PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys from the South ????

woodco
12-01-2002, 04:13 PM
Whats the story behind these Carp ???? Looks like they could
really do some damage to a fish habitat ...... :(

Here's an article I just found .....

Alien fish threatening Lake Ontario
They have been nicknamed alien fish, huge Asian carp said to be five-feet long, weighing 100 hundred pounds with nasty attitudes. Biologists say they escaped from an Arkansas fish farm in 1994 after it flooded They have been wreaking havoc on eco-systems ever since and now it looks like they might invade Lake Ontario.

The fish are getting closer to our area. Last year one of the Asian carp was caught in Lake Erie. Biologists say they have been moving north from Arkansas at a rate of 40 to 50 miles a year. The fish have now been spotted in 18 states and game experts say Lake Ontario could be next. “I believe Illinois has one or two people out on workmen's compensation that were doing some research and got hit with these fish that can range up to one hundred pounds. So, you get a hundred pound fish flying at ya, it could hurt,” said Fish Biologist Webster Pearsall.
But Pearsall says unlike the snakehead fish the Asian carp cannot walk short distances. However the carp has been able to navigate up the Mississippi River and it's tributaries. Asian carp have not been found in Lake Ontario, but Pearsall says it's probably just a matter of time. “Once they're in the canal system it's kind of hard to keep them out of any of the lakes.”
Pearsall says that is very bad news because the carp is a big-eater. It can out-compete other fish for food. If that were to happen in Lake Ontario, the number of bass, walleye and other native fish will go down.
Asian carp females can lay one million eggs, so they could easily over-populate the lake, like Zebra Mussels did in the early 1990's.
So what’s being done? NEWS 10NBC found out it's a big concern for the State of New York as well as the Great Lakes Fishery Commission, an organization that monitors both U.S. and Canadian water issues. Pearsall says the groups are watching the effectiveness of an electronic barrier. “The theory is the fish will feel the electricity and basically turn around and go south.”

One of those barriers is being used in a canal in Chicago.
If you are interested in learning more about the Asian carp or have questions about other fish issues, Pearsall and others from the Department of Environmental Conservation will be at RIT on January 14th. They will be answering questions from 6:00 p.m. To 10:00 p.m. in Ingle Auditorium.

WharfRat
12-04-2002, 10:29 AM
The only carp trouble we have around here (that I'm aware of ) is grass carp, they eat all the vegitation which depletes the oxygen in the water. They have developed a few different ways of eliminating them, depending on the size of the body of water

woodco
12-11-2002, 07:18 PM
We have regular Carp up here that grow up to 40 some lbs but
seeing a 100 pounder ??? :eek:

I've been an avid L.Ontario fisherman and back in the late 80's
if ya couldn't catch a fish then ya didn't belong on the water.The
fish where so abundent .... Then they cut the stocking volume
down !!!! Hardly any fish and if there is no fish then no guys
spending money to fish.... Hurt alot of towns that relied on fishing
as income.So they boost the stocking and we had a big baitfish
kill !!!! No food no Fish !!!! Then the Zebra mussels really started to overpopulate .... They cleaned the water of any algea that was ever named ..... And now they are taliking about these mutant Carp !!!! :confused:

It's like the whole eco system will never stabilize !!!! :rolleyes:

I wonder whats next ... No water ???? :eek:

Wile E. Coyote
12-11-2002, 07:32 PM
If I aint mistaken those are the same carp that they catch for food over in one of them dang countries, vietnam/korea/china somethin like that. Them suckers can get 300 lbs or more. Havent heard much about them in south florida tho.... When I left a couple of months ago the big concern was some catfish/eel type thing that is supposed to be the armageddon of the everglades....