PDA

View Full Version : water logged foam

Barefoot Bob
12-20-2002, 10:59 PM
Just for kicks, after I got the boat back from having the gel coat re-done, I desided to get rid of the foam. And look what I found!!!!!

Barefoot Bob
12-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Looks like alot of water logged foam, and water still in the bottom.

Barefoot Bob
12-20-2002, 11:03 PM
The boat hasnt been in water for one month. Just makes me wonder how much water weight is in there in summer. I removed all the foam on the port side of the boat. I had a total weight of 45 pounds of foam,that side alone. The starboard side gets done tomorrrow. Looks like 80 MPH is just aroungd the corner:D

machinist
12-20-2002, 11:33 PM
Bob my sunsport is the same year as your boat, im wondering
how much frozen foam ive got in the back of mine right now.
Im gonna have to dig into it and see.

Barefoot Bob
12-20-2002, 11:49 PM
This side was the good side..So I thought. The wood is rotton on the starboard side. Water comes over the back once in a while when skiing. Well, the starboard side had a little pocket where water could sit on top of the foam. It eventually rotted the wood on that side. So, that side gets ripped into tomorrow. I am sure it will be heavier than this side was.

175checkmate
12-21-2002, 05:00 PM
Oh yea, diggin the foam. Man I would like to talk to the guy that desided to use that stuff.
I mean really, Put there to keep the boat afloat. If you get that much water in it, your screwed. If it goes to the bottom...your screwed. So eather way your....you guess it, screwed.

Keep us posted bob, yep, all the weight removed, your going to go faster.

Barefoot Bob
12-21-2002, 05:08 PM
I was surprised to find less water in the starboard side. Although it could get out over there cause the wood that held it in place was rotton.

But I bet over the years it was pretty heavy before it did rot.

Barefoot Bob
12-21-2002, 05:10 PM
Removed 35 pounds on the starboard side. So I had a total of 80 pounds total weight removed.

gaineso
12-21-2002, 07:50 PM
Definitely going to have to check the foam in my boat. If I can get 80 pounds out, 60 is real close. Except I need to lose the weight in the bow, not back in the stern.

bulldogdaddy
12-22-2002, 07:27 AM
well thats more weight than i could lose in a year,lmao. but just a tip from a guy who has had experiance with this stuff. they use this same foam for commercial roofs! they spray the living crap out of the roof and keep building up areas to shed water toward the drain of gutter. then when their done the PAINT a waterproofing paint on it. if someone goes up to repair a a/c unit and drops a screwdriver on it you have a hole. we tore of a roof on a post office and in one corner of it it was 3 feet ,not inches deep. now if you,ve been tearing out the foam in your boat you can imagine what the process is like on a roof.no fun. but if you do want foam in your boat i can suggest the best waterproofing material to put over it.

Barefoot Bob
12-22-2002, 09:48 AM
There is a roof like that on the front side of my shop. It must not have been all that great cause it has a tin roof over the top of it now.

bulldogdaddy
12-24-2002, 01:56 PM
you gonna take some pics of the area we talked about so i can see exactly where your removing the foam from?

Barefoot Bob
12-24-2002, 04:23 PM
I called the place that did the transom and clear coat. He said I need to glass in some new plywood and then replace the foam. I was going to ask for some opinions here. I think I may have come up with a real cool way the re-foam with an air gap under so it can drain.

If I dont put the foam back in, and one of my live well pump going through the transom desides to clack or break off. I could be in for a real bad time. Also, if I would get caught in a storm like I did a few years back, where I accually stuffed the nose 3 times. I could be going down and never find the boat again.

