PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic pants?

Rocket
12-07-2002, 08:14 AM
What are Ballistic pants? And where can I buy them? SRP? Lifeline?:confused:

Gordie Miller
12-07-2002, 08:53 AM
They are cut resistant(usually Kevlar)pants. And yes, Lifeline is the best source. Expensive, but very worth it.

BarryStrawn
12-07-2002, 09:43 AM
Also water resistant which is a really good idea if you get pitched out of an open cockpit and impact rear end first.

KaptainKirk
12-07-2002, 04:11 PM
from Lifeline.
They will talk ya through the size ordering on the phone.
Your decision on the size is if ya gonna where them over pants or over shorts.
Most races you have to have long pants on..so make sure you go up one size then your pant size so they will fit comfortable.
Oh by the way I have the Bermuda style shorts version.
My experience is with these..not the cut resistant kevlar pants they sell.
Price list from 2001 shows the shorts like I have to be 135.00 in price.

I can scan the page in here if ya want?
Thats if ya don't have Lifelines catalog.
K.K.

Rocket
12-07-2002, 04:37 PM
KK, I will be needing long pants at most of my race's. Could you please scan in both of those pages?

How much are thier helmet restraints? What do they look like?

Thanks again!;)

KaptainKirk
12-07-2002, 05:02 PM
the shorts..135.00 in 01' catalog

KaptainKirk
12-07-2002, 05:05 PM
The pants, 221.00 in 01' catalog.
I would go with race suit and the shorts, but thats my opinion.

KaptainKirk
12-07-2002, 05:10 PM
Helmet restraint system- a must have in my opinion.
70.00 in 01' catalog.
Ya have ta tell them full face or open face helmet, and your chest measurement.
Its real easy to install !!
You should call Lifeline and get a catalog, its FREE and is of very high quality !

Rocket
12-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Well, I would but new SDBA rules say Balistic pants. I just assumed they meant long. I will check with rules committee before I buy. Thanks K.K.

KaptainKirk
12-07-2002, 05:26 PM
rules first that stuff is not cheap !
But the shorts talk about guarding against Extreme water pressure. The pants don't.
Call Lifeline see what they say about the difference between the two in safety and which is tougher !
K.K.

Jay2002
12-08-2002, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't consider racing with a helmet unless I had the restraint!!! In an open cockpit like yours and mine, the chances of breaking your neck without the restraint aren't worth the risk. I won't put a helmet on my head without one. I got mine from Lifeline as well. The people there are very helpful. Good luck, Jay.

Rocket
12-08-2002, 04:01 AM
Thanks Jay,

It's on my Christmas list, along with Balistic pants.

I hope, I've been a good boy this year!

KEVIN NICHOLS
12-12-2002, 07:10 PM
I HAVE A SET OF SLEEVES FOR SALE THEY ARE FULL THROTTLE BRAND SIZE IS XL COLOR IS ORANGE PRICE IS $75.00 E-MAIL ME AT JNICHOLS1220@MSN.COM

GT
12-12-2002, 07:17 PM
For those of you with questions on the pants, I talked with SDBA president John White today & he says the shorts will be just fine. You will still need some form of long pants on underneath though. Hope this helps clear things up.

Rocket
12-12-2002, 10:06 PM
Thanks GT! What class do you race?

GT
12-12-2002, 11:23 PM
Should be running T/E again, but the new boat hasn't been rope racing much & we'll have to see where it shakes out.

Jeff Lytle
12-18-2002, 08:00 AM
From what I have heard, the shorts were first introduced when Lifeline started selling the "Chute" jacket. The parachute was designed to do 2 things: slow you down, and ensure you would enter the water in some sort of feet first attitude. The days of tumbling across the water like a rag doll seemed to be over.
The feet first presented a new problem--Hydraulic internal injuries associated with the feet first thing. The shorts were designed to stop that. Notice the length? They fit perfectly under the thigh cuffs on the Lifeline Chute jacket. You might call them "Anti-Enema" shorts, if you catch my drift.
I got tossed out once, driving a 350cc Hydro. You're looking at 95-100 mph here, which really wasn't what the chute was designed for. When I surfaced, I found floating chute lines all over the place, if it wasn't for the A1 rescue team in Valleyfield, things might have been different for me. They knew how to release the shoulder buckles that hold the chute on, so all was well.
I was always afraid of the dreaded "Blowover", that's why I opted for the Chute/pants combo. My last years racing were in the PRO catagory running 700cc Hydro, which ran 120+ mph. These items more than provided the piece of mind I needed.