PDA

View Full Version : The Fun Begins

Liqui-Fly
12-05-2002, 09:14 PM
When I purchased the Fly in 2000 the boat was in rough shape in certain areas. The rear portion around the transom was fliied with water logged foam. I removed most of this and simply wished that the rest of the hull wasn't filled with wet foam. Well after 2 motor purchases and stepping up to a 2.5 this summer it became aparent that the hull was carrying more weight than it should be. So this winters project is to get all the foam out of the boat and lighten the boat up where possible. The Fly is also getting some new knees and stringers as well as a few suprises. Here are the picks from the first day of demo. Not only was the plywood floor saturated above the sponsons (very heavy) but the foam at the midway point was also very wet. This work required a circular saw, Sawzall, respirator, and goggles.

The complete library of pictures will be in my gallery on the forum homepage.

David

Liqui-Fly
12-05-2002, 09:15 PM

Liqui-Fly
12-05-2002, 09:19 PM
In the center and filled to the brim in each sponson. This is all wet. I'm not sure how far it runs foward in the center sponson but I would guess it's all the way. The ski locker is getting removed, for good, so access will be easy under the bow.

Liqui-Fly
12-05-2002, 09:23 PM
I've already been in here once but instead of redesigning the thing I went ahead and re-did what was done at the factory to accomodate the gas tank I already had. Big mistake. The distance between the knees is too far apart and they run along the top of the tunnels. This time the knees will be ~20 inches apart and tied into the new stringers in the center pod. Other changes will be made in the area of flooring ect.

RONNIE
12-05-2002, 10:00 PM
keep cutting! You better make it extra light if you think you'll be able to catch me!

bulldogdaddy
12-06-2002, 03:54 AM
and i thought i did alot of work on my first demo day!you really got alot of work done. keep up the great job.

eautosales
12-06-2002, 07:55 PM
i should just deliver the stream to you & let ya go to town:D

jjones2
12-06-2002, 08:35 PM
You did all that in one day...no wonder you're losing weight

Reese
12-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Looks like a good start...interested in seeing any tricks you have up your sleeve.

Oh I almost forgot...when you get finished redoing the boat, make sure you put the same 2.5 back on and see if your work improved preformance...

Remember no cheating...you can't even change the plugs.:D

Liqui-Fly
12-09-2002, 09:51 AM
Wow this sucked. Under 20 degrees out and had to take the heavy clothes off so I'd fit. Cut the ski locker out and got some pieces of the flooring out.

David

Liqui-Fly
12-09-2002, 09:51 AM

What you see here is foam...tunnel top and foam. The hose is the drain to my beer cooler. It is disconnected from a thru hull on the side of the boat.

Scott
12-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Yer goin to town on the rebuild!

Is the boat on a trailer? Inside? Yor are going to r&r stringers? Going to follow this project closely! Thanks for postin!

Scott

Liqui-Fly
12-09-2002, 01:48 PM
Boat is on the trailer in a tempory shelter in my backyard. Real nice hehe. R and R the stringers?? Don't know what you mean.

David

Scott
12-09-2002, 02:33 PM
I re-read...You are going to remove and replace (R&R) the stringers. I really wanted to dig deeper into the Baja but got scared when I was I was told a horror story about the hull twisting once the floor and stringers were out. I got the feeling the Baja isn't the last project boat for us, so going watch, listen and learn!

Liqui-Fly
12-09-2002, 02:39 PM
But putting additional stringers in that tie into the new knee braces. It should be pretty interesting. The knees and stringers will be built in the woodshop this winter and the entire system will be installed in one piece in the spring. Stringer/knee sytem will hold a 25 gallon tank, battery box and trim pumps.

David

vtrocket
12-09-2002, 05:44 PM
fly i just finshed removing the foam out of my vt rocket and the middle and both side sponsons are filled up with foam from front to back. it does feel a little lighter with it out though. good luck.

Liqui-Fly
12-09-2002, 08:50 PM
My floor and foam has tons of water. Would like to see some pictures if you have any. Keep in touch.

David

bulldogdaddy
12-09-2002, 09:19 PM
my whole bow area under my deck is foam filled and have to get it out to check all the glass and deck supports.all dry even under the rear floor. i'm going to foam fill the bow area just for safety reasons.my company has a polyureathane foam machine that will come in very handy for this!

Liqui-Fly
12-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Put that crap back in my boat for all the money in the word. I'll put a homing beacon on her or maybe a turn buoy under the bow but no more foam. Or if you really feel like doing it filla trasg bag with the stiff and stick it under the box....don't spray it right into the hull.

