PDA

View Full Version : knytex question(att. jacob)

patchesII
12-20-2002, 07:38 AM
if i use knytex for the replacement of the transom and stringers in my laser is this the only material i'll be using or do i combine it with mat or something. remember shooting for a strong lightweight layup. would like to speak to somebody that has experience in this. a phone number would be really appreciated. thank you, erik kiser e-mail is erikkiser@hotmail.com

Vicious
12-29-2002, 10:10 PM
I build all my boats out of knytex depending on what style you use depends on if you need mat if I where you I would use 1708 bi-axle it has mat sewen wright to the cloth. If you have any questions call me! Sparky at 586 598-4077 or E-mail me at www.viciouspowerboats.com or olsen@futnet.net Later Spark.

Jacob
12-30-2002, 07:29 PM
Sorry i haven't got back to you I've beeen in Louisiana partying for the holidays. If you plan on replacing the complete transom I would laminate 3 pieces of plywood together with mat between the layers, I usaully lay a few bags of Quickcrete (cement) on top of the last layer to compress them. cover the outsides with matt also. when joining the transom to the hull i would first lay mat to completly seal all openings I would use at least one layer of knitex on top of the matt when jointing it to the hull and place two layers in the higher stressed areas. I'm off to Dallas tomm. to watch the Tigers spank Texas in the Cotton bowl. Here is my ph # 8322824401 I answer it most of the time. I would be glad to answer any questions, lend advice, or just bull****. Goodluck

Jacob
01-02-2003, 08:43 PM
if you only plan on coring your transom and replacing the wood I would only use matt and resin. Good luck on getting the wood out if your taking this route.

Liqui-Fly
01-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Mat isn't enough for outboard transoms. You have to have cloth. Whenever bonding old to new use an extra layer or two of mat. The Kyntex has enough mat on it for general bonding. Core bonding should always have mat between the cloth face and core surface.

mat = adhesion cloth = strength
David

racer
01-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Do not use cloth between the layers of wood use mat to bond them together. The kyntex is after the transom is bonded in.

FCnLa
01-04-2003, 03:27 PM
Well, on my transom has only mat used to bond the layers of wood together, bond wood to the transom and tie the inside of the transom to the hull and stringers.......:confused:

The board height is less than 15" tall, yet it supports a 396# 235 Evinrude. Not only static support, but under a load too!!!!!! It has been there since I redid it over 6 years ago!!!

But don't listen to me, it will not hold up!

But then, polyester will not stick to wood either! LOL:rolleyes:

Whatever!!!!

Jacob
01-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Everyone underestimates the strength of the Mat & resin combination. They think knitex is such a strong product because of the bidirectional fibers. Don't get me wrong I firmly belive in knitex but I know how strong mat alone is. when you lay out mat, you get omnidirectional strength which is easy to lay in difficult areas. replacing a transom you would not use any knitex to join the tronsom core together. Knitex is more effective in angled or flat (hull\cap) areas where you would like strength without the weight. I would not try to use knitex on this project, keep it simple and strong MAT.

Liqui-Fly
01-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Wouldn't mat be omnidirectional? How much mat are you talking about using? Weights and layers?

David

Jacob
01-06-2003, 08:50 PM
your right David omnidirectional is the correct term. It's been a long week. I would use 1 1/2 oz. mat in the transom for extra strength. as far as layers go I would lay it on until it covered the complete transom core. I believe the last transom we done we only had to use one layer between each sheet of wood.

patchesII
01-06-2003, 09:21 PM
been working on the project. i used 2 layers of mat in between each of the the three pieces of plywood that forms the actual transom plate. this is then bonded to the hull using two more layers. the knee braces were glassed in using one layer where they stuck to the stringers and then two layers glassing to the floor area. the knee braces were glassed to the the transom plate using a combination of mat, woven roven and knytex. i don't know if all that is technically sound but it's in there now. plus my transom has a butt load of braces. thanks again, erik kiser here's a hooked on phonics drawing of the transom. the braces are in red. there are the two main knee braces, then two smaller ones that come up from the top of the tunnels and tie in two the horizontal braces that span the back of the boat. this horizontal brace ties into the main knees. there is also a small knee brace right in the center of the transom plate that hooks to the same horizontal brace. everything is covered in at least two layers of mat. if it breaks, oh well, screw it

patchesII
01-06-2003, 10:02 PM
finger painting for adults

Liqui-Fly
01-07-2003, 08:55 AM
Layup sounds super tough and the drawing isn't bad either. Bounce that motor around and see what happens.

David

trbocharge
01-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Set up my old ltv mod-vp race boat back in the 80's with a similar repair configuration.............never had a problem

Jacob
01-08-2003, 10:48 AM
sounds like you figured it out patches. good luck with it