PDA

View Full Version : Stinger vs regular service engine

David_L6
11-22-2002, 04:15 PM
What differences are there between the powerheads of the Stinger engines and the regular production fishin' motors?

While hunting OMC 3 cyl parts for a buddy of mine I saw a cowling that said Hustler (I think). I'm not very familiar with OMC engines at all, but I think I remember reading somewhere that the Hustler was Evinrudes equivalent of the Johnson Stinger. Is that correct?

Mark75H
11-22-2002, 08:56 PM
That's correct, the 75hp short Evinrude wore the Hustler graphics. The blue just wasn't the same as the bright orange.

QUICKSILVER
11-22-2002, 09:49 PM
I had a 1972 Johnson 70hp that was painted orange and white. It said THE MEAN MACHINE on the mid section, all factory colors and decals. If you looked up the sr# it would say that it was a 65hp. I think it was what they called the stinger a year or two later. I don't know if it had any thing different internal or not.

Mark75H
11-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Actually I wasn't aware of any differences between the Stinger powerhead and the nonStinger powerhead.

Can anyone tell me what a Formula E OMC is? It is listed as a 3 cylinder 49ci some years.

Raceman
11-22-2002, 11:22 PM
In the 3 cyl stuff, I also always thought the powerheads were the same within a given model year. I thought the only differences were in mid section length and availability of a different gearcase.

Laker
11-23-2002, 12:08 PM
I understood one year, I think the 73 Stinger 75hp was a different motor.?

Backfire
11-23-2002, 03:29 PM
When these engines came out, the only difference was the graphics. AT least that is what we salesmen were told. Same lower unit and all, just orange-Johnson. Later models got some goodies and the small unit on the short shaft. Best hp claimed on a modified I heard was 110, don't have a clue if that was accurite or not. Joe Burgess (Big Orange Marine, Gallatin, TN) was the factory driver for Paul Allison and ran a extra port engine a year before they came out on the market. Joe also ran Stingers on Allisons vees. I think he took a brief try at the Allison tunnel but blew it over, as a lot of people did, and stayed with the vees 'til his death. It was the end of the party for the 50hp Mercs when these engines started turning left.
Backfire ;)

Mark75H
11-23-2002, 05:07 PM
Yeah, that would be the "CC" engine on the other thread. Reedcages around in front of the crank and reeds from the V-8.

I think the Q of this thread just related to the gearshift motors.

Look at the Super C thread for an image of a Mod50 "CC" engine from the front....a little different from a "Stinger"

Checkmate Too
11-24-2002, 08:14 AM
:confused:

Raceman
11-24-2002, 08:53 AM
Checkmate, OMC used the "Stinger" designation not only on their race stuff, but production stuff as well on their Johnson engines. As far as I know (and my OMC knowledge is weak) the first time it was used was on the 4 cyl race motor of the early 70's. Their hottest V4 race motor ever was the Stinger GP, which was the second design 4 cyl Stinger and featured 8 carb venturi's (also nicknamed 8 barrel Stinger), a mid with above water exhaust, a small, non shifftable race gearcase (1:1???????) The 4 cyl Stinger and Stinger GP race motors and Evinrude equivalents of Strangler and Super Strangler. Although Johnson continued to use the Stinger name on later engines from full race to production stuff, as far as I know Evinrude didn't use the Strangler name again after the V4's, calling thier later stuff Hustler and CC, CCC etc.

The 3 cyl looper engines of the 70's also carried the Stinger designation in both production and full race configurations. This is an ad published in 1975.

Jeff_G
11-24-2002, 05:43 PM
All of the motors raced in Sport E and E Production, the 49.9 were the same as the fishing motors. That was one benifit to running the class. I had a dealer that would regularly supply me with new powerheads at a discount that customers ordered but never picked up.
The Mercurys of the same era used in the J classes the 1500 and 150XS did have differences although they were also sold to the general public. If you wanted a short shaft back then you got a xs.

David_L6
11-24-2002, 09:32 PM
Your info has cleared up some questions I had.

Does anyone know for sure which motor had the carbs that have 3 jets (low, *intermediate*, and high)? Is it also the largest, or same size as the largest, one barrel carb that OMC istalled on the 49.9 cube motors?

MODIFIEDOUTBOARD
12-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Carbs 1.5" dia throats/ 1.25" dia venturi.(Same size as 45ss)
Portiming was also slightly different from 75hp stinger vs 70hp triple.

2us70
12-21-2002, 12:36 PM
Backfire. 1970 was the end of the line for the 50 Mercs in the E class. Mercury had one more run at it in 73. Bobby Drewery won nationals at Eufala AL. driving for Paul Angel. Yours truly was second. We were running the 3 cyl. 65s then. The next year OMC bumped up the power and that ended Merc's run in E. APBA then changed the D class to include the 50s. This gave new life to the D class as well as those of us with suitable equipment to run in it.

Travis Fulton
12-21-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by David_L6
Your info has cleared up some questions I had.

Does anyone know for sure which motor had the carbs that have 3 jets (low, *intermediate*, and high)? Is it also the largest, or same size as the largest, one barrel carb that OMC istalled on the 49.9 cube motors? david i have also heard of a carb w/ 3 jets but not seen any yet! i had been told that 60 sst carbs had 3 jets but recently purchased a set and they only have 2 (idle and fuel) would like to know if there was a carb that had 3 jets or not?????? :confused:

MODIFIEDOUTBOARD
12-21-2002, 09:37 PM
1975 75 hp Stinger and 45ss had three circuit carbs idle, transition and main jet carbs.

David_L6
12-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Travis Fulton
david i have also heard of a carb w/ 3 jets but not seen any yet! i had been told that 60 sst carbs had 3 jets but recently purchased a set and they only have 2 (idle and fuel) would like to know if there was a carb that had 3 jets or not?????? :confused:

Travis, they DO exist. I've seen them.
I finally found a set. I'm not sure what motor they originally came on though. The number on these carbs is: 326929. The other numbers I've been given as being the 3 jet carbs are: 326951, 328707, and 329707.

Jimboat
12-21-2002, 11:34 PM
Don't forget the Mercury 49.9 ci 650XS engine. Many of these ran head-to-head with the OMC 75 Stinger/Stranglers.

Raceman
12-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Jim, I didn't realize that the 650XS was legal for EP & ES. I can only remember seeing a very few of em run, and seems like there were always 850's in the same class. Could've been just backyard rules or step ups I guess.

My memory of the races back then was that the 3 cyl OMC's dominated every class they were legal in. Being Merc fanatics, we usually went to the concession stand when they put those classes in the water so we wouldn't have to watch the killin'.

Travis Fulton
12-22-2002, 10:02 AM
does anybody have a set of (3) 3 circuit carbs for sale?? would like to try a set, ;)

Hydrovector
12-22-2002, 12:06 PM
Wasn't legal in the US. We used to go race in Canada and they were legal there. The 650x had three carbs. the 650 only had two carbs. It had to be a production based motor with the minumim of 1500 units produced. I also thing it help with most of the APBA board members being from OMC.

Mark75H
12-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Hydrovector, don't forget there were 4 Merc triples: std fishing motor 2 carb 650, the sporty 3 carb 650xs gearshift and full race 3 carb 650x & 3 carb 700x.

If I recall correctly you are right, neither the 650x nor the 700x was raced in the US, but weren't the Evinrude CC and Johnson RS were also excluded?

The guys in Europe tell me at first every one bought Mercs in F3 and later everyone switched to OMCs.