David

vtrocket
12-10-2002, 07:35 PM
fly about midway to the nose the foam was pretty wet after that there was a little dampness in the foam the rest of the way to the nose. sorry no photos dont have a digital camera.

PhastBoat
12-11-2002, 01:30 PM
Put a truck inner tube in the bow.:D Filled the Helium
Dont mess up that beer cooler, gunna need that.;)

Liqui-Fly
12-11-2002, 01:46 PM
I don't think I'll need the light gas though.:D

David

bulldogdaddy
12-11-2002, 03:33 PM
whats wrong with the foam? i know from having to tear off a roof they made with this stuff it's not a good roofing material,but would help keep the boat afloat if my transom work isn't the best. seeing i haven't done this before!

Liqui-Fly
12-11-2002, 03:41 PM
That's pretty good. After having dug some wet stuff out and still having more to do I couldn't imagine going through it again. There are other alternatives. If you have to why not spray it up under the deck...it should cling or use another method of floatation like rigid foam panels strapped under the bow. The stuff on the floor will get water and will get saturated.

David

bulldogdaddy
12-11-2002, 03:54 PM
now i've used low rise foam adhesive for installing roof insulation to concrete decks.and you might have a good idea. i could tape a peice of plywood in place to keep the foam from closing in the whole bow area. got to be careful that stuff expands like crazy.and if it doesn't have a excape route it will split your boat in half!

Liqui-Fly
12-20-2002, 11:18 AM
Finally stopped being a tool and called a local lumber yard for the Okume. The boat builder I found was three hours a way and has been absent from his shop.Their price was as good as I'd found without crazy shipping on top of it. Also my Allison style seats with glitterflake are finished but I won't pick them up until next month. They are in CT; plus I need to visit the shop anyway. The temp is above 40 today so I may get some more work done this weekend.

David

jjones2
12-20-2002, 02:40 PM
How can people live in that....We're going to the river again on sunday...supposed to get into the 70s

Liqui-Fly
01-08-2003, 09:26 AM
But the Steelers survived the first week of the playoffs. We have had over two feet of snow in the last week also but UPS keeps trucking. I got a shipment this week which includes balsa core, vinyl foam, vacuum bagging supplies, kevlar and carbon fiber. The lumber yard hasn't received the okume yet. Come on warm (above 45 degrees) weather!!

David

Liqui-Fly
02-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Does driving to MA to pick up seats count as work?? It's 45 degrees here today but it's only a tease. The neighbors cat has piss soaked my hooch so I'm really looking foward to getting back at it. I've herard the only way to get rid of the smell is to soak the piss soaked area with cat blood.:mad:

Reese
02-22-2003, 12:40 AM
but I feel for ya...**** it's barely 45 when I go skiing in Mammoth...I suppose you could still try and fabricate some of the pieces in you work shop like the knee braces etc...:confused:

EXSTREAM EH!
03-15-2003, 10:40 PM
David You better make it realy light. You know that gold flake stuff is realy heavy. Don't use to much or it might look like a cheap dinner!:D Good luck with the project.
EXTREAM EH!

wing nut
03-30-2003, 10:45 PM
hey fly hows ur boat comming along?? is it gonna be ready for the romp?

scott

Liqui-Fly
04-24-2003, 01:40 PM
Well I'm finally letting go of my POS 87 VW Scirocco that has been taking up space in my garage for the entire winter. I have one more project to finish and then I'll be back on the boat exclusively. We'll have everything from thermo formed vinyl foam panels, balsa coring and flooring, gel coat, and woodworking. Ahh yes two months to the romp. I wonder how much will be done by then?

David

Liqui-Fly
05-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Since my Sawzall and grinder didn't come in the mail this week I decided to work on other portions of the project that I had the tools for.

Liqui-Fly
05-04-2003, 08:47 PM
I managed to blow through one sheet. Nice and light; easy to toss around.

Liqui-Fly
05-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Fuel tank and battery will go here. Stringers have to be bonded before assembling all the parts.

eautosales
05-04-2003, 08:52 PM
wow fly nice work! when ya finish ill send ya my boat & ill mail u a check:D

jmdank
05-04-2003, 09:01 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capt.Insane-o
05-05-2003, 01:38 AM
Sweet job.

