PDA

View Full Version : scale merc champ outboard

specialk1
11-20-2011, 04:47 PM
just like to share of some of the work that Wade and I are working on in the R/C world with you all .. this is the new AMPS 1/4 tunnel hull and the some of the prototype Champ motors they are 2 stroke around 6 to 8 HP gear driven lowers .. , hope you all enjoy some of the pictures :cheers:

timmc6
11-20-2011, 05:39 PM
more pics ,thats cool.

RED DRAGON 1
11-20-2011, 05:47 PM
where can i get one

Tom Foley
11-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Fantastic stuff , keep up the good work on this front . I believe there will be a great interest in this product if it is available to the public in quantity . Awesome !

Capt.Insane-o
11-20-2011, 06:11 PM
:O gimmie!

specialk1
11-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Fantastic stuff , keep up the good work on this front . I believe there will be a great interest in this product if it is available to the public in quantity . Awesome ! thanks !! we are trying !!

levi ledet
11-20-2011, 07:20 PM
about how much for one ???

RLP
11-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!
Very nice looking work,there a big crowd thats been waiting for some one to build a nice O/B !
Will it use the 26cc power head ?

Mr. Demeanor
11-22-2011, 05:56 PM
I could use one for a kicker or spare on my boat :)

specialk1
11-24-2011, 03:04 PM
the power head will be a RCMK rear exhaust , and 2 will be made with a scale v-6 2.5 EFI , a lot of work has gone in to the outboards and the hull , as for $$$ the outboard alone will be around $2,000 to 2,500 ,, a full carbon fiber hull 1,500 .. now this is just a estimate .. I am working on a 72, skater hull that can hold twin O/B on it .:thumbsup:

specialk1
11-24-2011, 04:51 PM
hey Tom ,, you can trade in your Allison for the AMPS day cruser .. LOL .. you cant go wrong with a old school trihull :cheers:

SANTAFE
11-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Lets hear one run.

pointer
11-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm into R/C as well, and have wanted one of these for years! Very interested!

specialk1
11-27-2011, 09:01 PM
jealous yet ...LOL :cheers:

SKATER21
11-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Lets hear one run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BepKX1OJBUA&feature=player_detailpage
try this ....

eli
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
totaly bad azz

SANTAFE
11-28-2011, 12:07 PM
I wish my 300 pro max had throttle response like that.

nate.
11-28-2011, 06:22 PM
so bad ass.

Tom Foley
11-28-2011, 06:26 PM
so bad ass.
Nate , Winternats Race in Riverview , FL last weekend in January ...major race 400 boats . I'll be there racing 7 classes , you'll have to stop by . I'll post info on another thread when it gets close .

Capt.Insane-o
11-28-2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BepKX1OJBUA&feature=player_detailpage
try this ....

Okay, I am absolutley going to have to have one of those...

RogerH
11-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Okay, I am absolutley going to have to have one of those...

Already got mine.....it's just lacking a few cylinders and is an inline.....but it's a good one! (Quincy Deflector Motor by Alterscale - Terry Topjun)

specialk1
12-07-2011, 11:06 PM
my AMPS logo on shaun Torrente F1 boat for the big F1H2O Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi this week !! and new AMPS gas outboard made by Wade there to on display in the Qatar Team tent !!

OMCD
12-08-2011, 06:58 AM
What about building a gutted version with a stand like the Alterscale models like the one photo you have above on the boat. That would be a cool display model and a lot cheaper, Im sure you would sell quite a few.

RLP
12-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Mass produce those things so we can all have one alot cheaper...and u would make the bucks im sure.

specialk1
12-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Mass produce those things so we can all have one alot cheaper...and u would make the bucks im sure.I think hand made is better than Mass produce / time and care are put into each boat and outboard , Wade and I are doing this for fun in the hobby and it is not cheap . I am not a large hobby company with Investors and deeeep pockets LOL .. we both have hundreds of hours and $$ put in to this crazy project . We both have agreed not to have this stuff Mass produced in China and become CRAP ,(keep it USA made ) the bottom line is we take pride in doing this not to get rich from it , I know $2,000 base price is high but try puting up the start up money and time . you would pull your hair out LOL !! I know I have from time to time ..

levi ledet
12-08-2011, 10:46 PM
You have a pm

CSD23
12-10-2011, 09:53 AM
These are so cool! Keep up the good work!