Do you have any ideas on a way to back an air gap....I do but I want more input

bulldogdaddy
12-24-2002, 05:18 PM
hey bob,if you really want to put foam back in you could come to baltimore!have a polyureathane foam machine at work.plus a way to make an airgap is to get some cardboard cut to the size you want,then put some poly on the side that the foam is going to be. duct tape it in place with 2 holes in it. one hole for where you put the foam in,the other is for release. but be careful,the foam expands like crazy. plus if your not busy later tonight,i'll give ya a call.bob. p.s. thank you for the christmas card!:D

Barefoot Bob
12-24-2002, 06:24 PM
You are welcome for the card. As for later tonight tonight,we are having Christmas with the family. I will be home all day tomorrow.

bulldogdaddy
12-24-2002, 09:54 PM
well tell everyone we said merry christmas,it's snowing here! well we have a white christmas after all.call you tomorrow

baddjonny
12-25-2002, 11:47 AM
Make sure you always check it ALL the way to the bottom as I had the same problem as bob it looks dry on top but the bottom is soaked chopped the foam out of my 88 starflite this past summer.

another wetfoam checkmate owner

baddjonny

Barefoot Bob
02-19-2003, 09:23 AM
this is a picture of the port side

Barefoot Bob
02-19-2003, 09:25 AM
and screening on top of that before the foam will be put in on top

Barefoot Bob
02-19-2003, 09:30 AM
It will be plugged. But any water that might get on top of the foam will end up on the bottom, will then be drained through the drain hole over winter.

sho305
02-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Great job Bob!! I have some boxes in the back of the 'liner, and I bet they have foam in them...no drains....:eek: Could be weight in there hindering my 40mph top speed:eek: I'm gonna look when I strap a jack on it:) Has to be worth more $$$ if it goes faster right??

Jason Huber
02-19-2003, 10:22 AM
...ON FOAM!! Hey Bob - that's lookin' GOOD! :D You know, they make that egg-crate in a chrome finish too...;)

Barefoot Bob
02-19-2003, 10:28 AM
sho305.... Its gotta be worth more if it goes faster...LOL

Jason....Chrome:confused: I new I should have looked around a bit more:D That Gary really cracks me up. I cant wait till we get together this summer. Did you see what he wrote about his cute girlfriends in that truck post...LMAO:D :D :D

Cp
02-19-2003, 10:35 AM
One note though: I thought you pretty much had that sucker dialed in last fall? Now ya gonna have to rework the setup to handle the 'light' boat! More fun and games. More props. More testing. More money. More fun!! :)

Cp

Barefoot Bob
02-19-2003, 10:56 AM
It should be a wild ride the first time out. I am going to remove the windshield and see what she will do. I did that once when I had the 175 Rude on it and it gained alot of speed. We need to meet up sometime soon.

Well im off to hang the motor.

bulldogdaddy
02-19-2003, 05:50 PM
that looks great!almost looks like you put lights in them in the one pic:D now what goes on top of the eeg-crate? i take it that is the drainage board.

Barefoot Bob
02-19-2003, 08:05 PM
In the one pic you can ginda see the fiberglass screening laying on top of the egg crating. The foam will not penatrate the screen, so there will be an air space below the foam. This will alow any water that might just happen to get on the foam, to drain away. I dont think water is going to get there anymore though. I know how it got there before and thats not going to happen again;)

I have the motor hung on the back now. And wouldnt ya know, one of the dam stainless bolts through the transom burred over when it was almost tight. I had to lay down in the bilge area with a wizzer wheel and cut the darn head off:mad:

bulldogdaddy
02-19-2003, 09:48 PM
you should have just grinded a 45 deg. on the bolt.woulda worked.mmm kinda starting to sound like a knuckel busting probe tranny?lol:D

Barefoot Bob
02-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Dont bring up that Probe again.....LOL I saw a kid driving one the other day. He was smiling from ear to ear as he drove his hot car down the street. I just smiled to myself and shook my head:rolleyes:

sho305
02-19-2003, 11:10 PM
Bought a Probe at an auction with a blown tranny. Took to garage and had auto tranny removed. Took tranny in for core at boneyard and got another one. Had them put it back in. Got it back and fluid was leaking bad. Jacked it up and found the axle seal was smashed. Pulled axle(halfshaft) and end was all beat with a hammer!! Went and had a loud talk with the garage. Garage paid for another axle and seal, and I slipped it in there. Sold it real fast and made a couple bucks. The guy tried to hammer it in without lining up the splines right:rolleyes: What idiots! Surprised it did not trash the diff.