B.Mac
05-06-2003, 04:57 AM
Now that's some real craftsmanship there........
Beautiful job Fly............I'm impressed!!!
B.MAC:D

Looks like you could put some stainless steel rails on the bottom of those stringers and take that thing for one heck of a test ride down a bobsled chute:eek: ;) :p

Liqui-Fly
05-06-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm putting a bottom on it and strapping my 10 horse on. You wouldn't believe how light the entire assembly is.

David

Instigator
05-08-2003, 09:22 AM
Freagin awesome job dude!!
Mine looks like a piece of steaming dog **** compared to that thing!!
My hats off tot you for spending the $$$ on the Okume. Tuff to stomach but definately spoils you when you use it.
I am very impressed with the original construction of your boat from ther factory too.
I had a late 80's 20' I/O Stratos Cuddy that was one of the best built boats I ever owned.
You will have an awesome rig when completed!
Keep up the great work.
I continue to be blown away by some of the projects on this board.
I have driven "LaserModVee's" dads boat which is near identical to yours and it is a great hull with a ton of potential.
Keep it up Fly, great work!!
Gary

EXSTREAM EH!
05-10-2003, 07:04 AM
Hey David How many dogs do you think it will take to pull that sled? I think it will be faster if you put runners on it :D :D .

Very nice work man! Are u gunna do a metal flake job on it to?;)

EXSTREAM EH! Gone:D

Liqui-Fly
05-12-2003, 07:23 AM
You gonna be having flake nightmares after the Romp......I don't know how many dogs but I believe it's around 260 horses.

David

heath brinkley
05-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Good work David, can't wait to see how it turns out.

EXSTREAM EH!
05-13-2003, 12:05 PM
VERY COOL David. Your rig is going to be so light now. You will need to get it regestered as a light plane:D :D Can't wait to checK it out. And NO I don't want ANY more Flakes for a wile;)

Liqui-Fly
05-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Have just about all the foam out now. I';ve got 2 areas where some extra reach is needed. These were 30 gallon pails. I finally got at it with the Sawzall. I have one of the new Porter cables with the adjustable head. It's a dream in tight spots. A 12 inch blade and a cats paw to dig it out. I also cut out the rear deck and part of the old stringers...the rotten part. The foam was very wet and there was standing water once I popped it out. It was definitely in the foam though...no mildew or stench which I thought was strange. The core looked good amazingly enough. I have to vacuum the snot out of it and then give it a nice Dawn bath, dry and then grind grind grind. Stringers are all tabbed together so I just need to drop them in and bond them.

David

Tom D.
05-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Cool! It won't be long now!!!

Tom

EXSTREAM EH!
05-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Dave I bet the only foam you want to see for a wile is in a glass of BEER! Hope you get it done. I can't wait to see it. Are you going to flow coat all that nice lookin wood?

Liqui-Fly
05-27-2003, 08:04 AM
Well tabbed in atleast. It was sooooo cold it took forever to get the epoxy into the cloth. I did some reiniforcement behind each tunnel with some this end grain balsa and glass and tabbed the stringers and knees to the transom. Love the biaxial with mat backing. I think I'll pre soak the rest through because it took a lot to saturate the cloth. Everything fit pretty good considering it was all assembled in the garage. The biggest gap was around 1/4". Hopefully I'l;l get some pictures tonight.

David

jmdank
05-27-2003, 07:51 PM
I sure am interested to see what it looks like at this point!

Liqui-Fly
05-28-2003, 09:05 AM
It was raining again last night and I didn't feel like snapping shots. It cured hard and strong and it's only tabbed in. Oh baby I'm gonna put twins on!!

David

Liqui-Fly
05-29-2003, 07:43 AM

Liqui-Fly
05-29-2003, 07:44 AM

Liqui-Fly
05-29-2003, 07:45 AM

jmdank
05-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Keep up the good work man:D Wish I was that far:rolleyes:
-Jason

Reese
05-29-2003, 11:45 AM
but why is the top of the knee brace sticking over the top of the deck...what ya doing back there.:)

Liqui-Fly
05-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Putting in a little hump with a few nice lines and such:D

at100plus
05-29-2003, 11:49 AM
You're going to town! Looks like your doing a nice job.

175checkmate
05-29-2003, 10:52 PM
Playing thread catch, Great work. Nice and light.