Stoker1
12-10-2011, 10:56 AM
I know $2,000 base price is high

Got to disagree with you. Compare what the jet guys are spending for their engines alone. This is a unique quality peice of hardware that anyone would be proud to display, much less to run. The problem with a lot of boaters in the US is they dont want to get off the wallet and poney up.

Glad to see an American company thinking outside the box and actually doing something about it. The Europeans are far ahead in the RC boating world but you guys could teach others a thing or two.

RLP
12-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I think hand made is better than Mass produce / time and care are put into each boat and outboard , Wade and I are doing this for fun in the hobby and it is not cheap . I am not a large hobby company with Investors and deeeep pockets LOL .. we both have hundreds of hours and $$ put in to this crazy project . We both have agreed not to have this stuff Mass produced in China and become CRAP ,(keep it USA made ) the bottom line is we take pride in doing this not to get rich from it , I know $2,000 base price is high but try puting up the start up money and time . you would pull your hair out LOL !! I know I have from time to time ..
Yall are doing awesome on the O/B !!!!!!!!!!!
SORRY didnt mean any harm...and yes keep it USA !

Tom Foley
12-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Totally cool , no one on the PLANET is doing more than you guys are !! bigger skeg might help from what I have seen on some other setups . The larger skegs keep them from swapping ends .

specialk1
12-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Totally cool , no one on the PLANET is doing more than you guys are !! bigger skeg might help from what I have seen on some other setups . The larger skegs keep them from swapping ends .
well theere are two size of gear cace . one long for offshore and one short for F1 set up . most time you see spinout's is no ajustment of the outboard during it runing .. AMPS has allwas had trim . the new gas outboard has up down in out just like the real one's :thumbsup: and now a sneek peek at the scale 2.5 v-6 .. you can start drooling now ..LOL :reddevil:

SKATER21
12-13-2011, 09:55 PM
I would like to thank all of you for the complements on this build !!
I have a lot of time and hair loss into this motor lol.. Yes they will be for sale ....When I think they are perfect ! I know some of you think the price tag is big however ther are made one at a time by hand. NOT a casting
I dont like to post on the boards cuz I typl like 5 words per min. (lol didnt take that class in school ) anyway some more sneek peek's for ya . enjoy 248082248082

SKATER21
12-13-2011, 09:59 PM

Iowafshr
12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
So cool, and keep up the great work. Can't wait to see it running.:thumbsup:

RED DRAGON 1
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Im your first buyer,may need 2 to set up a nice skater hull

2.5-21
12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Definitely want to know more. is alterscale involved?

toyomirage02
12-15-2011, 05:32 PM
freakin awsome

specialk1
12-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Definitely want to know more. is alterscale involved? no Alterscale is not involved . they only make static models . wade and I make runing R/C boats and outboards that are scale ,,

RLP
12-16-2011, 06:14 PM
I would like to thank all of you for the complements on this build !!
I have a lot of time and hair loss into this motor lol.. Yes they will be for sale ....When I think they are perfect ! I know some of you think the price tag is big however ther are made one at a time by hand. NOT a casting
I dont like to post on the boards cuz I typl like 5 words per min. (lol didnt take that class in school ) anyway some more sneek peek's for ya . enjoy 248082248082

Very nice !!!!!!!!!

keomotorsports
12-16-2011, 06:39 PM
There AWESOME, I am a R,C junkie boats,cars,trucks,planes.. At 2k a motor It will be a very small market.. I,m not trying to down you the product looks F::KING AMAZING.. Keep up the good work..

specialk1
12-17-2011, 10:15 AM
some of my older products .. back in the day :thumbsup:

specialk1
12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
one more :D

pointer
12-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Very cool stuff! I've been into RC boats since the mid 90s - always wanted a scale champ boat with a 2 stroke.
The V hull with the Johnson looks great!
I have a couple of AC lazers needing outboard power!!!
I'd drop $2K on a reliable unit.... .
pointer

levi ledet
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
any update on these ?????:thumbsup:

R.Doy-yat
10-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Are you near the completion of your motor & tunnel yet? I called a few times & left you a message. Can you call me or send me an email at: doyyatracing@sympatico.ca to let me know when they will be ready for sale please. Thanks.

phillnjack
11-15-2012, 08:04 PM
The amps 1/4 scale cat hull has been around for 30 years to my knowledge.
same with the large scale 2 stroke outboard.
Ive had a few of the amps products, the amps tigershark, the amps miss enfield etc
this stuff was originaly made in the uk.
ive also still got an outdrive i bought from amps back in 1980 from the T.M products factory,
in chatteris, England.
T.M Products was where the amps stuff was manufactured in the uk, in those days amps was considered pretty good stuff.
From memory i think the 1/4 scale tunnel was based on a full size seabold.
Lots of rc boats using the large scale 2 stroke outboard used to race in londons docklands.
They never were a match for the high powered glow engines, but they did look nice and
gave a more scale look at their slower speeds.

phill

specialk1
11-16-2012, 04:16 PM
The amps 1/4 scale cat hull has been around for 30 years to my knowledge.
same with the large scale 2 stroke outboard.
Ive had a few of the amps products, the amps tigershark, the amps miss enfield etc
this stuff was originaly made in the uk.
ive also still got an outdrive i bought from amps back in 1980 from the T.M products factory,
in chatteris, England.
T.M Products was where the amps stuff was manufactured in the uk, in those days amps was considered pretty good stuff.
From memory i think the 1/4 scale tunnel was based on a full size seabold.
Lots of rc boats using the large scale 2 stroke outboard used to race in londons docklands.
They never were a match for the high powered glow engines, but they did look nice and
gave a more scale look at their slower speeds.

phill

yes the the original hull was based from a seebold hull from help from bill seebold . Agnew did make six 2 stroke scale outboards and 10 hulls . but never went into production with ( TMP AMPS UK ) , Millar Agnew got sick and that was the end for AMPS in the UK . now most of the metal casting were made in the USA , now Millar Agnew in 1987 left the US from a fall out with his investor and lost his rights to AMPS boats outboards and outdrives till 1992 when rick van fleet got amps shut down by the FBI for running a ponzi scheme , the Fed's impounded the AMPS shop in Colorado and the molds and tolling . and now I own all the stuff from Millar and the tooling from AMPS in the US , whats left of it . im still reworking the original mold for the 1/4 seebold tunnel hull . and Wade is making the new 1/4 scale outboards . the big problem is using the new rcmk K-30 with the outboard . if you know about the K_30 you know what im taking about . now wade and I have been more focus on sst 120 racing if spent this year reworking my leecraft . and wade is setting up his new boat for next season . so i looking at mid Jan to start putting out the new AMPS 1/4 tunnel hull . here is Millar Agnew talking about his work in scale outboards http://youtu.be/sX1LbZe-UgM ... and the girl is holding the last AMPS gas outboard that Millar Agnew made before he got sick .

rckid74
05-10-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm not familiar with the Champ motor. Is it a modified chain saw engine or some kind of original design?

specialk1
05-12-2013, 09:01 PM
it is based off a real Mercury race outboard .. Champ / sst 120 :thumbsup:

obrien
05-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Have you been able to run the scale v6 outboard yet?

specialk1
07-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Have you been able to run the scale v6 outboard yet?
wade has been testing it ..

Unitek
07-17-2013, 12:03 AM
SpecialK - Didn't I sell you my AMPS Wellcraft Cat Hull ? Did you ever do anything with it ?

specialk1
07-17-2013, 06:38 PM
yes you did .. i still have it . i put one of my amps outboards on it , but still have not put it into the water ..