Barefoot Bob
02-19-2003, 11:22 PM
in sheer anger just letting off steam:D :D :D I had bloody nuckles doing the one I did.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My New Machanic came from a Ford Dealership and he said they wont even work on them if they dont have to. Its a good thing you moved it along and made some cash;)

sho305
02-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Yeah! Think I paid him $300 to R&R the tranny. The halfshaft was pretty easy to do. It was a nice car too, had the 3.0 V6, trip comp, all power everything, and nice red color. About 5 yrs ago.

Now, I need to pull the 5 speed out of my Laser AWD....a mitsubishi under the paint. The tranny is tiny though, so it should not be that bad. Replacing the head and turbo was not so bad. One thing about the small cars is that nothing is very far away:) I could barely reach the wiper arm in this F150 to take it off and I'm over 6'. I have to climb up on the motor to get at anything on my diesel:rolleyes: And it needs some glow plugs now...

bulldogdaddy
02-20-2003, 09:22 PM
glad to see your keeping busy! i hate to even check the oil in our fords.always gotta climb up on the bumper

Barefoot Bob
02-20-2003, 09:37 PM
You know, I have the coolest thing for working on trucks. It has different height's for different trucks. It has a step that you stand on and a flat padded platfom that you lay on.The platfofm starts at the grill of the truck. Goes over thre radiator and ends at the air cleaner. It really makes it nice to work on any size truck:)

Well the motor is hung and all wired on my boat. All ready for some open water to try out. Where is some open water:confused: We had 55 degrees today and I got the ich to go boating:D

sho305
02-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Bob, now ya tell me:rolleyes: I try to not work on them much! Have all the sheetmetal on it now, so just detail stuff like where am I going to paint the thing....??

Got to 44 here today, but they say snow this weekend and cold next week. Just a teaser! No water over here, even the river was all ice a couple days ago when I was over there.:rolleyes:

Barefoot Bob
02-20-2003, 10:09 PM
But I would never put my boat on it again. I have before and the black line you get on the side, and on the trailer, isnt worth the trouble. There is water on top of the ice on the river now. Its suppose to get cold again here also.

sho305
02-20-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm a few minutes from the Grand river here but only was on a boat there once. My boss had us help him setup and test a slalom course.

I bet you are glad to have the boat done! I saw the cool grills you put in there. Nice job.

That dirty water. Lake Michigan is that way too. You have to wipe it down right away, but it seems to be where you go in/out the channel that is nasty. I can leave my boat in our lake for three weeks and it is clean when I pull it. I had a boat with a zip up cover that might have been in there longer even. Only boat I ever cleaned up there was father inlaws that sat in the water all summer. Had a little green stuff on it you could still see thru. The covers I have on my boats now don't work in the water, trying to come up with a good solution for that yet.:)

Barefoot Bob
02-20-2003, 10:47 PM
where I can keep it in for a week without having a scum line down the side.

Did you see the Boat Joke I posted tonight? It is real funny:D

sho305
02-20-2003, 10:55 PM
Yes, that was a great joke! Glad they tossed that idiot on the GW post too...that was a joke too, just not as funny. There is a time when it gets hot in the summer and the lake turns over or something and if you leave it in for more than the weekend it will get a line of gunk. This lake has a in&out creek and springs, and not much use so it is pretty clean. Kinda muddy bottom in some places though. I want to make a lift of some sort, not got that far yet.;)

Barefoot Bob
02-20-2003, 11:05 PM
What idiot got tossed on what GW post?