PDA

View Full Version : Another tower. . .maybe an earlier Jim Parker

Mark75H
12-14-2002, 11:52 AM
This one is taller than the one Crazy Horse posted. I have seen several different lower units adapted to this type tower. Maybe Pep Hubbell and Russ Hill Sr developed it.

The part I see as very similar to the short Parker is the lower swivel boss. . . look at the gusset, too.

crazy horse
12-14-2002, 12:13 PM
Sam , I got one for ya, Who made this tower?

crazy horse
12-14-2002, 12:21 PM
In this shot if you look down at the bottom above the cav. plate it looks like a weld bead. Sorry for the size of the shots but I wanted to leave the detail alone.

Mark75H
12-14-2002, 01:57 PM
That is the Quincy tower made by O.F. Christner. I think it is the shortest of all of these.

Harry Brinkman has the tools to make these now.

Dave S
12-14-2002, 07:31 PM
That bullet looks FAT? What gives or is it my eyes?:D

Mark75H
12-14-2002, 08:39 PM
No, your eyes are not fat. I think its just the grey paint, Dave. Maybe its the grey paint on your monitor; stand farther back the next time you paint something and try not to inhale the fumes.

Dave S
12-14-2002, 11:41 PM
How did you know I was painting? You must have ESP. On the top motor, the bullet looks thicker. Was it an overdrive unit? It also has no flats on the side, like a Speedmaster. Could it be a 150 Chrysler gear case cut a little to fit a Merc? I'm getting crosseyed looking at the computer. Oh by the way, BPs are not 1 to 1 on the bottom. I believe it's 14 to 16. When are you going to put on a mystery gear case, or was this it? Next time you take a picture, please rake up the leaves first. :D

crazy horse
12-15-2002, 12:01 AM
Dave, I was wondering about the 1 to 1 bp cases. When you look at the cutaway it looks like the gears on the prop shaft are a little larger.

Mark75H
12-15-2002, 12:35 AM
You'll have to take up the leaves in the garage with Mr. Courtright who owns that beast.

Ooops, I thought you were talking about the motor with the Quincy tower. . . you are a little right about the Speedmaster in the top picture, it is not standard issue, but it is a Merc.

Chyrslers have a very obvious bulge for the gears above the bullet. None of the pictures I have show it as well as the parts list, so here you go.....the 135 hp racing Chrysler parts list...

crazy horse
12-15-2002, 12:40 AM
Sam, Did Chrysler ever build a twin pinion speedmaster ? I saw one a while back and the prop shaft was splined, I think.

Mark75H
12-15-2002, 01:08 AM
The 150 hp racing Chrysler lower unit had a splined shaft with the same splines as a Super Speedmaster, but the Chryslers are all single pinion. The Chrysler racing lower unit has more space between the cav plate and the prop shaft than a Speedmaster or SSM has so you can run bigger props on it than on a Merc. Some Merc guys were jealous and cut their exhaust snouts off to use props made for Chryslers. Disadvantages of the Chyrsler motors are based on the 4 cylinder big bore motor vs the smaller bore Mercs....4 large pistons much heavier than the Mercs, less port area available on the 4, longer distance to the edge of the combustion chamber making them even more likely to detonate on questionable fuel. So, lower compression and lower rpm potential than a Merc.

I could show more pictures of the Merc in the top picture, but it has some secret Lake X stuff on it and I'd have to make all 3,375 ScreamandFly members swear an oath of secrecy before I posted them.

I think the boat in crazy horse's picture was owned (for a little while) by a certain retired racer who sometimes posts here on Screamandfly. Am I correct? Before I figured out who you were I couldn't figure out why you bought it, now I can't figure out why you sold it.

crazy horse
12-15-2002, 08:56 AM
Sam, I think I have a shot of the whole boat if you want it? It is a nice looking ride without question.

Raceman
12-15-2002, 10:48 AM
Post it Crazy Hor. I wanna see it.

crazy horse
12-15-2002, 10:57 AM
You got um, RM.

crazy horse
12-15-2002, 11:01 AM
One more time.

sho305
12-15-2002, 03:08 PM
I hope I hear(&see) one of those 6 cyl straight pipe beasts run before I die...doesn't anyone have any video of one??? They gotta sound like something else!

Thats some nice stuff guys.

David_L6
12-15-2002, 04:32 PM
You need to go to one of the racing organizations "Nationals". You're almost guaranteed to see one there.

NBRA Nats are in Pineville, LA.; AOF Nats. are in DePue, IL. I'm not sure about APBA. Mark 75H can fill us in on that one.

Mark75H
12-15-2002, 09:25 PM
Sho, there is a racer not too far from you named Rich Welch who has a 6 cylinder FE hydro. Watch for the races next spring and summer and see if you can get to one, I'm sure he will be running in them.

By next summer I'll have good video of mine I'll be able to share, this year's season wasn't that good for me, at the one race my brother showed up with his camcorder I sunk the boat and ruined the ignition module and the motor didn't run right.

sho305
12-15-2002, 10:05 PM
DOH! That sucks! Hope it is ok. I think I will be able to next summer. Had to work out of town and long hours last three summers, and did not know about S&F before this year. Hoping things will be settling down here now so I can do some of that stuff. Tired of driving home in the dark all year, the winter is bad enough.