2.5-21
07-17-2013, 06:43 PM
What can I do to buy one of these?

obrien
07-17-2013, 09:09 PM
How does it seem to perform? I would love to hear it run.

toyomirage02
07-24-2013, 09:25 PM
prob bust out a heavy duty check/big wad of cash

R.grover
09-15-2013, 02:37 AM
Very kool. keep up the gd work

Nurimex
10-11-2013, 08:47 AM
i cant do the link thing, but go on youtube and type in pm1/4 scale champ motor , this guy makes 1/4 scale outboards with off shore mids, with merc cowls, then check his 5 other posts on there to see it run wicked, theres lots of other footage of this scale tunnel boat on there too

levi ledet
11-29-2013, 02:40 PM
any update on these are you selling any yet ?

phillnjack
06-13-2014, 11:18 AM
The big 1/4 scale unit that was originaly made by amps in the uk was powered by a Kawasaki 22cc
derived from a petrol strimmer .
this was ultra reliable engine that was just let down on the outdrive by weak bearings and components etc.
all the parts from amps uk were actually made in Cambridge, I picked up my first outdrive from the company.
it was called Amps before it became tmp products in the 1990'.

the idea of the new outboard from amps is a good idea, but the price is just crazy, $2000 is way too much
as your not getting much for your money.
yes it has taken a long time to make one in the first place, but with a high retail price it will never sell.

Put them up at a sensible price of around $750 to $1,000 and the company can make and sell lots of these.
lots of small profit = much larger annual profit..
In these days of economic turmoil, Amps needs to think about the future and selling their products.
its crazy to try and sell for such a high price.

unless ofcourse these 1/4 scale outboards are coming with remote electric start, electric powered trim and
electric powered jack plates ????

I like the look of these outboards, but just wonder about the quality ?
for 2 grand I would expect better than full size outboard engines.

phill

specialk1
06-15-2014, 07:58 AM
phill AMPS is not making them , Wade was using only some parts on his prototype from AMPS , now the reason Millar could not build the metal outboards was because he did not have the money like he did from Rick van fleet at AMPS international hobbies . he did the best he could working out of his house .. remember the first gas outboard was made from sand casting then made out of fiberglass . it keep the cost down . Wade scale champ outboard is custom made with a cnc machine , now look at V8 engine built by Gary Conley should he sell them for only $1,000 to fit your budget ? , but dont worry about getting one anyways he is not building they any more , he has move on to other scale engine projects .

impala
10-01-2014, 01:41 AM
amazing stuff !!!

obrien
11-25-2014, 08:30 PM
Did you ever get the scale v6 running?

accelarationstation
01-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Any update on production of 1/4 scale champ motor?

smirnoff
06-20-2015, 05:30 PM
What ever happened.....

smirnoff
06-24-2015, 03:23 PM
I'll answer my own thread - nothing, project went nowhere.

Next.

Jay C
04-02-2017, 06:08 AM
The big 1/4 scale unit that was originaly made by amps in the uk was powered by a Kawasaki 22cc
derived from a petrol strimmer .
this was ultra reliable engine that was just let down on the outdrive by weak bearings and components etc.
all the parts from amps uk were actually made in Cambridge, I picked up my first outdrive from the company.
it was called Amps before it became tmp products in the 1990'.

the idea of the new outboard from amps is a good idea, but the price is just crazy, $2000 is way too much
as your not getting much for your money.
yes it has taken a long time to make one in the first place, but with a high retail price it will never sell.

Put them up at a sensible price of around $750 to $1,000 and the company can make and sell lots of these.
lots of small profit = much larger annual profit..
In these days of economic turmoil, Amps needs to think about the future and selling their products.
its crazy to try and sell for such a high price.

unless ofcourse these 1/4 scale outboards are coming with remote electric start, electric powered trim and
electric powered jack plates ????

I like the look of these outboards, but just wonder about the quality ?
for 2 grand I would expect better than full size outboard engines.

phill

Hi Phil. I think you might ne a bit off the mark with your post. these are a solid billet lower from my understanding. I have been following wade with these for around 4 years now and have been watching the development of these engines, I too have been eagerly awaiting the release of these engine and at 2 grand they are worth it all day. Considering what Eddy De Vries charges for his lowers these are very much on the money for the quality and the attention to detail. The only other quater scale geared lower worth owning is the MHZ 1728AV which is made by Ernest Zavarsky of MHZ germany. The arrow shark lowers made in chaina are rubbish as the material is far to soft. The fellas putting the time into these engines and hulls is greatly appreciated from thise who have other quarter scale Rc items.