PDA

View Full Version : Any other airplane pilots....

SCT
12-14-2002, 10:55 AM
Any other airplane nuts or pilots on the S&F board? What do you fly? How many hrs per year? Ratings?
Just wondering,

SCT

woodco
12-14-2002, 11:04 AM
I always wondered if there where any other fly boys here ... I started in a " Piper Cub " Love them taildraggers . Eventually
worked my way up to a Cesna 150 ... Then on to a Comanche.

As for hours .... None lately :( Hopefully that will change

It's hard to be a boater and a fly'er .........

Jimboat
12-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Hi...I am a private pilot, fly C152/17X/18X usually. Haven't flown much lately though.

captcarb
12-14-2002, 11:50 AM
About 20,000 hours in many types.

Jim

Hunter
12-14-2002, 12:57 PM
All my time has been paid for by you folks so thank you.

C-141 soon to be obsolete cargo transport with a max of 325,000 peacetime
T-37 overgrossed once the student gets in
T-1 about 16,000...much like the Beech 400...very fun w/ a nice dash.

SCT
12-14-2002, 04:10 PM
Woodco, A tail dragger rating is the only thing I wish I had !!! I'm afraid I would wreck it, though....and get a mark on my record.
It's funny how us relativly "young"pilots are afraid of tail wheels!! Especially being trained in a C-150.
I fly jets now and don't even know what those rudder peddals do? It's kind of sad how airmenship is left to an autopilot/ flight director.
SCT
ATP
C-550, 560XL, 650, 750, and CL-604

lyle
12-14-2002, 07:30 PM
ive been flying for a few years i own a 1975 piper cruser ive got about 400 hrs

captcarb
12-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Flying a tailwheel airplane is not a big deal, or it should not be with proper training. The habits learned will make one a better pilot in any type including jets and multi-engine.

The tailwheel airplanes are more fun to fly too, in my opinion.

Jim

typhoon
12-15-2002, 02:18 AM
I fly too. Mostly Warriors and a Beech Debonair.
Don't know how many hours I have, been flying for a couple of years now.
As soon as I build a garage at my new place, I am going to start building a Barracuda.

Regards, Andrew.www.flybarracuda.com/ (http://www.flybarracuda.com/)

ImbadBob
12-15-2002, 08:22 AM
I'm not a pilot, just a "nut", anything with a propeller on it. I did get to fly an AT-6 this summer . That was a blast. Bob

woodco
12-15-2002, 12:29 PM
When I started my lessons the Cub was the one they stuck me in
and I loved it..... Such an easy plane to handle and to learn with.

Kinda like to get my hands on a Jet though ....... :cool:

Doubledog
12-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Love em'!

Any of you into rotary wing? Thats where my biggest fascination with flight is. Oh and I just finished the autobiography on Chuch Yeager. Great reading.

David_L6
12-15-2002, 04:26 PM
I started in a Cessna 140. I've flown a couple of 150s and a tandem seat plane that I just can't remember the name of right now (I liked the tandem seater better than the Cessnas). I've flown a glider also and like it as well as or better than any the powered planes. Got where I could herd them around ok. Never tried to get enough time in to get license though. Spent my time and money fooling around with race boats.

SCT
12-15-2002, 05:45 PM
WoodCo,

When I was a young student pilot, I took a ride with a friend in his Cub. There was only a 10-12Knt crosswind on landing.......but we still squealed the tires, went off the side of the runway into the grass, and almost nosed over when he locked
up the brakes. That was enough for me on tail wheel a/c!!

I'll pick my way around storms, pick up ice, and fly an ILS down to 150ft with the boss bitching about the bad "catered" meal before
I get in another "dragger".

SCT

I did like flying around with the door open at 200 ft on a nice summer day, though.

woodco
12-15-2002, 07:15 PM
Yeh those Cubs can be a little scary sometimes when its windy.I
remember when I was praticing take-off and landings the wind
was gusting to 20 + mph and I was almost pushed into the trees
That gave me a lil scare .......

The open door thing is what makes that slow poke really neat ...

red hott
12-16-2002, 09:35 AM
i fly a CL 65 CANADAIR rj (barbie jet) love to fly as a job and hobbie fly someone elses toy and get paid ive flown many different modles all cessna,beech, and pipers the navaho sucks except the pressurized modle and it is still heavy on the controls but most pipers are. i love king airs, barrons, and 421's there great.
thanks
tray
ATP
CL65, EMB120, B737, CE 500 (EST 8000HRS flting time)

