PDA

View Full Version : Joe Burgess picture

Backfire
12-15-2002, 11:10 PM
Not a good picture of Joe but all I've got so far. Great driver, competetor, 1970 engine, probably '71.
Backfire ;)

Dale
12-15-2002, 11:44 PM
even in that picture the jumpsuit and smile are easy to recognize

seems like yesterday

Don Bridges has a good photo posted here http://groups.msn.com/bridgesboats/bluespringsbay.msnw

thanks a bunch for sharing yours

..Dale

Backfire
12-16-2002, 12:56 AM
Right on time, leading the pack! Does my heart good to see those White motors 1, 2,3, 'tho they was mostly GREEN in those years. A Tom Kalbfus idea, green paint.
Backfire ;)

Dale
12-16-2002, 01:15 AM
Paul had a Green and Gold color scheme for the "OMC boys"
and that is what I got, even though I had a black motor..
dont think I ever saw another boat that color except on
one of the tunnels

..Dale

gemini
12-16-2002, 07:41 PM
This is Joe and Paul Allison at the NOA kilos in 1976 or 1977. Joe was trying to hide his trick Unlimited single engine set up. Thats a T-2 on the 15' Allison owned by Dr. Chuck Rutherford. Also attached is a shot of the boat running. It wasn't fast enough for the record,Jim Hunt running my decked over 16' Allison 'Just Rite"put about 6 mph on everyone at 96 mph or so.

gemini
12-16-2002, 07:43 PM
This is Joe making a kilo pass in the T-2 powered Allison at theKnoxville NOA Kilos 1976 or 1977

Dale
12-16-2002, 08:16 PM
cool pics

man 6mph was/is like a giant leap at those speeds, bet that
put a smile on Pauls face

would love to see some of your other photos from the past

..Dale

gemini
12-16-2002, 08:36 PM
Jim and I did a little homework before we got to Knoxville. We all ran 14:15 speedmasters with 10x16 props at 87-90 mph for circle racing. So for the kilos we went to a 1:1 with a really thin 10x18. It was amazing! I think they made us run twice because they thought the clocks were wrong. It was one of those fun days that make up for the disappointments. I later set the APBA SV kilo in a similar 15' Allison. I had to sit on the bank all day and watch Ben Robertson try to beat my speed because I thru a blade off after the run. He didn't and it was another one of those fun days.

gemini
12-16-2002, 08:48 PM
Joe would be 50 or so. Chuck is raising dairy cows in Tenn. and still has all the boats and motors. I think Joe was one of Dr. Rutherfords best customers since he ran so many classes and crashed a few.

Dale
12-16-2002, 09:19 PM
Joe was 2 years younger than me so he would have been
55 or so now

whoa bad math I changed the 59 to 55 ;)

..Dale

Bill Gohr
12-25-2002, 10:15 PM
That picture you mentioned of Joe in the lazer that wouldn't be the tan Lazer? Just wondering cuz I owned that boat and was told that's where it came from...

Also, does anyone have a pic of the Orange 20 footer with the twin T-3's????

helmetguru
01-03-2003, 11:16 PM
if thats the tan lazer that roark built and joe raced in 82 then i remember it well. i was at st louis watching joe test his 120 LeeCraft when he blew over going down the front stretch away from the launch ramp. I think testing was over but they let him make a few laps because it was his first 120 race.

the one thing i remember about joe was that he had been running OMC's and when he started racing Roark's tan lazer boat in Mod-VP he had a Merc on it. We were driving back from an NPA race in Ironton, Ohio and Joe pulled up next to us driving down the highway and as they went by he leaned out the window with his trophy in his hand and said "once you go black you never go back", both our boats had OMC's...it was pretty funny and I'll never forget it.

that was a crazy weekend for Mod-VP, with Joe passing away late friday, Roark opted to drive the boat himself, the fast guy all year had been Kim Howard in his Sleekcraft, the only guy to really pose a threat was Joe. In the Mod-VP final, Roark and Kim battled hardcore for the entire race with Roark in the lead until he barrell rolled in the far turn, it was very sad as he was driving his ass off, the Powerboat Magazine article's title was "This one was for Joe"...

the proudest part of my dad's racing career was winning the first Joe Burgess award, the only trophy he really keeps around. I think they retired it a few years ago and gave the original to Beverly, i wonder if she's still in Gallatin?

