PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to bleed latham hydraulic steering?

MERCMAN
04-23-2001, 07:43 PM
the guy at latham said hard right and keep the helm full of fluid and bleed the same hose as the motor was turning towards but it only makes since to bleed the opposite hose that is forcing fluid into the cylinder. it is getting worse somebody help? by the way if anybody has a side ram and merc bracket for sale let me know. thanks!

stvhelm
04-23-2001, 10:45 PM
I have that set up on my euro. you need 2 people for this. one to turn the wheel and supply fluid and one to bleed the lines. the best way to get the air out is to keep a constant supply of fluid to the helm, then keep turning the wheel in one direction with the line cracked open on the pushing side of the ram. then repeat in the other direction with the other line cracked open. also try disconnecting the ram from the wing plate and tilt it all the way up when bleeding the rear line and all the way down when bleeding the front line. be carefull not to turn the wheel back and forth to many times with air in the line because the fluid will become airated and you'll be doing again another day. let out about a quart of fluid in each direction. do not put the fluid you took out of the ram back into the helm. it will probably have tiny bubbles in it, and it will have to be bled again. hope ive helped. been through that before.

espen
04-24-2001, 07:38 PM
Hi!
I did start with the hoses almost off the ram to get easy fill I had to take them of to tilt the cylinders to get the air out of the bleed hole.lots of turning and bleeding and
oil all over....I have 3 merc latham tilt bolts.2 Mayfair sylinders and 2 plates for Yammy(Latham)
Espen