PDA

View Full Version : Best way to scrub bottom of a tunnel hull & wax

Liberator*21
08-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Need to get under my Liberator and give it a good scrub'n & wax job. Any recommendations on best method, tools, chemicals etc. and best way to get it up high enough, what kind of stands to support it and leave it there for awhile to make it easy enough to do not having to lay on your back, sitting down would work......thx

specboatops
08-16-2011, 10:11 AM
PAy someone to do it....while you drink a beer and supervise :):):)

Liberator*21
08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
PAy someone to do it....while you drink a beer and supervise :):):)

Thx Chris, If there was ever a reply that I expected, it would certainly have been from you..........LMAO that was priceless !!!!!!!!!!!!!

(That is an option I planned on as a back up ;)....., we've got lots of labor around here without Green Cards that'll work cheap...:reddevil::thumbsup:....)

specboatops
08-16-2011, 11:05 AM
On a serious note I just got done doing mine....the way you described NOT wanting to do it.....on my back for about 3 hours ...wax on.....wax off.
I have read where some opinions say do not wax the bottom of your boat....maybe if it is an ultra lite boat....but I doubt it matters on my big girl :):)
Always seems to run better when she's good and clean. Good luck and let me know what you come up with.
Great job for an alien too;)

Chris

Liberator*21
08-16-2011, 11:13 AM
On a serious note I just got done doing mine....the way you described NOT wanting to do it.....on my back for about 3 hours ...wax on.....wax off.
I have read where some opinions say do not wax the bottom of your boat....maybe if it is an ultra lite boat....but I doubt it matters on my big girl :):)
Always seems to run better when she's good and clean. Good luck and let me know what you come up with.
Great job for an alien too;)

Chris

10-4 on that..........

It needs a good scrub'n more than anything.......

Euro Muscle
08-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Heres my home booy way of doing it.:D

Liberator*21
08-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Now that looks like a great set up with even more room to go higher......thx. What's the up right material, 4 x 4's w/a 2 x 6 cross beam and 2 x 4 feet ???

Euro Muscle
08-16-2011, 01:05 PM
you got it :thumbsup: dont forget the safety lines

Liberator*21
08-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Got'cha on the safety slings, thanks allot for the pics and info.

Brad Zastrow
08-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Acid wash and sand paper the last three feet (I am serious). Waxing will slow the boat down. Big no-no. Smooth is slow. Water sticks to your freshly waxed car right? You want water to break loose. Muratic acid cut with water 50-50 will make most bottoms look new with very little effort. Keep the wax for the deck of the boat only.

specboatops
08-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Acid wash and sand paper the last three feet (I am serious). Waxing will slow the boat down. Big no-no. Smooth is slow. Water sticks to your freshly waxed car right? You want water to break loose. Muratic acid cut with water 50-50 will make most bottoms look new with very little effort. Keep the wax for the deck of the boat only.
Brad even on a heavier rig ? does waxing it really make that much difference ? I forgot to mention I used the Muratic 50/50 too and agree it does a great job. 600 grit on the sanding ?

Chris

GamblerSS
08-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Brad even on a heavier rig ? does waxing it really make that much difference ? I forgot to mention I used the Muratic 50/50 too and agree it does a great job. 600 grit on the sanding ?

Chris, are you getting ready to lay down some speed runs this weekend at Koshkonong? Looking for that last little bit eh? Why not run her into a sand bar at 35 or so...should be close to 600 grit wet sanded - and you'll have it done in a fraction of the time.

Gary, I don't have anything constructive to add to this thread - sorry - just wanted to bust Chris' chops a little since we run the same G boat and his is faster...I think.

JWTjr.
08-17-2011, 09:02 PM
weight makes no difference...clean and wet sand, no wax.

transomstand
08-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Launch in a swimming pool with Oxyclean (use the neighbors pool)

specboatops
08-18-2011, 06:24 AM

Chris, are you getting ready to lay down some speed runs this weekend at Koshkonong? Looking for that last little bit eh? Why not run her into a sand bar at 35 or so...should be close to 600 grit wet sanded - and you'll have it done in a fraction of the time.

Gary, I don't have anything constructive to add to this thread - sorry - just wanted to bust Chris' chops a little since we run the same G boat and his is faster...I think.

Hahaha I'll keep my eyes peeled for a sand bar....I like easy :):) Not so sure on the faster part ..... maybe faster being towed down the high way.
You still planing on going Chris ? Weather is looking iffy..........

HStream1
08-18-2011, 07:11 AM

:iagree:. Look at it like a cold sweaty glass of beer sitting on a bar.What happens when you try to pick it up? It's actually sucked itself to the bar. A lighty scuffed bottom with say 400 wet sand is faster!!!!!!!

GamblerSS
08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Hahaha I'll keep my eyes peeled for a sand bar....I like easy :):) Not so sure on the faster part ..... maybe faster being towed down the high way.
You still planing on going Chris ? Weather is looking iffy..........

Chris,

Not looking too good for me. I could run around on the lake from about 8-11:30 but have other plans in the afternoon that I need to be home for. The races don't start until noon. The weather forecast calls for thunderstorms on Saturday. If we can't meet up this weekend, why don't you head up here to Lake WI maybe one of the next couple weekends or a weekday or something. I've only got about 25 minutes of run time on the boat this year.

specboatops
08-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Chris,

Not looking too good for me. I could run around on the lake from about 8-11:30 but have other plans in the afternoon that I need to be home for. The races don't start until noon. The weather forecast calls for thunderstorms on Saturday. If we can't meet up this weekend, why don't you head up here to Lake WI maybe one of the next couple weekends or a weekday or something. I've only got about 25 minutes of run time on the boat this year.

Will do, let's get in touch and see what we can come up with. I have only had my boat out 4 times this year.....2 of those times I could not even get it to plane:(:mad::(
She's back on her game now though........ we'll have to see who is what :):)