PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know how many Allison tunnels were made?

Raceman
12-16-2002, 08:57 PM
I've got a lead on one now and the owner says there were only 4. I always thought there were more.

gemini
12-16-2002, 09:23 PM
Well.... there were several versions over the years and since he had the molds some late 60's designs were still built to order in the early 70's. I think the one that changed hands recently in Fla. fell into that catagory. By 1972 the wood tunnels were hard to beat and not many glass tunnels were built then. I have a late 60's Allison tunnel that need restoration. It looks like a conventional closed bow tunnel with Allison sides. Most models had lots of lift and rocker pads because of low HP motors. As the motors grew these boats were easy to blow over. The models with the movable flap and rear wing are the most desirable. I bet he only built 35 or so of all models over 4+ years. Image attached is like my boat.

Ray Neudecker
12-16-2002, 09:31 PM
The exotic ones with the movable wings were run in the unlimited classes, where the version in the picture was a sport J or S 100 boat. I remember a lot more of the first, but there was a high rate of destruction of them. Burt Ross was one of the drivers of the winged version. Harold Bateman raced one of the Sport J versions. Darrus still has one of them.

Raceman
12-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Louis, how long have you had your Allison tunnel?

Backfire
12-16-2002, 10:47 PM
I bought Burt Ross's boat in Aug. '71 when Johnson split Florida in two and added a rep. I took over his Ky, Ind, Ohio, WV area and never did rig it before I got an offer I couldn't turn down. I wasn't too thrilled with the accident rate anyway.
Backfire ;)

gemini
12-16-2002, 11:58 PM
I got mine from Daris , he didn't want to restore it. I actually have video of the exact boat running at a Memphis race with Johnson Stinger power. I didn't realize that when I bought it. I also have a video of a Somerset ,Ky.race (1969/70) with several Allison tunnels and the first T-1 driven by Kenny Kitson(on one of his boats ) Art Kennedy was driving a Mc Call knee rider I think.

Jeff_G
12-17-2002, 09:10 AM
There is or was one in Fla. I have been chasing for years. It had a 1250 stacker on it and a light mounted on the top of the rear wing. I asked him what it was for and he said an anti collision light and if the boat sank they could find it. Funny since he never drove it. If anyone finds a boat like this with the light let me know and I can give up my search.

2us70
12-18-2002, 07:23 PM
The boat that you were talking about in Fla. was owned by Bob & Billie sue Boalick. Billie Sue wrecked it big time at the marine stadium and I don't recall if it was ever repaired.

Jeff_G
12-19-2002, 10:51 AM
When was this. The boat I am thinking about the guy had to have died before he got rid of it.