Superdave
01-05-2003, 09:01 AM
Winner!!!

Bill Gohr
01-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Along time ago Chris Busch told me he never tied his shoes when he drove, I know alot of people that have told me the same thing. I never tie my shoes when I race? Look at Joe's picture above. What's the deal?

gemini
01-06-2003, 09:29 AM
Joe drove with me at Havasu in 1979 and I don't remember the shoe deal but Bobby Sanders drove with me later and never took off his cowboy boots. He even turned it over a time or two and still came back wearing the wet cowboy boots.

Oclassracer
01-07-2003, 09:17 AM
I'm not saying I crashed alot, but I always like to wear wrestling shoes because they didnt come off. I never liked swimming barefoot!

helmetguru
01-07-2003, 05:32 PM
i tried wrestling shoes in a sport c boat, raced into the first turn and the "out" button on the throttle pedal shorted out, sent all the voltage in the boat right thru my wet foot, burned a hole in my new Nike wrestling shoe and sent me in a straight line in total shock, carried half the field to the shore. no more "out" buttons on the pedal and no more wrestling shoes.

is it bobby sanders or johnny sanders you're thinking about?

T2x
01-08-2003, 05:50 PM
You left your shoelaces out so they would not catch on something as you exited stage right in a flip or barrel roll.

In a related issue, I hooked in a race in Mass. driving a full tunnel 16 Moli/T2.......... I was wearing a parachute Jacket. When I reentered the still upright, motionless boat. My fully tied Nike Sneaker was sitting on the Throttle pedal.....and it was tied tightly. The dynamics can be stunning...............The only damage was the right side of the cockpit was opened like a door.

As a follow up to this stunt......I carelessly wrapped up the "chute", put it behind me, started the boat and sped back to the pits......as I adjusted my seating position....The chute caught some wind........and damn near dragged me backwards out of the cockpit. By the time the boat was on the trailer......my humility level had hit an all time high.

T2x

Ron Hill
03-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Finally found my Joe Burgess picture. It is at Havasu, it is a Laser Boat but don
t seem to recall anything else, except it was a cool picutre and we used it on our Gift Certificates..

Bill Gohr
03-01-2003, 10:30 PM
What color is that boat, I'm still wanting to know if the boat I had was Joe's

Bill Gohr
03-01-2003, 10:36 PM
my photo gallery and you'll see the boat I'm talking about, the graphics are close to the boat I had.

Bill Gohr
03-02-2003, 10:54 AM
with black and a touch of orange? Looks like the black on your pic

omc-v4
03-02-2003, 04:22 PM
maybe 1981 ? i worked at laser with roark his wife judy my wife donna, david tackle, fred caint rember his last name,ron mc kinzie and art miller. the boat that joe and stevie robertson ran was the boat that louis collins had been kicking ass with. it was light orange and black.roark was going to do his own driving. after hours me roark and david built a solid white 380 ultra light one. i think the deck was 1 ply of 3/4oz mat and 1 1/2 oz mat. the hull was 3/4 and 1/2 mat then roven from gunnel to gunnel with kevalar bottom up 4 in chine to chine seat box gas tank batt box combo no stringers. bottom had kledgcell 1in square for structure exp. this is probally all wrong roark you will just have to post and give the straight skinney. it was tuesday in texas we were going to be hot lapping at havasu turkey day? the boat is built and sitting on a shop dolly with no holes drilled yet. im a omc head . roark throws a old fiberglass dust wireing harness in it no key switch. he says beaver you will like this throwed in an old v4 stinger sand cast ignition plate. david is a merc head so i asked him what to do he said he didnt know the color code and he was afriad to drill any holes. roark throws in a water pressure gauge,tach and kill switch. so im getting tired standing around. where do you want all this crap roark? he says he wants the h2o gauge in the center and the tach just to the right of it. ok i had a clue and went for it. roark went to the airport and picked up joe and stevie. joe and stevie rigged their boat the same time we did roarks. we get to the races with modified stock h2o pick ups the guys out there had low ones roark was mader than a jap. the first day was cold and windy. oops i forgot about the driver meeting im setting by joe and he is singing( i got a eastwood smile and robert redford hair) from of his battle scars. rase day still cold but not so windy. roark started his motor in his starting position several times to keep it warm .later we figure he didnt turn on the fuel pump. when the flag droped his motor started and died got a bad start. he said when he was going through the traffic in the first turn half of a merc cowl came across the deck he had to duck to miss it. pipcorn was there wearing a letter jacket he had a bunch of proto type v wings. after 3 or 4 laps it looked like a stream graveyard. dont get me wrong i like any boat that will run. stevie was doing real good. roark was driving like a batt out of hell passing boats like they wer tied to a stump. then he droped off coming to the pits giving us the prop sign.i jumped in the 4 door chevy truck with a triple deck trailer and snaked my way down to the water there were people running from ever direction with props we had plenty of our own . i pulled it out ran back some one allready putt one on when i look down at what should be a real nice sharp line of the bottom of transom was not so sharp. when i looked under it i said its over roark looked and said get it out of here. the last 3ft of the bottom was showing its kevalar. it would probably lasted if he hadnt of had toplay catch up. he is the best boat builder ever but thats how you learn. joe and stevie wind up 4th. roark rebuilt thewhite boat an teamed up with joe. sold the boat in the middle of the season to daryl burnett.built the biege and black seperated with orange stripe. joe didnt get killed in this boat . idont know how roark did it but he drove that boat for joe that same week end like a man posessed. then bad luck crashed last lap. powerboat mag called it (this one is for joe)