Ro Yale
05-31-2003, 05:19 PM
Man it's about time to go to the water for yous guys right? Good looking job. If you wet that biaxle on a table with a 3/8 nap roller it gets soaked a little easier. Coarse down here it's so f..n' hot that I don't have much of a viscosity problem. Keep up the work and talk to ya later.
Later, Ro:D :cool: :D :cool:

Liqui-Fly
06-04-2003, 08:12 AM
I wrote quite a bit last night but don't have time today. Bonded stringers with 4" Kyntex with West System filleting blend going down first. The Kyntex doewsn't go clear like other cloths so it is a little scary getting it satrated. Very strong bond resulted though so I am happy.

Rear florr section is Okume. It will be tabbed into place and laminated top and bottom. Not the custom cut outs and how thay match the stringers:cool: Wish the second stringer didn't show through. Should have made the cutouts smaller.. Still looking good though.

Liqui-Fly
06-04-2003, 08:14 AM

Liqui-Fly
06-04-2003, 08:16 AM
This is 1/8th" closed cell vinyl foam. I pressed in the countour and heated it with a gun. It holds shape after heating. It was dark out so I got it a little hot in spots.

Liqui-Fly
06-04-2003, 08:32 AM
I'll get some soppy cloth and lay it over the foam. Pull it off and laminate the backside. Hopefully there won't be too much involved in getting the waves out.

David

Reese
06-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Hopefully the weather will cooperate...

That contour on the back fairing section will be somewhat difficult to get smooth with one thin sheet of foam. One thing you may want to try that has worked for me on complex shapes is to use insulating fiber board (rigid insulation). It comes in 4x8 sheets and is pretty inexpensive. You can cut and stack these sheets to form a rough block shape that can be easily shapped using a surform file.

This stuff is nice to work with because polyester or epoxy does not dissolve it. You can then drape your cloth or foam over it and the shape will be almost perfectly uniformed.

You may already be past this stage, but it might be useful for other projects.

heath brinkley
06-04-2003, 12:39 PM
when you go to the store is that what you ask for "insulating fiber board" or does it have a name? and from the sound of it, I would think you could get it at Home Depot?

Reese
06-04-2003, 12:58 PM
not sure why I said fiber...

It's called rigid foam insulation and yes, I get it at home depot.

heath brinkley
06-04-2003, 01:17 PM
do you recall who makes it?

Liqui-Fly
06-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Polyisocyanurate sheets. It sands easily.

http://www.fibreglast.com/products.php?session=d7ea95dbb433aa7c83e3e5d367fab3bf&area=14&PHPSESSID=d7ea95dbb433aa7c83e3e5d367fab3bf

David

Reese
06-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Johns Manville, but not 100% sure.

jmdank
06-04-2003, 08:22 PM
you are doing great job man! sure wish I was that far along.

Liqui-Fly
06-05-2003, 01:54 PM
Some like it some hate it. Damn Extreme EH sent me down the path of the glitter. Just two colors. Shame to chuck the old stuff. It was in fair condition...just heavy.

heath brinkley
06-05-2003, 02:20 PM
GLITTER RULES!!!!!:cool:

heath brinkley
06-05-2003, 02:22 PM
BTW where did you get the samples, I need some glitter upholsterey for some old bar stools for the garage.

Liqui-Fly
06-05-2003, 02:24 PM
They have all kinds of colors. I considered, briefly, to do the whole thing, red and gold, in the flake.

http://www.garysupholstery.com/products.html

heath brinkley
06-05-2003, 02:54 PM
cool !!!

Liqui-Fly
06-11-2003, 09:34 AM
Fuel tank floor is in as well as the rear floor. Have part of the rear fairing area in. Need to do a lot of body work there. That will have to wait. Getting there...slowly but surely.

David

Liqui-Fly
06-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Sorry. I've been so pre-occupied with getting it together that pictures have taken a back seat. The boat ran a solid 85 this weekend with some left. I'm able to run much higfher transom heights now and am considering going to a 15" mid because the jackplate is almost all the way up and the boat is still being carried. The acceleration is about 10X greater and it carries a passenger much better. I never finished the end grain balsa floor so that is next followed by the rear seat. Once all that is finished the flake will go on.

David

heath brinkley
06-24-2003, 08:36 PM
85 with some left....now thats what I'm talkin' 'bout.

sounds like your going to reach your goal.

The DTV is a keeper.:D

Liqui-Fly
06-25-2003, 08:16 AM
It' needs lots of plastic surgery now and some paint. I guess I'll probably finish the floor this summer and the rest of the funny stuff over the winter. It's time to boat.

heath brinkley
06-25-2003, 02:38 PM
it's past time to boat.