PDA

View Full Version : HELP.. I got a question..

TTriton
12-11-2002, 06:24 PM
Ok.. Here is a off the wall question.. But with some of the technicians and electrical engineers here I know someone will have the answer.

We are decorating our towboat for a Christmas parade.. Every year we use a generator for power but it is VERY loud!! And I was wondering if I could rig up a 120V DC systems with 10 batteries wouldn't that work? I know it wouldn't power any complex electronics or any AC motors but these are simple two wire Christmas lights and what do they care if they get AD or DC.. As long as they get there 120 or 110 volts..

Any idea's here??

woodco
12-11-2002, 06:44 PM
It sounds good but you'll never get AC from a DC source..... You
would be better off with inverters to run the lights.

Hope this helps ........ :cool:

Techno
12-11-2002, 06:49 PM
You don't need the full 120 volts and you can go over it a bit too. less volts a bit dimmer and more brighter with a shorter life.

Just remember it's still 120 volts and on top of that it's carrying a large amp capability. Using smaller wires will ensure that they act like a fuse if shorted. Your not running a high amp item so large welding cable isn't needed.

Next year you could rewire the bulbs so they run on 12 volts. I Think the old ones where one goes out they all do were wired in series so if wired in parrallal would run on 12 volts. Pull a bulb on the present string to see but they're probably 120 v bulbs( and the string stays lit). If so finding the previous 12 v bulbs would plug in and make the whole string about a 12 volt system.

Wile E. Coyote
12-11-2002, 06:53 PM
I'm with woodco, try using an inverter, or three...

Gerben
12-11-2002, 07:08 PM
My .2:
Buy a honda generator. The "new" models a really quiet and lightweight.
Don't know how many watts you need, but might be good investment anyways for daily use.

Gerben

TTriton
12-11-2002, 07:23 PM
I would love to use and inverter but I'm not up for spending a couple hundred dollars.. I'm looking for a cheaper solution..

woodco
12-11-2002, 07:25 PM
Yep !!! That was my second recomendation ... They make 'em as
small as a lil luch cooler and very quiet too !!!

Lee ...... What kinda boat ya decorating ????

TTriton
12-11-2002, 07:32 PM
were decorating our Chris Craft Tournament.. It is a 25 foot twin inboard boat that we have totally redesigned on the inside for towing.

TTriton
12-11-2002, 07:37 PM
here is a pic of the boat

Wile E. Coyote
12-11-2002, 07:38 PM
Heres a thought....twin inboards? Im sure you know the difference between an alternators DC charge and AC output is a little diode.....however I dont know what voltage AC output it would be.....In a perfect world you could go to a rebuild shop and probably get one rigged just the way you want it for not much money.
If thats to much of a PITA then at least TRY the battery idea, it should work as long as you wire the batteries correctly....

TTriton
12-11-2002, 07:39 PM
opps.. But it is the right boat.. just bad pic

woodco
12-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Thats what I was gettin at !!!! Since it's an inboard there's yur
answer !!!!! Much better than trippin over all those batteries ;)

Techno had a good idea with the DC lightbulbs also ... It's
hard to say what would be cheaper ........

Lee yur teasing me with those pics !!!!!! :mad:

I Love That Place ......... :)

Tom D.
12-11-2002, 11:02 PM
Hell use the generator! Cheap- peice of flex pipe and route it over the side in the water. That should make it quiter!:D

Tom

TTriton
12-11-2002, 11:08 PM
Belive me I have tried everything I could to muffle the generator but it is a brigs and straton and not all the sound comes from the exhast. It seems that most of the sound radiates from the motor its self...

sho305
12-12-2002, 08:16 PM
I have a 300 watt and a 150 watt inverter I can wire into any car for 110v. I used them for laptops. Not knowing the wattage of your lights there, try and find out. These are only what, $50-60 or so at Sams? They will trash the battery after a while, but if you have a bunch, and maybe a meter to check them so you could charge them if need be? I never ran it more than a half hour w/out the car running with two laptops going full speed(one battery in car). The 150 has a lighter plug-in on it, 300 is too big for that and I stuck it right in the fuse box. I am sure you could run the 300 for a few hours on a half dozen batteries.

Put a big tractor muffler on a 8hp briggs gen set once. Was no exhaust sound but then it sounded like a turbo blower going yet with the fan and generator at those rpms. Was great in the hunting camper with it outside.