PDA

View Full Version : Hey CP...tach setting...

Delta
04-23-2001, 11:54 PM
Hey CP:
My guage is a Medallion.It was put on the boat in 1987(Vegas XT).0-8000.My tach seems to read fine,and the selector is set to "1".
Any ideas?(To other readers,CP said for Pyro to set his guage to "4".)

Does anyone know what the numbers stand for?
I think it has to do with the type of motor(2 or 4 cycle)but I don't get it!
Thanks,Delta (Junior member)

Ray Neudecker
04-24-2001, 08:46 AM
It has to do with the number of poles on the alternator. You have to have a chart to convert from number of poles to correct position.I couldn't find mine, so i really am not much help.Bad case of the can't remembers on this item, but most dealers have a chart that will give you this information.

Cp
04-24-2001, 12:31 PM
...I just looked at the Medallion that I pulled from my Promax machine (it was working, just replaced it with a 10K Merc Hi-Perf model). And it was set on 4. Figured this must be the right setting. Sorry if I mis-lead anyone. Cp

04-24-2001, 02:33 PM
There has to be a way. Mine has got to be messed up to be giving me the numbers it's reading. Maybe later this week I'll try another setting, maybe 1 or 4. It would be great if someone knew for sure what the setting should be for my '89 200 XRi, or at least what the hell the numbers mean. Hey Delta, which motor? Thanks for the help, everyone who has jumped in on this one. -Chad

[Edited by pyro on 04-24-2001 at 02:37 PM]

Delta
04-24-2001, 10:56 PM
Hey Chad:
I hope I didn't sound like I was attacking or anything...just trying to figger out what the deal is!
Pyro:
The boat had a 220 xri when I bought it.I'm running a 200 Mariner carbed now.The 220 was an 88 or 89? The Mariner is an '87.The Mariner shows the same rpms on the tach of the Vegas as it did on my old boat. Delta

Delta
04-24-2001, 11:10 PM
I just broke out my Seloc manual.It says to set an adjustable tach to "4",like Chad said.On another diagram on the same page,it says to set it to "4" or "Alt".
Not tryin' ta kunfuze ya'll...it's just my nature!
Delta

Cp
04-24-2001, 11:40 PM
.....you gonna change yours? mebbe you'll go faster!?!?!?

anything worth a try, no amigo? (appologies to FIP's)

Cp

[Edited by Cp on 04-25-2001 at 07:32 AM]

Delta
04-24-2001, 11:56 PM
Oops.Please substitute the name "CP" for the name "Chad" in above posts!
Hey CP...I thought about that!
I've been wondering how to get some more r's outta thing for awhile now!I think I'll go into business:"Increase your RPM's for only 99.95.A free G-Force tuner autographed by Raceman with every order."! Thanks,Delta

04-25-2001, 09:26 AM
I'll try it on the "4" setting this weekend. There's a guy on my lake that drives a big bass boat with a Johnson Venom 225. He thinks he's hot stuff. When I had my Baja, I wouldn't race him, because I was sure he could see 70 mph, but now that I got a real boat, things are gonna change. I'm going to smoke him the next time he's out on the lake, soon, hopefully. I'm king of the Loch, now! hehehehe... -Chad