PDA

View Full Version : lay up question???

2.5-21
11-25-2002, 10:50 PM
laying up an r/c boat approx. 48" the hull and deck have very complex corners and curves is there any mat or cloth that is better than others what has anyone here used? the 3/4 ounce mat just seems to get air under it and wont stay in the corners any help would be apreciated

AlaskaStreamin
11-26-2002, 11:25 AM
One idea would be to mix up some chopped strand and "spooge" it in the corners. Then you can lay the mat and cloth over that. I get the chop strand in quart containers. It looks like long grain rice (but about 1" long). Mix it with your resin or epoxy to a frosting like consistancy.

Liqui-Fly
11-26-2002, 11:32 AM
It is much lighter but will hold it togehter.

Reese
11-26-2002, 02:32 PM
Assuming you are using polester laminating resin...

When ever I have to apply fiberglass to a complcated shape I usually use this method which works pretty well.

Apply the resin and let it set up (wait an hour or two) the resin will be hard with a sticky surface. Apply the cloth or matt dry with a brush making sure all the fiberglass gets into the corners etc. Once you are satisfied with the coverage, go ahead and apply fresh resin over the fiberglass.

Techno
11-26-2002, 06:30 PM
They sell powders for mixing with resins. Milled glass would be the ticket for spooging.
You could try vacuum bagging.

http://www.acp-composites.com/
Has some light wieght stuff. Tape down to 1.4 oz and other stuff for modeling.

Hooty
11-26-2002, 06:41 PM
I use talc to fill the resin and kinda radius the sharp corners. Reese's method is good. I wouldn't even attempy to use mat. I'd use severeal layers of real light-weight cloth.

c/6

Hooty

2.5-21
11-26-2002, 07:05 PM
what weights do the real light clothes come in? by the way i did use a mix to fill in all the tight areas i was looking for light mat when i break up the 3/4 by pulling it apart it works real well sounds good keep the ideas coming maybe some contacts to purchase from

Techno
11-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Body filler uses talc for a filler. BONDO.
Uni directional fibers might lay a bit better but would need some biasing.

Liqui-Fly
11-27-2002, 09:59 AM
Fillers will untimately add too much weight to an RC boat. A fillet would have to be relatively large to get good bonding. Don't know thew weigght of the veil mat.
Visit www.fibreglast.com they sell it and might be able to tell you.

David

Techno
11-27-2002, 04:06 PM
Could go with micro balloons or spheres for light wieght. I'm thinking you only use it to graduate the hard turns, shouldn't take much.
Using too much mat like the veil stuff will be heavy too. Mat has a high resin content so you would switch to cloth as soon as possible.

Kevlar and graphite are alternatives too for the bulk of the laminate.