PDA

View Full Version : painting the floor

Steven
11-26-2002, 10:36 PM
i have read fredsavs post about gelcoating the floor. i really want to take out the carpet and paint mine. is gelcoat the only thing that looks right? has anyone done anything different? i even thought about bedliner spray,if its not too heavy. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks steven

vector mike
11-26-2002, 11:04 PM
I have used two different types of floor coating before. I tried gel coat and Kilz primer/sealer. I like the Kilz better because it is easier to apply and works just as well as the gel coat. However the gel coat is a gloss finish and the Kilz is a flat finish. :)

fredsav
11-27-2002, 08:50 AM
THINK SURFACE PREP!!!! If I can save someone else a few brain cells and aggravation then I will be happy!! Maybe even test a square foot area to make sure.

Steven
11-27-2002, 09:16 AM
fredsav, was your problem mainly the glue? i have been told to make sure to get it all off before you start.vector mike, the kilz sounds like something i can do. i painted some panelling in my house and used kilz first, worked good. i think were talking about the same stuff here. how was it applied, sprayed or rolled on. thanks guys, steven

fredsav
11-27-2002, 09:38 AM
We could come up with. The strange part is that , if using a brush or roller, you can contaminate you whole batch and spread it to other areas. Removing all traces of glue is next to impossible on an uneven surface. The solutin seems to be to sand and then acetone the floor, then give it a good layer of pure resin with microballons. Then you will be safe to gelcoat. May the force be with you. If it doesn't cure call me, I have another solution. It involves virgins, volcanoes and decapitated chickens.

vector mike
11-27-2002, 03:12 PM
Preperation is the key to a good paint job. I wiped mine down with acetone and then brushed it on. :)

Steven
11-27-2002, 03:48 PM
Mike, sounds good to me. thanks,steven

Techno
11-27-2002, 03:59 PM
I'm using marine cloth and closed cell foam for the floor. Haven't done it yet so don't know how it holds out. Easier to keep clean than a rug but should look better than paint.

THe 1/4" foam is grooved every 6" and the cloth glued down in these gaps. For a pleated look.

kspradling
11-27-2002, 04:18 PM
Hi,

It isn't a hipo boat however, I used Rhinotop from the RotDoctor on my Glastron TriHull floor. It is a tough one part paint with sand in it for traction. Kinda expensive however, it is easy to apply and touch up. Put it down over plywood treated with their CPES as a primer. Supposed to be virtually waterproof. Lots of info on their site concerning floor covering on boats.

Just my $0.02 worth. I've been told I have more money than sense though!

CrayzKirk

typhoon
11-28-2002, 04:23 AM
Heat guns work great on contact cement. You heat an area till it loses adhesion(you'll know when you see it, sort of bubbles off the surface), then wire brush it right off. You won't harm the fibreglass.
I do this stuff often enough to know it sucks! Imagine doing that to an enitre forward stateroom in a large motoryacht, with bugger all lighting, and one tiny hatch for ventilation!

Regards, Andrew.