PDA

View Full Version : Caution : Senior Citizens !!!!!!

woodco
12-13-2002, 11:46 PM
They may be old and frail ...... But they still can be sneaky !!!! :eek:

FLEMINGTON -- A Bucks County man pleaded guilty Wednesday to charges he bilked vacationers out of more than $24,000 in a real estate scam.

William W. McCandless, 68, of Newtown, Pa., is expected to be sentenced to probation and pay $13,000 restitution as a result of a plea deal with the Hunterdon County Prosecutor's Office. He pleaded guilty to a single charge of theft by deception. He was initially charged with five counts of third-degree theft by deception, two counts of fourth-degree theft by deception, five counts of third-degree attempted theft by deception, 12 counts of third-degree forgery and one count of third-degree wrongful impersonation.

McCandless' arrest in December 2001 followed a joint investigation by the Hunterdon County Prosecutor's Office and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, the law enforcement branch of the U.S. Postal Service.

Authorities say McCandless used the assumed name Brett Englebreth to open a fraudulent bank account and post office box. He then allegedly placed advertisements with photographs and descriptions of vacation properties for rent.

The victims, none of whom were from Hunterdon County, sent payments of between $500 and $4,000 to McCandless to rent the properties, authorities said. When the victims arrived at the vacation homes they found they were privately owned or did not exist at all

175checkmate
12-14-2002, 06:20 AM
Makes 24k, and has to pay back 13k. What a deal. He should get it alot worse.

woodco
12-14-2002, 09:29 AM
Makes it worth scamming people !!!!!!!! When I saw that he is
only to pay $ 13,000.00 ...... I couldn't believe it :rolleyes:

Just because he's an old man I guess :confused:

175checkmate
12-14-2002, 09:56 AM
They did that so he would not have to dip it to the retirement fund.

woodco
12-14-2002, 10:48 AM
That was funny !!!!!!!! :D :p :D

BarryStrawn
12-14-2002, 10:52 AM
I doubt he got to keep the other $11,000. The Judge probably let him use that to pay his attorney fees.

FCnLa
12-14-2002, 11:02 AM
There is a guy that lives close to my farm. He used to farm.....if you want to call it that. Anyway, he had a lady friend at the FSA Farm Service Agency). They got a "deal" going between the two of them. She would get him subsidy checks he did not qualify for and he would give her a cut.

They ended up busting the both of them. Both did jail time. He did about a year-to a year and a half at the Pea Farm. Never paid back a cent. He ended up stealing about $40,000 of our (government) money and never paid back a cent. That might have been because he is a minority..........or maybe our government is just stupid....LOL!

BTW. I don't think that he was eligible for the $50,000 payment to minority farmers for being discriminated against....LOL!

bulldogdaddy
12-14-2002, 05:47 PM
i bust my a$$ to get the little things in life that i have now. even though i did alot of stupid crap before i never stole from anyone. when you think of it if the person thinks of a way to do the stealling they could have been working making their own money. to the theifs;get a job!