PDA

View Full Version : best paint?

spanky2002
12-17-2002, 02:29 AM
ok the repair is done. what is the best kind of paint to use and will it come in quart size cans. i heard of awlgrip earlier in another thread. is this a marine paint and where can i find it?

vector mike
12-17-2002, 04:14 PM
If you are only going to use one color. If you are going to do a multicolor paint job then any high quality automotive paint will work as long as you don't leave it in the water for more than a week at a time. AwlGrip can be purchased at any good automotive paint store. I'm doing a yellow metal flake paint job on my Vector and am using Chroma Base paint and clear coats. :)

Reese
12-17-2002, 07:17 PM
Just currious...what is the chroma clear running per gallon?

I'm hoping to paint my rig this spring and was thinking about using the PPG base/clear...it's about $200 for the clear.

My only concern is that some friends of mine have had trouble with the PPG stuff and are recommending the Dupont.

airide18
12-17-2002, 07:19 PM
Id use PPG polyurathane,sprays awsome!!!!I prefer it over imron.

vector mike
12-18-2002, 04:18 PM
I didn't ask the price of the clear because I was sticker shocked when they told me that the paint was $265 a gallon. I'm looking for an alternative right now but if I can't find one I'll be spending the money. :(

A.Acosta
12-22-2002, 11:00 AM
PPG

dan
02-05-2003, 07:15 PM
We paint cars in a standard low tech side draft booth. After using PPG Concept clear for awhile, we have been using Trans Star for the last year and a half. Trans Star is a newer company started by Sikkens chemical engineers. Their newest clear Euro has been out a couple of weeks. Its over 50% solids, crystal clear and non-yellowing. It sprays easily, is difficult to run, and smooths out like glass if reduced by 20-25%. 16 hour cure to wet sand and buff. Their tri-cut is a one step compound after 2000 grit wet sand. 2 to 1 clear and hardener to make two gallons and a gallon of reducer just cost me $170. This stuff makes the job worth it. Dan.