SCT
12-16-2002, 10:31 AM
Redd Hott,

What do you think of the CRJ? I was typed in the Cl604 this fall and was not real impressed with the airplane. Stick and rudder it flew pretty nice, but performance, and system wise I thought Bombardier could have did a better job. Especially, the pnuematics. What a joke! And the Collins Pro Line 4 is not the most friendliest FMS. (I like Honeywell).
SCT

red hott
12-16-2002, 10:53 AM
the ecs sucks you cant regulate it it is eithr hot or cold in automode manual works alright i wish it climbed better above 20000 feet its that supercritical wing overall its real nice i like the room in the cockpit colins fms 4200 is nice i like it so icant compare it to honeywell? do you fly for a fractional with all of those type ratings? cant wait to fly an allison 2000 ss with all recall gages hahaha!
talkto ya soon
tray

red hott
12-16-2002, 10:58 AM
where in ohio are you? i will be in ackron sat late and we leave sun at 500 pm if thats close may be we can hook up and talk about some cool topics you know the three F's. hehehe
tray

SCT
12-16-2002, 07:17 PM
ReddHott,
I'm from Ohio, but moved to Charlotte, NC last spring (I need to update my stats). I fly for Privat Air (the old FSG) and we manage BF Goodrich Aerospace's flight department (a "X" and a 604 and a Global Express hopefully in the future).
Who are you flying for? PSA? Peidmont? The CL604 doesn't climb well above FL250 either...I'm not sure if it is the wing or the engines.
SCT

PS Now the Citation "X" is a hell of an airplane!! We saw 657 knt gsp (532 Tas) coming back from San Diego a couple of weeks ago. It's even certified to 51.

red hott
12-17-2002, 10:51 PM
sct ,i fly for the delta connection (asa) out of dallas i wish i could fly a x just once it seems hot not like the 500s(nearjet hehehe)i know it will move out my dad is an air traffic controller and worked the air plane when they tested it out of ict he said the dove tested it to .98 mach the cl 65/604s like speed over altitude
next time you go the airport go out to the winglet walk backwards 5 or 10 feet and look downthe underside of the wing the defined curve of the bottom of the wing is why it sucks it the climb but it likes speed. once it gets to alt it goes ok but it takes forever toget there 125 150 miles to get tofl350 -fl370 the 70 seat version is supposed to out perform the 50seater by far. to the guy that flew a tandem seat airplane it may have been an aeronica champ. my dad had one and it was fun to fly around in.:D
tray

ScottyG
12-19-2002, 12:23 AM
SCT, I am lucky enough to have a 1946 J3C-65 Cub and and a 1998 Extra 200(aerobatic monoplane) Got about 1900hrs,the last 700 mostly Aerobatics in the Extra and just puttin around in the Cub.Never flew any big iron although I give alot of rides to airline guys who want to try some aerobatics in the Extra.I am based at Brookhaven on Long Island but I actually soloed at CMH(Port Columbus)at a place called Central Skyport back in 82.I think it was runway 28R.It seemed like it was 10 miles long in that little C-152(which was right off the production line from Cessna at the time)

red hott
12-19-2002, 11:24 AM
we occationaly get to overnigt in islip i shure would like to ride/fly the extra that would be fun I love tail wheels, wish we stillhad the 7ac champ it was just too cool. sct where do you train at in your jets i also work part time at simuflite in dallas may be we have crossed paths?
TRAY

SCT
12-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Tray, I've only been to Flight Safety- TOL, Wilmington, ICT.

Scott, Are you from Columbus? I don't think Central SkyPort is at CMH anymore. Lane Aviation is still around though. The Extra looks like an awsome machine.

Scott
12-19-2002, 01:32 PM
Only about 30 hours. C150, C152/152RG (over gross in anything else!)Then.......came the mortgage, the Mrs., 3 carpet crawlers and the flyin took a flight! Would love to get re-cert. and begin again someday. Sure have some great memories from the early hours! $45.00/hr wet for a 150! Sure was fun! The "tail-less" shirt is long gone but I look through the log book every now and then!
Anyone readin' this thread who has never tried it....most smaller air parks have flight schools and a "sample" flight is cheep, would make a great gift for you or someone else!
My hats off to those still flyin' I'm a little jealous!:(

P man
12-19-2002, 03:49 PM
I think this is real kool
I come from a family of very interesting pilots and one thing ive learned is:
pilots are some of the most Intelligent/obsessive compulsive people in the world

ScottyG
12-19-2002, 05:34 PM
Red Hot, I live about 10 mins from ISP.If you lay over and want to fly the Extra just send me an e-mail and if I am off work I will arrange it. SCT, No I am not from Columbus I was staying with a cousin who lives there for summer vacation when I was 16.Yeah, he told me Skyport is gone.The instructor who soled me was Dave Hughes.He was good instructor.I remember he demonstrated a spin before he soloed me.From that moment on I knew I wanted to fly Aerobatics.