Gary's foot controllers and it is going strong, looks great and works perfectly.

Liberator*21
07-01-2020, 03:32 PM
I just wanted to update that I got one of Gary's foot controllers and it is going strong, looks great and works perfectly.

Thank you so much for your kind words (:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:) and I'm happy that your happy with my EZ FOOT control.
Have a great and safe 4th holiday weekend.

CharlieN
05-19-2021, 01:50 PM
A bit late here to this thread, I run what I consider a rather simple throttle in my boat. Simply a pedal from a car with a machined extension for the original cable that went to the hand quadrant.
One thing I like about this is nothing sharp since I am barefoot a bit.
487223 487224