Bill Gohr
03-03-2003, 10:33 AM
That sounds like the boat I had it was repaired on one side, look on my photo gallery you'll see it, still has the numbers that were on it when I got it. Guess I should have kept it. I guess the funny thing is why did Pipkorn have it? Thats where I got it........

BK
03-03-2003, 11:10 AM
wow, Beaver....
I never even knew you worked for Roark! Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Great story about you, Roark and Joe.

also -- About shoelaces.....when I first started racing, I remember the veterans all telling me to wear shoes with no shoelaces. The reason was the laces can get tangled in all kinds of things while you're trying to swim out from under a busted boat.

About 10 years ago I learned why this lesson was so important: Tony Terry ( I think it was) crashed in Huntington W.VA -- his boat sank immediately. Tony went down with it and never came up. He and the boat just vanished into the Ohio River. The people on the shore said that after a minute went by, they were certain he was dead.

Finally he popped up. Turned out that his shoelaces were caught on something in the boat and no matter how hard he fought, plus being dragged by river, he just couldnt get free.

So maybe velcro shoes should be part of our safety gear.

I remember Ted May raced in some slip-on red rubber galoshes he said he found in a garage sale: No laces, no straps.

runwhatchabrung
11-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Here's a pic

Raceman
11-15-2004, 09:08 PM
I think y'all may be off a year or two on the years at Knoxville. I've been trying to put a year on the first time I went, but I'm thinkin' 77 (might've been 76 though. Anyway, Joe had a Johnrude V6 on a 16 Ally and blew it over in the traps breaking his back. Somebody said the year before he had a dual engine boat there.

Anybody remember what year Darris first showed with the outrigger boat with the 4 cyl Merc? I remember him runnin' it, but think it must've been my second or third year there. Somebody said recently that he utlitmately set a record with it, but the first year there it was off the record in whatever class he had it in.

runwhatchabrung
11-22-2004, 07:54 PM
smoking on

bridges
11-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Joe on Lake Barkley, 1974

bridges
11-23-2004, 12:51 AM
another

bridges
11-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Seems like a lot of guys got passed by Joe...he was lapping the field (on the outside) in the photos of the Orange Allison/Stinger.

runwhatchabrung
11-23-2004, 11:18 AM
getting passed by Joe

joeburgess
05-15-2012, 09:55 AM
My husband is Joe's son...we have that Orange Allison in our back yard! He is really enjoying these stories!

stokernick
05-15-2012, 12:03 PM
welcome to the site! Feel free to share any pics,memories,etc.!

Da Bull
05-17-2012, 06:35 AM
Joe drove with me at Havasu in 1979 and I don't remember the shoe deal but Bobby Sanders drove with me later and never took off his cowboy boots. He even turned it over a time or two and still came back wearing the wet cowboy boots.

Wow i just saw this thread. My boots? I would like to say that the reason was something real smart but it was the thin sole that allowed me to feel the up button. When you get used to something you hate to change it. Louis, I remember you laughing at my boots but we won lots of races with them. OH, I still got um too!

Cool thread about Joe. One of a kind.

Bobby (my name ain`t Johnny) Sanders aka DB